Really cannot understand the Bylsma hate

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I don't know if it's his last chance but I doubt things are as happyhappyhappy as they try to paint them. Good olde Bylsma had a meltdown in a press conference and J. Martin got brought in.

Can't we just hire another coach to be the disciplinarian?

The bit about Sid and Geno is actually interesting.

It was apparently Bylsma's idea to bring in Martin, not some kind of punishment.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
It was apparently Bylsma's idea to bring in Martin, not some kind of punishment.

Apparently being the key word. It's always struck me as something Bylsma wouldn't do. I don't think it's a punishment, I think it's an attempt to correct a deficiency that has been prevalent in Bylsma's tenure and to have a backup coach there in case of "emergency."

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Apparently being the key word. It's always struck me as something Bylsma wouldn't do. I don't think it's a punishment, I think it's an attempt to correct a deficiency that has been prevalent in Bylsma's tenure and to have a backup coach there in case of "emergency."

The narrative on Martin is mostly misunderstood. Martin was not hired for Letang. He was hired for Crosby and Malkin. They wanted somebody to teach transition offense. Bylsma wanted Martin (it was Bylsma’s suggestion) because he planned to adopt a defensive system that would generate turnovers in the neutral zone. He needed a defensive system that would not stagnate his offense, because you can’t ask Crosby and Malkin to sacrifice points during the grueling regular season where points are their reward.

http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Best-of-the-Burgh-Blogs/Pulling-No-Punches/January-2014/Mega-Roundtable-Part-II-Do-the-Penguins-Have-a-Leadership-Problem/

You can dismiss it because it's Rossi but it could have been refuted by a few others there if it wasn't true.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I can't believe that story fully. Nothing about Bylsma's "we did nothing wrong" statements at the end of last season lead me to believe that he was actually just lying and knew what was wrong and already had plans in motion to fix it and decided to bring in JM to help.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
The argument isn't just about how much ice time these guys are getting, it's also when they're getting it. Do you really think that duo is the best option to put on the ice when the team is trying to protect a lead in the last few minutes of a game? Or in OT? If so, please, explain it to me, because I fail to understand why you would put players with the worst puck possession stats on the team on the ice in a critical situation.

Meh. Glass and Adams aren't the best options to throw out there with 1 minute left to defend a lead, however, with all the injuries there aren't too many other options.

Of course, if everyone was healthy and if we had a competent defensive/3rd line, then it would be a baffling move.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Meh. Glass and Adams aren't the best options to throw out there with 1 minute left to defend a lead, however, with all the injuries there aren't too many other options.

Of course, if everyone was healthy and if we had a competent defensive/3rd line, then it would be a baffling move.

Sutter, Vitale, Sill, Malkin, and Crosby have played pretty much every game.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Guess you're not interested in explaining to me what improvements Bylsma's made as a coach since his rookie season?

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010

I don't believe it for a second. It goes against anything Bylsma has done while he's here. Clearly public speak for image purposes. Smart fans see right through this.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I don't believe it for a second. It goes against anything Bylsma has done while he's here. Clearly public speak for image purposes. Smart fans see right through this.

So because it contradicts what you think happened anyone who doesn't immediately disbelieve it is stupid? This is the kind of stuff that kills discussion in this forum. Anything that doesn't fit the anti-Bylsma, anti-Shero, pro-whoever agenda is dismissed out of hand as the "Pens PR machine" and people who are willing to believe that it might be possible are insulted and passive-aggressively called stupid.

People get irate when Bylsma doesn't make the adjustments they'd want to see him make, and when he reportedly does, it's dismissed because Bylsma doesn't make adjustments. And the circle of life continues. It is utterly pointless to attempt to participate in this forum unless you blindly agree with the loudest, most vocal critics and it has been for some time.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
So because it contradicts what you think happened anyone who doesn't immediately disbelieve it is stupid? This is the kind of stuff that kills discussion in this forum. Anything that doesn't fit the anti-Bylsma, anti-Shero, pro-whoever agenda is dismissed out of hand as the "Pens PR machine" and people who are willing to believe that it might be possible are insulted and passive-aggressively called stupid.

People get irate when Bylsma doesn't make the adjustments they'd want to see him make, and when he reportedly does, it's dismissed because Bylsma doesn't make adjustments. And the circle of life continues.

but you agree that if bylsma was actually the main proponent behind bringing in jm it would be hugely out of character and directly contradictory to what he said in his end of season press conference?

Fordy

May 28, 2008
LMFAO at the too slow comment. We won the cup with Bill "Sand in his skates" Guerin playing on Crosby's wing.

in the name of making KCD make sense people have willingly deluded themselves into thinking that crosby is somehow a difficult player to play with or that he's never had success with anything other than speed and grinders on his wings

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

People get irate when Bylsma doesn't make the adjustments they'd want to see him make, and when he reportedly does, it's dismissed because Bylsma doesn't make adjustments. And the circle of life continues.

In fairness, the same can be said for the opposite side. There's been quite a few comments about how this board is unreadable or that everyone is just parroting comments, and that there's only a handful of worthwhile posters to read now. Isn't that a passive aggressive way of insulting/condescending to people they disagree with?

I certainly get a holier-than-thou vibe from a lot of folks who defend the club/Bylsma, the tone suggesting anyone who actually criticizes Bylsma is an idiot and isn't worth reading.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
but you agree that if bylsma was actually the main proponent behind bringing in jm it would be hugely out of character and directly contradictory to what he said in his end of season press conference?

Yes. Just as I believe that a man who thinks that his job is on the line might be willing to do things that are out of character, and a man who has had more than a few days to reflect on what happened in the Boston series might be able to look at it less emotionally and more rationally.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010

People get irate when Bylsma doesn't make the adjustments they'd want to see him make, and when he reportedly does, it's dismissed because Bylsma doesn't make adjustments. And the circle of life continues. It is utterly pointless to attempt to participate in this forum unless you blindly agree with the loudest, most vocal critics and it has been for some time.

If Bylsma really thought the defense on the team was an issue, why wasn't a guy like Martin brought in after we had our swiss cheese defense knocked out by the Flyers? Bylsma also said Despres would be in the top 4, etc. Bylsma says a lot of **** that you have to take with a grain of salt at times. If you believe everything he says, well...that's just gullibility.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
In fairness, the same can be said for the opposite side. There's been quite a few comments about how this board is unreadable or that everyone is just parroting comments, and that there's only a handful of worthwhile posters to read now. Isn't that a passive aggressive way of insulting people they disagree with?

I certainly get a holier-than-thou vibe from a lot of folks who defend the club/Bylsma, the tone suggesting anyone who actually criticizes Bylsma is an idiot and isn't worth reading.

Nope. Nothing passive-aggressive about those comments, they seemed pretty direct to me.

The point is that there's no happy medium on this board anymore. You either agree with the majority that Bylsma is awful or you're a sucker, a blind defender, or not a smart fan. I mean really, how many times can the smug Bylsma picture be posted as a response before people stop finding it clever? How many threads that have nothing to do with Dan Bylsma's coaching can be taken over by complaining before people who want to talk about something, ANYTHING else just give up? I mean, if that's what people want this board to be that's fine. Majority rules. But I have migrated over to the main boards - the MAIN BOARDS - because quite frankly at this point they're more level-headed than this one.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
in the name of making KCD make sense people have willingly deluded themselves into thinking that crosby is somehow a difficult player to play with or that he's never had success with anything other than speed and grinders on his wings

I agree. Iginla was a similar version of Guerin (tough veteran, right hand shot but better, leader, etc) but 100x better at his point in his career by the time we got Guerin.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
If Bylsma really thought the defense on the team was an issue, why wasn't a guy like Martin brought in after we had our swiss cheese defense knocked out by the Flyers? Bylsma also said Despres would be in the top 4, etc. Bylsma says a lot of **** that you have to take with a grain of salt at times. If you believe everything he says, well...that's just gullibility.

Well see, that's the problem. There's no middle ground here. You don't have to believe everything he says to believe some things. Just because someone doesn't want him run out of town on a rail and doesn't complain about everything he does doesn't mean they don't have any problems with him whatsoever.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Bylsma is a juggernaut in the regular season. You can nitpick things here and there but his record, when compared to the massive injuries every season, speaks for itself. Ignoring that is ignorant.

As for the playoffs, who knows anymore? Everyone blames something else it's so hard to keep up. Bylsma's lines, Shero's acquisitions, MAF's meltdowns, Superstar's checking out, Curse of Jagr since he's been on the team that's eliminated us since he's been back.... getting tiresome to care anymore.

Time to just watch hockey.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
We have the two best players in the league in their primes. Bylsma will be judged on the amount of Stanley Cup's won. That might not be fair but it's the truth.

All the amount of regular season wins and playoff victories don't mean crap if there is no Cup at the end of the season.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Nope. Nothing passive-aggressive about those comments, they seemed pretty direct to me.

The point is that there's no happy medium on this board anymore. You either agree with the majority that Bylsma is awful or you're a sucker, a blind defender, or not a smart fan. I mean really, how many times can the smug Bylsma picture be posted as a response before people stop finding it clever? How many threads that have nothing to do with Dan Bylsma's coaching can be taken over by complaining before people who want to talk about something, ANYTHING else just give up? I mean, if that's what people want this board to be that's fine. Majority rules. But I have migrated over to the main boards - the MAIN BOARDS - because quite frankly at this point they're more level-headed than this one.

68vzu.jpg

:sarcasm:

:laugh:

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
Not really a Bylsma fan, but am I the only one that didn't have an issue with him trying Letang as a forward in the OT a few game ago? I actually liked that idea.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Not really a Bylsma fan, but am I the only one that didn't have an issue with him trying Letang as a forward in the OT a few game ago? I actually liked that idea.

If Ovy didn't score there nothing is probably made of it.

I didn't find it particularly a bad experiment to do, I just thought the timing was what made it bad. Plus, Letang hasn't been playing the best out there. It was really odd because I noticed our defensemen were yelling at him to play his man instead of backing up acting like he was a defenseman.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The point is that there's no happy medium on this board anymore. You either agree with the majority that Bylsma is awful or you're a sucker, a blind defender, or not a smart fan.

Again, I think it's the "defenders" who are constantly throwing the petty insults and condescending remarks around. This thread is proof of that. Those who have issues with Bylsma write out novels explaining their issues. Those who defend him call this forum unreadable or talk down to anyone who dares criticize.

A lot of folks certainly do harp on the Bylsma hate-wagon, but I don't see a lot of name calling coming from them. Obviously there are going to be exceptions, but for the most part those who aren't happy with Bylsma focus on their reasons for their displeasure, not on calling anyone who defends Bylsma an idiot. They may seem incredulous at some of the defenses for Bylsma, but outright comments about them being idiots or them being unreadable?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

And now the joke has a new dimension!

It was the timing and it wasn't in OT, it was 4 on 4 in regulation. Letang clearly had no idea what to do. He put out no centre in OT on a 4 on 3 against Edmonton, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad