Salary Cap: Red Wings 2024-25 - next season cap discussion

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
There are quite many RHDs at UFA market...

T.Myers
Barrie
Tanev
Zaitsev
Klingberg
Pesce
Dumba
Montour
E.Johnson
Matt Roy
DeMelo
Schultz
Lyubuskin
Walker
Carrier
Miller
DeAngelo
Hakanpää
P.Myers
Shattenkirk
Montour and Pesce, are the only interesting names. And i believe Florida keeps Montour, making Ekblad available for trade. DeBrincat-style trade, NTC, Windsor-native, Wings fan, wears 5 because of Lidström. Another local boy who wants to come home and age matches our timeline. Ekblad would be "defense's Larkin", age wise.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Let's march our two most important (currently) pieces of the future directly to unrestricted free agency. Not to mention at five years you won't really garner any AAV savings of a bridge. It's easily the worst option available except for maybe strong arming then into one year deals which would double down on a bad decision on term with a bunch of hard feelings involved.

You don't f*** around with the future core to pinch pennies now. We have a ton of pennies to go around the next couple years. It's 3-4-5+ years out when the next wave of key ELCs expire that we need to be careful financially. 8 years skips that nonsense. Unless everything implodes and then it doesn't matter anyway.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
A tldr

If 8 yr deals for Mo and Ray turn out bad, nothing else we do matters.

They are too integral to try and hedge the bet in any way.

Reactions: RedHawkDown

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Montour and Pesce, are the only interesting names. And i believe Florida keeps Montour, making Ekblad available for trade. DeBrincat-style trade, NTC, Windsor-native, Wings fan, wears 5 because of Lidström. Another local boy who wants to come home and age matches our timeline. Ekblad would be "defense's Larkin", age wise.

If we can convince them, sign Guentzel and Pesce. Find a cheap 6/7 RD.

Re-sign Kane, Sprong, Veleno, Berggren (and keep him up!)

Dump Fabbri, Maatta, Holl, don't re-sign Fischer or Perron

Reactions: PelagicJoe

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
If we can convince them, sign Guentzel and Pesce. Find a cheap 6/7 RD.

Re-sign Kane, Sprong, Veleno, Berggren (and keep him up!)

Dump Fabbri, Maatta, Holl, don't re-sign Fischer or Perron
No chance we sign seider raymond x8,resign sprong kane and then go sign both guentzel pesce longterm

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Matt Roy or Pesce would be good additions. Yzerman would need to find away to unload a D or two though.

Holl would probably have to be a buyout but I think he could get at least some value for Maatta. I’d bring back Ghost if yzerman could unload Maatta and Holl.

Walman - Seider
Edvinsson - Pesce/Roy
Chairot - Petry
Maatta/Holl

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Matt Roy or Pesce would be good additions. Yzerman would need to find away to unload a D or two though.

Holl would probably have to be a buyout but I think he could get at least some value for Maatta. I’d bring back Ghost if yzerman could unload Maatta and Holl.

Walman - Seider
Edvinsson - Pesce/Roy
Chairot - Petry
Maatta/Holl
The trick will be to land a better RD on the market and flip the less desirable one to a team that needs a RD. And I'd much rather see if someone wants Holl for $2.5M and have $1M dead for 2 years than for 4 or take a change of scenery contract back. Hell, maybe even Carolina. If they can't afford Pesce at $6M+ maybe they settle for Holl at $2-3M.

Karmanos doesn't own them anymore.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
A tldr

If 8 yr deals for Mo and Ray turn out bad, nothing else we do matters.

They are too integral to try and hedge the bet in any way.

You know, there is a middle ground between greatness and shitiness. Ray is a team worst -19, and Seider doesn't look like he's progressing at all. Granted that Mo started out with a high level of play, you'd still think he'd get better. Maybe it's just a matter of getting a better partner.

A bridge deal for either isn't the end of the world. There are other prospects that could eventually wind up commanding more money.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
You risk them costing more on the cap longer you wait. I'd 100% do seider ... raymond I'm iffy on cause wed have to resign both after from 30-38 likely which might cause issues

Might have no choice
Yip...

But they'd have to prove they're worth it first...if they do...good for you and them...if they dont..good for you once agsin and only bad for them...

It's much easier to stomach paying for achieved success then for potential

Reactions: 14ari13

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Yip...

But they'd have to prove they're worth it first...if they do...good for you and them...if they dont..good for you once agsin and only bad for them...

It's much easier to stomach paying for achieved success then for potential

I Think they're both worth it the problem for me is the 2nd 8 year contract. I'd feel more at ease if they signed the 8 year deal at 25 years old

We just have to get a good cap hit on both guys

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The 8-year dels did give a big advantage on years 2019-2024, when the cap did pretty much stand pat.

But Future estimations for cap rise are huge. The short bridge or medium long-term + later extensions will cost more on the 3rd contract, but the cap will be rising all the time like mad. You pay more, but there's always cap space.

These corona losses for NHL economy are finally behind and the future will be different. Bridge deals will become the steals again and 8-years after that will be reansonable contracts. Don't have to worry for overpaying.

That cap growth change is some mathematics which many won't understand.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I'd prefer 3 years @ 5.7m (closer to dahlins 2nd contract) and then give seider a bigger 8 year contract. You may have to pay a bit more on the 8 year deal if seider explodes a bit more offensively and the cap goes up, but it means you get him for a guaranteed 11 more years vs just a guaranteed 8 more years. Things get trickier once guys are UFAs.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
If Seider and Raymond are not worth their 8M contracts in a 8 year deal, it doesn’t matter what else we do - the rebuild has to start over. Especially Seider. So it really doesn’t matter…you have to sign them to 8 years to try and lock in some discount years in the second half of the contract…and if they don’t live up to, we’re f***ed anyways, so it doesn’t matter.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He has the worst 5v5 on-ice save % of any Detroit regular skater by a fair amount. So likely just unlucky relative to others.

Or higher QoC. He is playing against the opponent's top line, and he racked up the minuses while DBoss was injured. So basically means the top line sucks without DBoss, which is rather evident at this point. The whole freakin team sucks without DBoss.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
W/O somehow dumping Maatta and Fabbri, moving Husso as part of a goalie pckg upgrade and buying out Holl, I do not see how we will realistically improve in nets, the blueline and upfront when factoring in the significant raises coming to Ray and Mo...

We need a legit #1 goalie to hold down the fort until Cossa is ready

We need another legit 7 plus million dman as well as SE in the lineup

We need a reliable higher end #2 center plus Danielson in the lineup

SY has his work cut out

Reactions: JediOrderPizza

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
W/O somehow dumping Maatta and Fabbri, moving Husso as part of a goalie pckg upgrade and buying out Holl, I do not see how we will realistically improve in nets, the blueline and upfront when factoring in the significant raises coming to Ray and Mo...

We need a legit #1 goalie to hold down the fort until Cossa is ready

We need another legit 7 plus million dman as well as SE in the lineup

We need a reliable higher end #2 center plus Danielson in the lineup

SY has his work cut out

I agree. I'd prioritize goaltending then D if there's any room. Don't see room to add another C given what we have invested in Copp and Compher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad