Really cannot understand the Bylsma hate

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Every team except for Chicago was unsuccessful.

No they weren't. Only one team got swept in the ECF because of their own refusal to play players properly or adjust, and, none of those other teams have Crosby or Malkin on them. No team failed as spectacularly or embarrassingly as the Pens did last year.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Great argument. I just showed you why it worked and stayed together, but yea, let's just call me names because you can't prove it otherwise.

"YOU'RE WRONG BECAUSE I SAID SO!"

No. You lied about the success of a line and were called out for it.

Did you honestly think that no one would check the stats you posted as "proof" of that lines success? Do you think that it's that easy to lie on the internet?

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
You seem to be living in your own reality. Tell me what games Iginla played on the third line.

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Jokinen-Dupuis
Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy

Tell me again that this team gets swept by Boston.

We can play the what if game all day but bottom line is Sid and Geno got shut out in 4 straight games. No combination of linemates or line juggling will help.

If you want to feel good about yourself I can pretend to agree with you that this is a far superior lineup that DB's (even the best player from that series is on your 4th line) and they lose in 5 games instead of 4. All hail you.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
Re: The OP;

This place is pretty silly overall. I don't come here very often just because the ranting and raving is ludicrous. All this board is is just beating a dead horse over and over. I think most people here actually think that if they were put in charge of the Penguins they'd win the Cup every year.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Either way, the whole team was shut out by Boston. If Sid and Geno couldn't score, you can't complain or make arguments for other players not scoring.

Furthermore, Iginla had 12 points in 15 games in playoffs. Seems like putting him on the 3rd line for scoring depth wasn't such a failure, eh?

Are you really trying to lie about more stats?

Iggy only had 3 points with Geno and Neal. The other 9 came from the PP and playing with Sid.

Stop making **** up.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Either way, the whole team was shut out by Boston. If Sid and Geno couldn't score, you can't complain or make arguments for other players not scoring.

Furthermore, Iginla had 12 points in 15 games in playoffs. Seems like putting him on the 3rd line for scoring depth wasn't such a failure, eh?

Iggy was on the third line for two games. What the hell are you talking about?

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
No. You lied about the success of a line and were called out for it.

Did you honestly think that no one would check the stats you posted as "proof" of that lines success? Do you think that it's that easy to lie on the internet?

lol

What lie? I posted statistics. Nothing more nothing less. You can interpret or ignore them as you see fit.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
No they weren't. Only one team got swept in the ECF because of their own refusal to play players properly or adjust, and, none of those other teams have Crosby or Malkin on them. No team failed as spectacularly or embarrassingly as the Pens did last year.

I don't know, Detroit blowing a 3-1 series lead over Chicago must be deemed as a failure, no? People sure seem to blame Bylsma for blowing a 3-1 lead over Tampa Bay while he had no Sid, no Geno, our top line was an enigmatic Kovalev, Letestu, and James Neal at the most snake-bitten he's ever been.

Face it, Bylsma does not get a fair shake for how much he's done. I just hope you idiot Yinzers don't chase him out of town right into the arms of one of our rivals so they can stomp us every year.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
We can play the what if game all day but bottom line is Sid and Geno got shut out in 4 straight games. No combination of linemates or line juggling will help.

If you want to feel good about yourself I can pretend to agree with you that this is a far superior lineup that DB's (even the best player from that series is on your 4th line) and they lose in 5 games instead of 4. All hail you.

Pushing the right buttons is part of a coach's job. JQ did so when Toews was losing his mind in the Detroit series and they were at risk of getting bounced as result. He moved Kane up and those two were dynamite from there on out.

We had any number of options at our disposal to change the narrative of that series. DB chooses to move TK up with Geno and leave KCD as is.

But DB did explain he had too many options. And he had that promise to Dupes to uphold.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
Re: The OP;

This place is pretty silly overall. I don't come here very often just because the ranting and raving is ludicrous. All this board is is just beating a dead horse over and over. I think most people here actually think that if they were put in charge of the Penguins they'd win the Cup every year.

It is, however, interesting (and amusing) to pop on occasionally just to watch the vitriol directed to anyone who dares to disagree or add nuance to any of the shibboleths and stock opinions here.

OK, let's try this: Presuming Ray Shero sucks, as does the headcase MAF, the slug veteran D, all the smurfs and 5'2" WBS rejects populating the vast majority of the forward 12, I can only conclude that the Pens are 70-24-2 for the last 96 games due to Sid and Geno. What else could it be?

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Last year Bylsma was given a roster with a ton of options of how he could construct a team for any playoff series... he botched things royally. Outside of his first season he has been embarrassed in the playoffs every year. He has a half dozen players who left the team and publicly questioned him.

I mean he is just another Eddie Johnson... EJ's second stint with the pens he won or tied 64% of his games, made the playoffs every year and was upset in those playoffs too often. When you have multiple superstars you are going to win. As we have said before, EJ used to be the record holder for most wins as a coach, but that never made him a great coach...

Byslma has some serious advantages, he has some shortcomings, and until he can prove that his shortcomings aren't hindering the team in the playoffs, he is going to be suspect in the eyes of many here no matter how many regular season wins he accrues.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Put the bhawks bruins game on right now. 4 on 3 OT.

Bruins use Bergeron, chara and Boychuck. We use gladams plus orpik.

That's just one of the reasons though.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
My hate for Bylsma was real after the 2012 playoffs. That was such a disgraceful performance I just wanted him gone. I think he's learned though, and has done an excellent job over the past two seasons. The pens are getting better defensively, and better as a team in general. The pens are on pace for 58 wins and 120 points despite getting ravaged by injuries, that's remarkable. Playoffs are a funny thing though, I think it's somewhat a roll of the dice. The team has to be on a roll and get the right matchups. If the pens ran into Boston or nj in 2009 it's very possible they don't win that year. So yeah, I agree with op, he gets a lot of undeserved criticism on this board. He's a young coach and he's learned a lot. I'm a fan now.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I don't know, Detroit blowing a 3-1 series lead over Chicago must be deemed as a failure, no? People sure seem to blame Bylsma for blowing a 3-1 lead over Tampa Bay while he had no Sid, no Geno, our top line was an enigmatic Kovalev, Letestu, and James Neal at the most snake-bitten he's ever been.

Face it, Bylsma does not get a fair shake for how much he's done. I just hope you idiot Yinzers don't chase him out of town right into the arms of one of our rivals so they can stomp us every year.

Hockey coaches are a dime a dozen.. save for Bowman who usually left before he got fired officially show me any Stanley cup winning coach of the last 3 decades that wasn't fired multiple times... All coaches have flaws. you bring in the guy who best suits what your team needs to fix or stress at that time. Bylsma won a cup by letting the therrien shackles free on this squad... now it may have drifted too far in the other direction... heck people said the same crud about therrien whne he was here... he got fired... he hasn't replicated the success he had with sid and geno....

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Put the bhawks bruins game on right now. 4 on 3 OT.

Bruins use Bergeron, chara and Boychuck. We use gladams plus orpik.

That's just one of the reasons though.

That was one of the worst things I've seen him do, he would totally use Gladampik over Bereron, Chara and Boychuk if he had the choice.

Then he decided to make Letang a forward in a tied game on a 4 on 4, with Orpik on the ice. :laugh: That was another bad one... he may be getting dumber.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Im sure this is Bylsmas last shot.. if he doesn't at least make a good showing in a late playoffs run loss I think they will replace him... I think they really thought about it last year... But note that he also has changed a lot up as this season has been going forward... so maybe he is learning and has hope.... he certainly has been giving some young guys more of a shot this season... well except Despres...but still

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
His "teachers pets" is blown out of proportion. Gladams and Engo are the 3 lowest players in ES ice time.

His misuse of young players is blown out of proportion. The deserving young players have gotten consistent playing time.

His lack of "development and adjustment" is blown out of proportion. If nothing else, brining J. Martin in as assistant coach helps too.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I can't remember where I read it, but there was an article talking about the JM hire. And how everyone assumed he'd be coaching up the defense. But he's had a major impact on Sid and Geno's play. Circling back, causing turnovers at both blue lines and transitioning quick.

One of our major issues has been the gap between D-men and forwards. I like that improvement.

DB needs to be more of a disciplinarian with vet players. Letang in particular. We've taken him off the 1st PP unit in the past b/c of his play. It'd be nice if his minutes were cut if he pulls the same **** at ES. If Dan can do that, I'll have more faith in him this postseason.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
His "teachers pets" is blown out of proportion. Gladams and Engo are the 3 lowest players in ES ice time.

His misuse of young players is blown out of proportion. The deserving young players have gotten consistent playing time.

His lack of "development and adjustment" is blown out of proportion. If nothing else, brining J. Martin in as assistant coach helps too.

Again: Gladams and Engo should get ZERO icetime

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Pros and Cons to keep this short...

+ Faceoff sets are top tier in the NHL. Great coaching.

+ Gets a lot of output from fill-ins. He can coach teams in a unique way to get the best out of them.

+ Using weak-side defenders in breakout and offensive cycles. Revolutionized the old 3 man breakout to include all 5. It opened up a lot of ice at first.

- Crazy terrible at player assessment. The over-use of Adams, Glass, Engo, etc. Just terrifyingly bad. He falls in love with players instead of letting the players dictate who plays based on ability.

- Accountability? Where is it?

- In game adjustments... we don't need to discuss this. We have been BADLY out-coached in playoff series. That is where people focus so hard on systems and attacking their weaknesses. It's a consistent issue.

With the good comes the bad. I do not think he's the best possible coach for the team. He's a top tier coach in the game but just not for this team.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
Im sure this is Bylsmas last shot.. if he doesn't at least make a good showing in a late playoffs run loss I think they will replace him... I think they really thought about it last year... But note that he also has changed a lot up as this season has been going forward... so maybe he is learning and has hope.... he certainly has been giving some young guys more of a shot this season... well except Despres...but still

Agreed. I don't see him being brought back if they don't reach the eastern conference finals at the very least. Too much talent.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I don't know if it's his last chance but I doubt things are as happyhappyhappy as they try to paint them. Good olde Bylsma had a meltdown in a press conference and J. Martin got brought in.

I can't remember where I read it, but there was an article talking about the JM hire. And how everyone assumed he'd be coaching up the defense. But he's had a major impact on Sid and Geno's play. Circling back, causing turnovers at both blue lines and transitioning quick.

One of our major issues has been the gap between D-men and forwards. I like that improvement.

DB needs to be more of a disciplinarian with vet players. Letang in particular. We've taken him off the 1st PP unit in the past b/c of his play. It'd be nice if his minutes were cut if he pulls the same **** at ES. If Dan can do that, I'll have more faith in him this postseason.

Can't we just hire another coach to be the disciplinarian?

The bit about Sid and Geno is actually interesting.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

The argument isn't just about how much ice time these guys are getting, it's also when they're getting it. Do you really think that duo is the best option to put on the ice when the team is trying to protect a lead in the last few minutes of a game? Or in OT? If so, please, explain it to me, because I fail to understand why you would put players with the worst puck possession stats on the team on the ice in a critical situation.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Can't we just hire another coach to be the disciplinarian?

The bit about Sid and Geno is actually interesting.

It would have been nice if we replaced the assistants. DB+JM+badass would be a great trio of coaches.

I'll try and find the article. It breaks down the Caps game. Sid's shift where he forces two turnovers that ended up in two breakaways. It's not just skill. He's in the right spot and forcing the issue. Nice to see.

Not the whole jailbreak mentality for our forwards.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
It would have been nice if we replaced the assistants. DB+JM+badass would be a great trio of coaches.

I'll try and find the article. It breaks down the Caps game. Sid's shift where he forces two turnovers that ended up in two breakaways. It's not just skill. He's in the right spot and forcing the issue. Nice to see.

Not the whole jailbreak mentality for our forwards.

Thanks for looking for it. JM having an impact on the forwards is great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad