Red Dead Redemption 2 - Reder and Deader

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
thx for the clarification.
i am just reading through a few reviews and watching some yt clips and i must say the more i see the more i am leaning towards not buying it. the two main positives are the graphic/environment/big map and the story of course... knowing me that will be not enough to outweigh the massive grind that seems to follow you through all missions. following specific waypoints in such a big "free" world game is going to kill the fun for me. also the endless suppy of enemies if u commit a crime just screams grinding 24/7 to me. can i not just kill a village and own it like i could in skyrim... oh well. i think i pass.

but i notice a lot of free roam games are like this lately... the last witcher game was heavily script oriented as well.

You can absolutely go crazy in a town and the police will chase you and its not the end of the world. Its not like you need to fight everyone off. Just need to escape the town, hide for 30 seconds, then go back to town to pay off your bounty

I mean only you will know if you will like it or not, but if you prefer a good story/characters/environment over a challenge (both mechanically and mentally, there aren't many moments where you have to think hard on what to do or where to go next, you will always know) then you will like the game

As it has been discussed to death, the grindy elements of the game are only there if you want them. You can easily beat the game with the horse/guns/equipment you start with. If you are liking the game the grindy stuff is a nice bonus

Personally it was one of my favorite games ever. I think people have been excessively harsh on the game about certain trivial things but I'm no critic

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
i am just reading through a few reviews and watching some yt clips and i must say the more i see the more i am leaning towards not buying it. the two main positives are the graphic/environment/big map and the story of course... knowing me that will be not enough to outweigh the massive grind that seems to follow you through all missions. following specific waypoints in such a big "free" world game is going to kill the fun for me. also the endless suppy of enemies if u commit a crime just screams grinding 24/7 to me. can i not just kill a village and own it like i could in skyrim... oh well. i think i pass.

but i notice a lot of free roam games are like this lately... the last witcher game was heavily script oriented as well.

If you enjoy video games, RDR2 is absolutely worth experiencing.

One of the reasons the critics are so loud is because, as enjoyable as the game is, it could have been a lot better still.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City

There's no grind. I have no idea where you got the idea that there's a grind. In fact, it's the opposite. People, including myself, have gripes that the "grindy" elements don't pay off at all. You can go the entire game without grinding for anything.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
To jump on what others are saying here, think of it like an action game that takes place in an open world, not an open world RPG. Great story/characters, beautiful map, cool things to experience, but you aren't changing the game world based on your play style, and you have limited ways to change/control your actual character as well.

Really depends if you only like certain types of games. If you are more open to games beyond RPGs, it is 100% worth getting; I love it and I'm an RPG/Strategy guy - I don't even play games like God of War or Uncharted and I still loved it.

Reactions: S E P H

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
To jump on what others are saying here, think of it like an action game that takes place in an open world, not an open world RPG. Great story/characters, beautiful map, cool things to experience, but you aren't changing the game world based on your play style, and you have limited ways to change/control your actual character as well.

Really depends if you only like certain types of games. If you are more open to games beyond RPGs, it is 100% worth getting; I love it and I'm an RPG/Strategy guy - I don't even play games like God of War or Uncharted and I still loved it.

Well said. Its not near the depth of an RPG but if you enjoy a good western it is a pretty fun adventure with a lot to explore.

It would of been pretty cool if they would of had some encounters with non fictional characters like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. I believe RDR2 takes place in 1899? so that would severely limit some of the more famous wild west outlaws/gangs.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I've quit RDR2 and instead downloaded GTA5 for $20 off the PSN store.

It is much more fun. Also skipping the terrible cutscenes really helps pick up the pace. Worst part of GTA5 is listening to the characters speak.....which, ironically enough, might be the best part of RDR2.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I've quit RDR2 and instead downloaded GTA5 for $20 off the PSN store.

It is much more fun. Also skipping the terrible cutscenes really helps pick up the pace. Worst part of GTA5 is listening to the characters speak.....which, ironically enough, might be the best part of RDR2.

Yeah the games are at odds for sure: a lot more wacky, fun stuff to do in GTAV but the characters and story are probably the worst in the franchise. Whereas there isn't a lot of wild fun to be had in RDR2 but man, those characters and the story were great.

I guess that does bode well for the next GTA! A crossover between Ballad of Gay Tony and RDR2 would pretty much be the perfect GTA.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Fired the game up for the first time in three weeks and just as I expected, I have no idea what's going on, who people are and their relationship with Arthur, it's kinda disheartening and makes me want to play something else.

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
There is an interesting glitch on Red Dead online right now. You can get out of the map near Armadillo and take a long way around the West and South portions of the map to make it to Guarma. The world outside of the map is pretty cool. There are animals that barely move, half textured landscapes and other random stuff. Once you make it to Guarma the island is fully functional. Animals act normal, there are civilians and members of the army. I got out of the map with a buddy and we toured around the island for a few hours, hunting, exploring and slaughtering the army.

I am sure it will be patched eventually, so if anyone wants to do it now is the time. There are some videos online with some decent steps explaining it.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
If anything, it was already too long.

Chapter 5 and most of the epilogue felt like bad DLC in and of themselves. :laugh:

Can anyone explain what was the point of Chapter 5? What happened in it that advanced the story or the characters?

I guess we see Dutch finally cross the line but that could have been put anywhere, Chapter 5 didn't need to happen for Dutch to kill that woman.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Chapter 5 just felt like they wanted to spice it up the setting, like Mexico from RDR1

It was kind of dumb and forgettable, but honestly was probably the most fun chapter gameplay wise at least to me. Straight action from the start, no concern over side missions or little stuff to distract you, just pure fun

Reactions: tacogeoff

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
Chapter 5 stops the game dead in its track. It's like Wile E. Coyote smacking into the side of a mountain.

Also, the online part of the game is in desperate need of content. It's pretty much a hunting and fishing simulator at this point.

Reactions: Lias Andersson

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Im gonna jump back into this this weekend I think.

Me too! Gonna finish the game, I pretty much have like 3 missions left or so on chapter 6. I was waiting for this side quest to pop up in Saint Denis because it alters one of the cut scenes near the end and I cannot for the life of me get it to work so I guess I am going to skip it.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Chapter 5 was extremely short compared to everything else. It definitely isn’t the best part of the game in terms of story but the missions were fun. But yeah, I think the point of it was to show just that Dutch is really losing it.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Got the game on day 1 payed it non stop for like 2-3 weeks but got pretty bored. This game was too long for me. I decided to get back into it and finish the game this past week, finally finished chapter 6. The epilogue is really dragging..

I just wanna get revenge on Micah!!! (I don't know how it ends but I know we confront him at the very end, I really don't care for these epilogue missions

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Im gonna jump back into this this weekend I think.

Update: I played like one mission Friday and Saturday and both times just went on to something else.

-ride your horse to the dot
-watch cut scene
-ride horse to another dot
-cut scene
-shootout
-ride horse to another dot
-end mission
-repeat ad infinitum

It’s so frustrating because this game is so f***ing beautiful but it just feels like nothing matters in game.

I think a great example of this, and SPOILERS but not gonna tag it anymore, after Arthur gets diagnosed and his symptoms become such a big part of the emotional narrative the game is trying to tell, the fact that player control really is never affected by his illness really, really hurts my immersion. Arthur will go from coughing up blood and being barely able to stand up in the cut scene, and then it transition to player control and it’s ‘tap X to sprint’ like Arthur hadnt almost just died.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I am in epilogue part 2 now and am still enjoying the game. I think thats a valid criticism about the running, but doesnt make it a big deal for me. His stats get all lowered after being diagnosed. I actually like the game style of riding to the dot and doing a mission, its just simple and effective, I dont ask for much really. :laugh:

I am also far from a completionist, I am 90% done with the game and I think my compendum stuff is I found 138/450 or whatever it is, and I have yet to do the treasure maps I have. I just enjoy stories in games.

The game reminds me of a free roam open world uncharted game pretty much.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I played this game a lot up until the Epilogue and lost interest after a few hours of it. Just jumped back into it again last night as I want to play through the entire game to see how it ends. I agree with all the criticism here, but even then it's still an enjoyable game. Haven't gotten a chance to try out the online mode yet though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad