Red Dead Redemption 2 - Reder and Deader

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Anyone getting the White and Black stranger mission bug? I try to remove the last poster in Rhodes, but it keeps putting it back on the light post. It's annoying, but nothing terribly bad to get frustrated over.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I am not really feeling these Native American missions. Don't get me wrong, I love how they introduced them in the game, but the story between Rain Falls and and Cpt. Flavours is just not believable, while the missions come off as boring Splinter Cell-esque (which the game isn't made for) or frustrating (considering how far the missions are).

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I'm not goin to read this whole thread to avoid spoilers, what do you guys think of RD2 so far? worth picking up.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Yes, it's just the first part where it's a farming simulator, that's boring.

I actually disagree.

I feel like the epilogue detracts from the game's ending, personally....and only partly because it's ridiculously long winded.

If I could go back and do it again, I would've stopped playing after chapter 6.

Speed up chapter 1 and 6, remove chapter 5. Leave chapters 2-4 alone - they are pretty much perfect.

...just my 2 cents.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
what flaws?

Copy paste from the review thread, cuz I'm lazy :laugh::

Red Dead Redemption II (XB1) - 9/10

This game is simultaneously awesome and frustrating, for a few reasons.

On the plus side:

1) Narrative - An incredible journey. Somewhat generic western film style, but top notch in its delivery.

2) Characters - Arthur quickly became one of my favourite protagonists in any game (or any media, for that matter), and the band of outlaws is just fantastic. You love some and absolutely hate others, which to me says they are all extremely well done.

3) World - A world that feels alive for sure, with tons in it to explore. Even the environmental graphics are amazing.

On the negative side:

1) Controls - Janky controls for looting and cover mechanics make the game frustrating at times - particularly where time is of the essence.

2) Pacing - The game drags in parts. I found chapter 1 to be very slow (lots of talking on horses), chapter 5 to be completely unnecessary and even take away from the story line rather than add to it, and the epilogue to be drawn out with busy work quests. At times it felt like one of those movies that went on too long, to the detriment of the plot.

3) Travel - The game lacks a true fast travel. At the beginning of the game, this is understandable, as they want you to explore and your main quests are contained within a smaller area. Late game, however, the quests take place across the map which means you need to do a lot of horse riding. I mean a LOT of horse riding. I found this to be tedious at times.

Overall, though, the best game of 2018 in my opinion (although Spider-Man came a lot closer than I thought it would) and an absolute gem, if a bit rough around the edges.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Some lady on a horse - You’re actually choosing to look like that?

Arthur - Nothing to concern yourself with.

Ouch. lol

I was carrying a 3 Star white tail deer pelt too! Bitch this is dirty work!

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Stalling out on any main story missions now around chapter 4. I’ve been doing nothing but side missions for a week now, and I’m just now getting into hunting.
last main story beat I did was getting the kid back

While hunting i killed and skinned two 3 Star muskrats and left the carcasses on the ground. I continue to hunt around the area (just outside emerald ranch) scoping out animals when eventually I spot some ravens. One is a 3 Star so I kill him and run up to skin it when I realize those ravens had shown up to peck at the muskrat corpse I had left on the ground. I had been neglecting the hunting but it’s a lot of fun.

The more I play this game the more I like it.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Stalling out on any main story missions now around chapter 4. I’ve been doing nothing but side missions for a week now, and I’m just now getting into hunting.
last main story beat I did was getting the kid back

While hunting i killed and skinned two 3 Star muskrats and left the carcasses on the ground. I continue to hunt around the area (just outside emerald ranch) scoping out animals when eventually I spot some ravens. One is a 3 Star so I kill him and run up to skin it when I realize those ravens had shown up to peck at the muskrat corpse I had left on the ground. I had been neglecting the hunting but it’s a lot of fun.

The more I play this game the more I like it.
I was hunting for snakes and came across a rattlesnake which I was tracking. Right when I was about to pounce on the snake, a dumb hawk picked it up and flew off with it.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
So many side missions are popping up in Chapter 4 that it’s distracting me. I haven’t bothered upgrading or finding a new horse but maybe it’s time.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
I was hunting for snakes and came across a rattlesnake which I was tracking. Right when I was about to pounce on the snake, a dumb hawk picked it up and flew off with it.

I have to get back into the hunting. I'm in chapter 4 mostly dawdling and mopping up sidequests (wasted a ton of cash on that electric chair guy).

The game is beautiful but frustrating. I was riding from somewhere into Saint Denis and I put it into cinematic camera.

I guess I stopped paying attention because I hit this guy and got thrown, and he starts shooting at me so I have to kill him and get a $15 murder bounty so I leave.

I exit the area and wait a little and go back to take the train because there isn't any fast travel, some cop spots me and suddenly I've got guys shooting at me, so I leave while taking some of them out, going west across the bridge on my beautiful Appaloosa nag with maxed levels and then the Pinkerton show up and those f***in mutts kill me and Cherry (my horse). A few days ago they ambushed me in the woods and killed me and took my horse, and the entry level horse is way slow and weak.

I went out for a little and got right back at it when I got home, but I really want fast travel patched in, even if it's only to cities and camp.

Reactions: S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I have to get back into the hunting. I'm in chapter 4 mostly dawdling and mopping up sidequests (wasted a ton of cash on that electric chair guy).

The game is beautiful but frustrating. I was riding from somewhere into Saint Denis and I put it into cinematic camera.

I guess I stopped paying attention because I hit this guy and got thrown, and he starts shooting at me so I have to kill him and get a $15 murder bounty so I leave.

I exit the area and wait a little and go back to take the train because there isn't any fast travel, some cop spots me and suddenly I've got guys shooting at me, so I leave while taking some of them out, going west across the bridge on my beautiful Appaloosa nag with maxed levels and then the Pinkerton show up and those ****in mutts kill me and Cherry (my horse). A few days ago they ambushed me in the woods and killed me and took my horse, and the entry level horse is way slow and weak.

I went out for a little and got right back at it when I got home, but I really want fast travel patched in, even if it's only to cities and camp.
I've spent way too long dawdling as well, so yesterday I went hardcore after the missions and I think I am on the last run in chapter 6. I can't wait until I beat the game, because then I am going to go crazy with money, hunting, and everything else. Steal a couple of trains, open the map more, and start robbing peeps.

No doubt, I had a frustration yesterday where all I did was pick up a pelt from my horse and take it to the trapper in Saint Denis. I was multitasking and responding to a text while walking my character at the slowest pace. Well, it seems I kept running into this one guy who pushes me to the ground, I drop my pelt, and starts to fight. During the fight, I accidentally punch another onlooker so now I have to fight two people. I knock them out, but of course the ****ing police were called. I had to retrieve my pelt and make a break out of the area to sell ONE stupid pelt.

When I was trying to get to my horse, she was glitched into the gate on the side of the market and I literally could not get on her since the game kept taking my character off. Police started shooting me while I was carrying my pelt with my horse stuck, so I had to run around the corner, whistle my horse (fortunately came out from the glitch), stow my pelt, and run out of the city until my wanted level is gone to just come back to sell one freakin' pelt. Definition of insanity.

Last edited:

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Once in Valentine & twice in St Denis I've choked out random strangers, causing fights, murders & wanted levels, because getting on your horse & choking someone is the same button.

It always happens when I am leaving the bath so maybe I just shouldn't bathe my character.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
While trying to pillage a robbers horse’s sidebag I accidentally punched the horse and it kicked me and I died.

Is there any particular reason to draw out the main story missions other than for the sake of drawing it out? Will LOTS of important side missions get locked out? Cuz I’d like to focus on the main story for a while. Like what’s the best camp/homebase to be at? I’m on the third one, Chapter 4, southwest of St Denis and it’s a total bitch to navigate with the indoor and outdoor plus upstairs areas. Plus it’s just so far out of the way. The first two camps were much more central.

Last edited:

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
While trying to pillage a robbers horse’s sidebag I accidentally punched the horse and it kicked me and I died.

Is there any particular reason to draw out the main story missions other than for the sake of drawing it out? Will LOTS of important side missions get locked out? Cuz I’d like to focus on the main story for a while. Like what’s the best camp/homebase to be at? I’m on the third one, Chapter 4, southwest of St Denis and it’s a total ***** to navigate with the indoor and outdoor plus upstairs areas. Plus it’s just so far out of the way. The first two camps were much more central.

JMO but I think the next camp you go to is the best one.

Reactions: Pilky01

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
So I just got St Denis for a few missions and I have yet to knock someone over or hit anyone while on my horse. I know this was a big complaint but I don’t get it there seems to be lots of room to navigate. You just have to ride slower in certain areas I don’t find it bad at all.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
So I just got St Denis for a few missions and I have yet to knock someone over or hit anyone while on my horse. I know this was a big complaint but I don’t get it there seems to be lots of room to navigate. You just have to ride slower in certain areas I don’t find it bad at all.
I felt the same way at first, but it happens. You'll be coming out of a saloon and knock into someone hard, or press the wrong button and punch/choke someone. Or you'll get a tiny bit impatient and take a turn a little faster than you should on the horse.

In all honesty, I'm OK with it for the most part: Roll playing like this, you should be careful going fast in town, just like in real life. But in practicality, it's hard to do when you are in & out of there a lot/doing missions in the city. Hard to just not "accidentally" go a little too fast.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
Issues I have with it is when you call your horse and it bumps into someone and it becomes a crime. Also when you are in cinematic view (cruise control) and the horse bumps someone. I also lost the arabian horse when I took a train and the horse was hit by the train as it pulled into the destination during the arrival cut scene.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Issues I have with it is when you call your horse and it bumps into someone and it becomes a crime. Also when you are in cinematic view (cruise control) and the horse bumps someone. I also lost the arabian horse when I took a train and the horse was hit by the train as it pulled into the destination during the arrival cut scene.

Ah I haven’t called horse yet while in town. I mean I’m sure I’ll accidentally bump or choke someone eventually but from reading online I thought it was gonna be like walking in Times Square or something. :laugh:

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Wait...there’s somewhere to bathe your guy?
Ya. In valentine it's in the hotel, just talk to the guy at the desk. In the rest of the towns it seems to be at all saloons (at least the few I've tried). Talk to the bartender, I think it might be hidden under a first level button to open up the rent a room/rent a tub option but I can't remember right now.

It's cheap & they wash your cloths too. NPCs will sometimes react to you when you are gross, and will also remark when you are not, but it's more like "hi good looking" and things like that.

I dont often, but when I notice Arthur covered in dirt during a cut scene, I make a mental note to hit the tub on my next trek into a town.

Edit: Its a stupid mini game & you can pay for help, which I suspect also led to things they decided to cut from the game. Note: To be fully clean, you gotta click the buttons to wash your head/each arm/each leg from what I've noticed. As you knock off extremities the button labels change to new ones. I believe there is some kind of boost associated to being fully clean for a bit, but I honestly can't recall right now.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Anyone getting the White and Black stranger mission bug? I try to remove the last poster in Rhodes, but it keeps putting it back on the light post. It's annoying, but nothing terribly bad to get frustrated over.

I didn’t have that glitch but I’ve now done it twice

It always sucks when the game doesn’t save or something and you have to do something twice

My second time through I knew what would happen on each poster so I immediately just ran up to the last guy and knocked his ass out

Maybe it’s jusy a glitchy mission

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad