Red Dead Redemption 2 - Reder and Deader

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
I played this game a lot up until the Epilogue and lost interest after a few hours of it. Just jumped back into it again last night as I want to play through the entire game to see how it ends. I agree with all the criticism here, but even then it's still an enjoyable game. Haven't gotten a chance to try out the online mode yet though.

maybe I'm the only one but I really liked the epilogue

did you not play the first game? I feel like it was a great payoff from RDR1

It definitely was slow at times, but that didn't bother me, though I can see why it would bother some people if you're not totally invested in the story

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I loved all of the story. It was beautiful. I don't have any interest in playing the epilogue and a lot of that is due to how good the main story was and Arthur Morgan. I just watched the epilogue points on YT.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I loved all of the story. It was beautiful. I don't have any interest in playing the epilogue and a lot of that is due to how good the main story was and Arthur Morgan. I just watched the epilogue points on YT.

I just finished the epilogues. Totally worth it IMO.

I have to say, one of the best stories I have ever played from a video game, actually probably the best. Man, what a ride. Don't even care about clunkiness or controls, that was an epic journey. Kudos to everyone who had a part in making that game.

I don't even want to play multiplayer now, the single player was just too good.

Also if they released this game soundtrack on vinyl I’d buy it in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pay Carl

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I'm in the epilogue as we speak and it's sloooow and boring

the best part now is that New Austin has opened up and I get all nostalgic with the towns and stuff in there...that is great

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I'm in the epilogue as we speak and it's sloooow and boring

the best part now is that New Austin has opened up and I get all nostalgic with the towns and stuff in there...that is great

Epilogue part II is much better, and its worth it for the ending. I would also suggest watching all of the credits, which is probably like 5-10 minutes long.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Still blows my mind how easily everyone gets "bored" nowadays.

While it is a bit of a sign of the times for sure, it all comes back to pacing.

RDR2, while an overall great game in my opinion, is one of the worst games in my recent memory for this...which is saying a lot considering the amount of paint-by-numbers filler content in many modern open world games.

While it obviously wasn't a deal breaker for me personally, I think the criticism is more than valid.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Pacing was really my only issue with RDR2. It just sucks that it became so bad that I put down the game in chapter 3 and haven’t come back.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB

I agree. The pacing of the game for me was not that bad at all.

my kid didn't enjoy it, he thought it was too slow but then again he also plays fortnite for hours on end doing the same thing so maybe his idea of good pacing is running, collecting, shootout and done in 7-15mins...rinse and repeat lol.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I have crafted a total of 1 satchel so far.

I kind of want the story spoiled for me at this point. Its dragging on way too long. I did a mission last night where you have to ride a train and so my horse was left back where the train departed from and now I guess that horse is gone because its not in the stable and I cant see it on the map.

This is a tremendous but frustrating game. It is incredibly impressive but no chance its my GOTY.

This happened to me too haha, I think probably on the exact same mission. I lost my black Arabian that was 4/4 on bonding. It showed up on the map really far away, so I went to the stable and used my other Arabian but then the black one disappeared and was gone forever. Such a dumb oversight.

I just finished the game. I really enjoyed the storyline. The ending was a bit predictable, but it was still satisfying nonetheless. Looking forward to hunting and fishing all the legendary animals/fish. I think I'll skip the hidden treasure/dinosaur bones/dream catchers as stumbling around the map doesn't really interest me. Then it's time to finally give the online mode a shot.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I still havent traded it in an probably just wont. For as frustrating as the game is to me, I still want to get invested in it.

It is definitely a boring game though. I feel like just reposting that NakeyJakey video to explain why it is boring.

Last edited:

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
What blows my mind is people will straight up do things they don't enjoy just because the game gives them the option to.

Do people though? honest question. I didnt like fishing in the game, especially tough fish because it hurt my hands. So, I didnt fish. Never really crafted either for the most part. Still a ton of stuff to do and lots of hours in the game.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Yeah I played the entire game and only fished in the missions I had too and barely hunted. I only finished the side missions that were pretty straight forward. If someone asked me to get them stuff like sage I just wouldn’t do it.

The pacing stuff is just confusing. It’s meant to be a slow game. It takes place in 1899, after all.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I still havent traded it in an probably just wont. For as frustrating as the game is to me, I still want to get invested in it.

It is definitely a boring game though. I feel like just reposting that NakeyJakey video to explain why it is boring.

I can see ones opinion being this if you don't have anything invested into it or are not interested in the story. It is a slower game but it is also a western genre game that does a decent job in regards to creating a western world of that era.

Mission structure is another thing though in regards to the linear approach to them all. It really leaves no room to use your imagination but that is also what Rockstar is known for. So I guess to think they would do otherwise is very wishful thinking.

only thing that irks me about this game is that there is zero re play incentive. I wish they would of incorporated a way that your choices create more outcomes that effect the characters in the game like Witcher 3 but that is just as I said above wishful thinking lol.

Last edited:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
GTA 5 had lots of stuff to do outside of the mission structure. Obviously there aren't going to be planes and cars to steal, but why can't I buy a house? Why can't I buy a stage coach?

The game is actually a step backwards from RDR1 in terms of gameplay and enjoyment. I dont think it is wishful thinking to wish that RDR2 was a better game than RDR1.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
GTA 5 had lots of stuff to do outside of the mission structure. Obviously there aren't going to be planes and cars to steal, but why can't I buy a house? Why can't I buy a stage coach?

The game is actually a step backwards from RDR1 in terms of gameplay and enjoyment. I dont think it is wishful thinking to wish that RDR2 was a better game than RDR1.

or be able to rent a room full time at the saloons.

I found the exploration aspect of RDR2 very enjoyable as the world is so scenic. For me personally it was on par with the first RDR in terms of enjoyment. Now that I am finished the main story and secondary story it is a very nice lead in to restarting RDR. I don't think I will but they really did a great job in creating the feeling that you need to revisit it after you finish building the house.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I actually got into it over the weekend! I hunted the legendary bear, now all I need for that full outfit is one perfect boar, and one more perfect rabbit.

I feel like the game's UI is its worst aspect by a very wide margin. It is so clumsy and hard to follow. Keeping track of your tasks should be so much easier than this. It is what initially frustrated me away from the game. Now that I am getting over that I am starting to enjoy it for what it is a lot more.

The UI cost this game GOTY awards. No question in my mind. If it had been easier to track your missions and simply know what was going on it would have made a huge difference to the game's initial reception.

Im still in chapter 6, only about 4 or 5 missions left until the epilogue, but I have checked out of the main story. I have no interest in doing them right now. Also I didn't know missions disappear and reappear. I just finished the hunting missions with the old Civil War veteran.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

I don't disagree, but on the flip side, I'm continuously amazed at people who overlook weak gameplay because of "immersion" or "story-telling". Bioshock Infinite remains my most vivid example: what an unbelievably boring game with a cool (nonsensical) story and setting.

The problem is RDR2's rather short gameplay loop is established very early on and never changes. That's what leads to people getting fed up when the Epilogue keeps telling you stuff you don't really care about.

"Look, John is building the ranch from RDR1!!", man, I just don't care.... The scene were he proposes and the final confrontation are the only truly nice parts of the Epilogue, everything else was just fat that could have been trimmed.

Last edited:

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I don't disagree, but on the flip side, I'm continuously amazed at people who overlook weak gameplay because of "immersion" or "story-telling". Bioshock Infinite remains my most vivid example: what an unbelievably boring game with a cool (nonsensical) story and setting.

The problem is RDR2's rather short gameplay loop is established very early on and never changes. That's what leads to people getting fed up when the Epilogue keeps telling you stuff you don't really care about.

"Look, John is building the ranch from RDR1!!", man, I just don't care.... The scene were he proposes and the final confrontation are the only truly nice parts of the Epilogue, everything else was just fat that could have been trimmed.

^ I don't disagree with that, I think it's a valid criticism.

But, I actually enjoyed the game play during the missions so for me it was all good. I found it pretty fun.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
^ I don't disagree with that, I think it's a valid criticism.

But, I actually enjoyed the game play during the missions so for me it was all good. I found it pretty fun.

Agreed, I loved almost every minute I spent with Arthur. To the game's credit, the issues I have with the game only came up after I was done with it: they are the thinking man's problem, design criticism that doesn't really reflect on how fun the game is but how much better it might have been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad