Red Dead Redemption 2 - Reder and Deader

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I figured out the quick draw after failing one of the bounty missions like 10 times: there is a pressure balance. Pull too hard, and you fire right away, killing the person. Pull too lightly, he's too slow to pull his gun & you get shot. Pull in the "middle" of the trigger range and he pulls at the right speed to beat the other guy, gives you (a little) time to aim & you can shoot the gun out of the other persons hand.

I've never used it unless prompted by the mission, but I think I've only been prompted once or twice (just started chapter 6). Seems to only happen for missions that prompt you to use it. I'm not even sure if it's possible to do in the "normal" world?

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I'm in Chapter 6 and I know I'm nearing the end but I'm delaying it for whatever reason because I'm still enjoying it too much.

I really hate when you go to someone else from your camp for a mission and it ends up being Dutch just interrupting and taking you. I didn't want to deal with that ass for a mission.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I figured out the quick draw after failing one of the bounty missions like 10 times: there is a pressure balance. Pull too hard, and you fire right away, killing the person. Pull too lightly, he's too slow to pull his gun & you get shot. Pull in the "middle" of the trigger range and he pulls at the right speed to beat the other guy, gives you (a little) time to aim & you can shoot the gun out of the other persons hand.

I've never used it unless prompted by the mission, but I think I've only been prompted once or twice (just started chapter 6). Seems to only happen for missions that prompt you to use it. I'm not even sure if it's possible to do in the "normal" world?

There seem to be two "known" duels that you run into in the world outside of missions based off my own experience and some of the other posters in this thread. One is near the butcher in Valentine, the other is outside the saloon in Van Horn.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
This black jack gambler challenge will be the death of me. Need to hit THREE times and beat the dealer

I just played black jack for literally like 2 hours and didn’t get a single win off 3 hits

Thankfully just watched Netflix while I mindlessly played which made it better

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
So anyone have any thoughts on online yet? Still have yet to try it.

Every time I try to start I get bored immediately and turn it off. :dunno:

Anyway, has this been posted here yet? A great breakdown of pretty much exactly what is wrong with the game.

It is frustrating because it is such a beautiful game that I desperately want to spend time in, but it just feels like it could have been so much more.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
The ****er keeps running away no matter how slow I creep.

Are you crouching and constantly hitting X to calm it down? That's all I remember doing. You can lasso it when you're close enough, but I think it's better to approach it slowly while crouched and then pat it and mount it.

Finally forced myself to finish the epilogue. It was pretty bad. Slow pace buildup to a mediocre ending. The game should have ended without the epilogue.

I just started the epilogue the other day.
It became pretty obvious you'd play John once you saw Arthur's respect for him and his family and you knew Arthur was going to die. I just got to the point where he buys the crappy farm property in hopes of getting his wife back. I assume you run into and end up killing Micah/Dutch at some point.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Anyway, has this been posted here yet? A great breakdown of pretty much exactly what is wrong with the game.

It is frustrating because it is such a beautiful game that I desperately want to spend time in, but it just feels like it could have been so much more.

These games need more switches and knobs to give players a wider set of options.

If there is one game I honestly believe could benefit from adopting more of a RPG approach, it's this game. Doesn't need to be super complex either.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Are you crouching and constantly hitting X to calm it down? That's all I remember doing. You can lasso it when you're close enough, but I think it's better to approach it slowly while crouched and then pat it and mount it.

I just started the epilogue the other day.
It became pretty obvious you'd play John once you saw Arthur's respect for him and his family and you knew Arthur was going to die. I just got to the point where he buys the crappy farm property in hopes of getting his wife back. I assume you run into and end up killing Micah/Dutch at some point.

Dutch dies in the 1st game

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009

I was crouched and approaching extremely slowly. Never got close enough for the calm prompt to show.

I gave up.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City

I almost didn't want to watch that video because I loved the game but he really does make some great points. At the start of the video once I got a feel for the point he was going to make I actually thought of the exact mission he shows at 8:32 because I also attempted to do that mission the same exact way he did, by climbing onto the roof and the game wouldn't let me do it that way. It's especially egregious because right before that mission one of the characters hints for you to take that route by mentioning something about the window on the second floor so I was stunned that it forced you to go through the building.

I do disagree with him though about Rockstar having to fully commit to one extreme or the other. I think the insane success of their games shows that people love having both options. For me personally and for many other posters on here one of the great things about this game is that you can pick it up, play one story mission and then get sidetracked on the way to the next one doing a ton of other random stuff for hours before you actually pick up the story again. Sure, I would love more paths to completing missions but ultimately the game is still unbelievably good as it is.

Reactions: Pilky01

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO

I watched that video a few days ago and thought about posting it here, but didn't want to deal with any backlash that came with criticizing RDR2, haha.

As for the points made, I agree wholeheartedly with pretty much everything NakeyJakey says in his video. When it comes to open world games, I want to be able to experiment and figure out how to do things on my own, not get my hand held and pointed towards a yellow spot on the map. I got bored of RDR2 in chapter 3 and haven't gone back to it. I spent all of my money upgrading the camp, hoping that something would happen when it was fully upgraded, but no. And the fact that you can do nothing to help the camp and still get the same story is a real bummer for me. I'd rather watch the cutscenes in a film format because while the story was awesome, the gameplay in between the story was uninspired and got very old very quickly, in my opinion.

Reactions: S E P H

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
So anyone have any thoughts on online yet? Still have yet to try it.
I can't bring myself to play it...

Everytime I get online and start to do a mission I get into match-making and as soon as I see other players it just makes me want to leave. I feel as though other players will totally ruin the RDR2 experience. I have enough to do in single player, I'll likely just stick to that and play GTA5 online if I want to have an online open-world experience.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I watched that video a few days ago and thought about posting it here, but didn't want to deal with any backlash that came with criticizing RDR2, haha.

As for the points made, I agree wholeheartedly with pretty much everything NakeyJakey says in his video. When it comes to open world games, I want to be able to experiment and figure out how to do things on my own, not get my hand held and pointed towards a yellow spot on the map. I got bored of RDR2 in chapter 3 and haven't gone back to it. I spent all of my money upgrading the camp, hoping that something would happen when it was fully upgraded, but no. And the fact that you can do nothing to help the camp and still get the same story is a real bummer for me. I'd rather watch the cutscenes in a film format because while the story was awesome, the gameplay in between the story was uninspired and got very old very quickly, in my opinion.

Yep, agree with everything here.

And it is still a great game. I think that is why Jakey's video isn't getting a lot of hate. I think even the people who really enjoying the game (and I would include myself in that group) recognize that it has obvious flaws. They don't ruin the game, but they do spoil it a little.

The missions and a lack of fast travel are what really get me. I loaded the game last night and Arthur had a campsite going north of Strawberry. The horse wasn't nearby so I had to run down to Strawberry in order to call my horse from the stable there (horses magically teleport between stables but nowhere else :rolleyes: ) and then ride to where the missions markers were about 5 minutes away. It took me at least ten minutes between Arthur sitting at his camp north of Strawberry to actually being in a position to start a mission.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Yep, agree with everything here.

And it is still a great game. I think that is why Jakey's video isn't getting a lot of hate. I think even the people who really enjoying the game (and I would include myself in that group) recognize that it has obvious flaws. They don't ruin the game, but they do spoil it a little.

The missions and a lack of fast travel are what really get me. I loaded the game last night and Arthur had a campsite going north of Strawberry. The horse wasn't nearby so I had to run down to Strawberry in order to call my horse from the stable there (horses magically teleport between stables but nowhere else :rolleyes: ) and then ride to where the missions markers were about 5 minutes away. It took me at least ten minutes between Arthur sitting at his camp north of Strawberry to actually being in a position to start a mission.
I don't dislike the game at all. I think it's fantastic technically, and the creatives behind the story need to get a huge chunk of the credit for the overall game. The gameplay is just...very meh. I was expecting an actual open world with multiple options to accomplish things, a la the Dishonored games, or The Witcher 3. The fact that it isn't perfect doesn't mean it's a bad game, in my opinion. It just means there's room for improvement in RDR3.

Reactions: Pilky01

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
The lack of fast travel is an interesting issue. It forces players to experience the world and all the random stuff they threw in there. Some of the most fun missions and events in this game are the ones you just come upon organically that have nothing to do with the story. The illicit businesses were great, as were the homesteads and you can go through the entire game without even discovering those. Same with the two escapees that you keep running into all over the place. I can see how, as a developer if you took the time to fill the world the way they did they wouldn't want players to be able to jump from point to point. That being said, I got to a point in the late game where I didn't care about that stuff anymore and just wanted to finish the story. It was a pain constantly having to make the same ride from Blackwater back to camp or from Van Horn back to camp. It's a tough call.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I wish there was more to the camp... it seemed like such a great concept, but it ended up just being a small moving town, basically. The upgrades don't seem to really do anything, maybe that's my biggest problem with it.

But I still love RDR2. The things I feel are missing here are just making me want a robust cowboy/outlaw RPG game; this is more like an action game.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I wish there was more to the camp... it seemed like such a great concept, but it ended up just being a small moving town, basically. The upgrades don't seem to really do anything, maybe that's my biggest problem with it.

But I still love RDR2. The things I feel are missing here are just making me want a robust cowboy/outlaw RPG game; this is more like an action game.
Couldn't agree more. If they added a few RPG elements to RDR it would be pretty incredible.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014

Couldn't agree more. If they added a few RPG elements to RDR it would be pretty incredible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad