Salary Cap: Red Wings 2024-25 - next season cap discussion

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Did throw some new extensions there.

New deals for RFAs, Seider, Raymond, Veleno, Berggren

Didn't sign any outside UFAs, just extended Kane, Sprong, Fischer and Perron.

Promoted Edvinsson.

1710163175513.png

These figures did leave on 22k of cap space.

But the idea is to give some +35 aged bonuses for either Kane or Perron to exceed the cap, if needed.

There's still 22 million of space opening for season 2025-26 (estimated 92.0M cap) and no real pressure for raises, so we can eat few millions from 2025-26 to this 2024-25 season cap. +35 contracts will do the thing.

Long-term outlook:

1710163355240.png

And rest of the overall numbers. All the retaining slots are open.

1710163421938.png

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would make a big push to sign Pesce or Montour.

Holl and Petry can take turns sitting in the press box. Maybe we get lucky and someone takes them off waivers.

I would look at Teravainen and Tarasenko among the forwards. Toffoli is worth a look. I'd at least check the price on Lindholm. Would not mind bringing Bert back if we can get a bargain :)

Twinger

Sep 28, 2017

Holl and Petry can take turns sitting in the press box. Maybe we get lucky and someone takes them off waivers.

I would look at Teravainen and Tarasenko among the forwards. Toffoli is worth a look. I'd at least check the price on Lindholm. Would not mind bringing Bert back if we can get a bargain :)
I would like Toffoli. Defence is the biggest place I'd like changes though

Goalie I'm at 🤷 on what to do there

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Defense is so cluttered, but first glance I would trade Fabbri, Maatta and Holl. If you can't trade Holl buy him out. Id run Ed-Johansson pairing for the ELC love. Hope one of Mazur, Kasper or Danielson makes the team.

You have some UFA options but not sure on giving out more 29-30 year old term contracts. Think it's time we figure out what we have in some of these youngins.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
5 year deals for Mo and Ray should trigger a firing...

Yeah, Yzerman had to resign from Tampa GM-duties, when he did those shorter deals for all Hedman, Kucherov, Vasilevskiy, Point, JT Miller, Cirelli and Sergachev.

Pesce is on my wishlist. Real solid shutdown guy to pair with Ed. Gives us a playoff worthy d core, especially if Chiarot can carry this year into next.

Adding Brett Pesce would be huge thing. Think it would be possible, even with a tightening cap. If we roll all bonuses from Perron and Kane to next season, and put them in with a minimum base-salary 775k.

But if we get Pesce, I don¨t see him as Edvinsson's partner. He'll go the 2nd pair and would play with Chiarot. Edvinsson-Petry would be nice mentoring pair and getting the easy assingments. Määttä-Holl would be only reserve, and we would probably roll with 13+8, using 11+7 system more than this season.

So far, all evolving-hockey Estimations between 4 to 8 years for Pesce are at 6.2 - 6.8M neighborhood.

Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Defense is so cluttered, but first glance I would trade Fabbri, Maatta and Holl. If you can't trade Holl buy him out. Id run Ed-Johansson pairing for the ELC love. Hope one of Mazur, Kasper or Danielson makes the team.

You have some UFA options but not sure on giving out more 29-30 year old term contracts. Think it's time we figure out what we have in some of these youngins.
Agreed. I would give up a pick for someone ti take his contract. Maybe even Fabbri or Maatta could be part of that deal.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Wings need to clear some spots this summer. Fabbri, Maata, and Holl all need to move out on current deals. Ghost and Reimer will probably leave via UFA.

Ed and Berggy are ready to be up. Aljo is out of options and too good to just waive.

I'm hoping for Seider on an 8.125x8, Ray 5x6.5, Fisher 1.25 x 1, Kane 2 x 5mil, Berggy 1.2 x1, Aljo 900k x1 or 2.

I really like Sprong, but I don't think the value is going to be there for a bottom line guy that plays on the PP.

Fabbri and Maata I think are tradeable if you hold 1 mil each bringing them down to 3 and 2 respectively. Holl I don't think anyone is touching with a 10 foot pole, so we are looking at probably having to buy him out.

1710172100348.png

Making all of those moves gives us just under 11.5mil to trade/sign a top 6 forward, top 4 RD, and a 4th line player. This assumes we call Kasper up. If not we'd need another 4th line center.

Reactions: lilidk

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Perron should not be brought back...

his production is way down, despite still getting good ice time, and he takes too many lazy penalties. He can't keep up with the pace of today's NHL.
For 1.2 why not. He probably not going to like it and move on

Wings need to clear some spots this summer. Fabbri, Maata, and Holl all need to move out on current deals. Ghost and Reimer will probably leave via UFA.

Ed and Berggy are ready to be up. Aljo is out of options and too good to just waive.

I'm hoping for Seider on an 8.125x8, Ray 5x6.5, Fisher 1.25 x 1, Kane 2 x 5mil, Berggy 1.2 x1, Aljo 900k x1 or 2.

I really like Sprong, but I don't think the value is going to be there for a bottom line guy that plays on the PP.

Fabbri and Maata I think are tradeable if you hold 1 mil each bringing them down to 3 and 2 respectively. Holl I don't think anyone is touching with a 10 foot pole, so we are looking at probably having to buy him out.

View attachment 834071

Making all of those moves gives us just under 11.5mil to trade/sign a top 6 forward, top 4 RD, and a 4th line player. This assumes we call Kasper up. If not we'd need another 4th line center.
Kasper probably gonna spend extra year in GR

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Yeah, Yzerman had to resign from Tampa GM-duties, when he did those shorter deals for all Hedman, Kucherov, Vasilevskiy, Point, JT Miller, Cirelli and Sergachev.
Hedman signed his extension in the middle of a 23 point season. After having had 20 and 26 point seasons prior.
Kucherov and Point signed 3 year deals so they would still be RFA after
J.T. Miller was already 25 when he signed his deal so most of it was UFA years
Vasi was a back-up goalie with 40 games played to his record when he signed his 2nd deal
Cirelli only ever signed his ELC with Yzerman
And Sergachev never signed an Yzerman contract at all.

Reactions: flychairman

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Agree.

Trading Holl and Maatta gives Detroit the cap to bring up Ed and sign Pesce for 6ish million.

Trading Fabbri gives Detroit flexibility to bring in a major upgrade or bring up a rookie.

Christian Fischer can go bye bye. He’s played his role well but has as much value as Drew Miller.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Just hard to see summer trades, as already signed players going out. Those usually deadline deals. No one will add Määttä or Fabbri with an off-season trade, when there's also UFA market.

Big hockey trade (like DeBrincat) could change things, but those are tough to predict what could happen.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Raymond is getting longer and a lot more than 5.9. Seider will get 8 years. Again, Yzerman is not a magician who can just do whatever he wants. Perron shouldn't be back and will get more than 1.2 in the UFA market.

think DRW could lock up Seider (8 yrs) for larkins contract or slightly less. think we can agree larkin proved he is the top dog here, so no reason for seider to ask for more.

Larkin is not that level of player where no one should get more than him. He is no Nick Lidstrom.

Reactions: odin1981

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
Wish they could have traded any of there 3-7 d men away.. maybe in the offseason. I wouldnt resign kane or perron. We need a elite skater than can carry the puck threw the neutral zone. Thats the only thing id look for in free agency. We need to start bringing up the kids and seeing what we have. Kane is nice for points but otherwise he is a liability out there. Terrible along the boards and scared of contact. His skating has been bad. He is a shell of what he was.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Just hard to see summer trades, as already signed players going out. Those usually deadline deals. No one will add Määttä or Fabbri with an off-season trade, when there's also UFA market.

Big hockey trade (like DeBrincat) could change things, but those are tough to predict what could happen.

This is why I think you'd have to retain a mil on both guys. At that price people aren't going to be able to sign the equiv as an FA (way more money and years), and they may appeal to teams not wanting to lock themselves into long term salary. Neither are bad player, just not really what the Wings need now. We have rookies lookinhg for those spots and we need legit top 4/ top 6 upgrades which those guys don't fill. 2 mil for a solid vet bottom pair dman and 3 mil for a 3rd liner isn't bad.

It should also be noted that the UFA market this year is pretty terrible. If some of the TD dealt guys sign it will get even worse, so you may not find better options than our guys at their price points. I don't think you are getting a good return but for futures or like a 5th or below I think they are good enough that teams would take a flyer.

Holl is a lost cause. He's a buyout if we want to get rid of him.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Groundhog Day, same team, same results. This team is stuck in neutral unless it gets a real 2C.

$10.7M for Copp and Compher, I'd rather have an $8.7M center and a $2M player for the same money.

This team is screwed unless Danielson pans out. I really hope he does.

Reactions: rangersblues

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Groundhog Day, same team, same results. This team is stuck in neutral unless it gets a real 2C.

$10.7M for Copp and Compher, I'd rather have an $8.7M center and a $2M player for the same money.

This team is screwed unless Danielson pans out. I really hope he does.
I'm not quite that dire but in some sense I agree. If you want to build like Boston, Stl, and even Vegas to some extent you desperately need those good two-way centers. At least a PPG guy and someone in the 60s/70s. Compher and Copp cannot even temporarily replace a guy like Larkin.

Losing your #1 center should hurt but a depth team should be able to survive a week or two without him. Our offense entirely dries up when Larkin goes down. None of our centers besides him have very good offensive IQ.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
I wouldn't assume Husso's roster spot is safe. It's unlikely they could find a taker on the trade market, but I wouldn't rule out a buyout. He's been outplayed by two goalies making $900k and $1.5 million this year.

Reactions: flychairman

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Pretty much same roster as last season ... we need to eat salary if we must but the likes of holl copp fabbri need to be gone

Cant see how perron is brought back. Copp signing was a disaster from day 1, eat 2 million and replace him with kasper as 3c with berggren as his linemate

Pesce would be nice but I cant see that happening

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad