Really cannot understand the Bylsma hate

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
As dumb as Letang is, I didn't think he was so dumb as to think a right wing's responsibility was to stand directly between the 2 D in a 4 on 4 situation. I didn't think any professional in the world was that dumb.

Hell, I've never even seen that from children. I don't begrudge DB for not anticipating that his Norris nominee defenseman knows less about a right wing's job than elementary kids in gym class.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Pittsburgh fans love to trash coaches, quarterbacks, and goalies (not necessarily in that order)...and this is coming from a lifelong Pittsburgher.

All Bylsma does is win. Anything short of a cup is a fail?
Over the years, all the decimating injuries, and all this team has done is win.

"Fans" get so spoiled. Because you win a cup in '09 doesn't guarantee any repeats.
Julien hasn't won in 2 years...does he suck?
Babcock hasn't won since '08...does he suck?

I'm all for 2nd guessing a decision here, or a lineup there....but some of the vitriol and blind hate towards Coach Bylsma baffles me. I think we are so blessed to have the talent we have, coaches and players alike, and that we have had for so many years.
We have been absolutely blessed to watch the teams we have had, and enjoy the overall success we have had.

OK...flame away...I'm done.
Sorry...I just don't get it :(

I've only been to Pittsburgh once in my life, and I can't stand Dan Bylsma. It's not just a Burgh Thang, er, BurghThang.

He's smug. He's clueless. He happens to be the luckiest coach in the National Hockey League because the talent makes up for most of his poor lineup and in-game decisions. At least in the regular season.

Coaches are hired to be fired. In all sports. If you don't win, you should be fired. He won as soon as he arrived onto the scene, so what is his statute of limitations for keeping his job?

Expectations in HOCKEY in this town are off the charts. The Pittsburgh Penguins aren't the little engine that could. They're not the underdog. They're not that team you just don't want to face on your way to a lengthy playoff run. They're the big dogs. They're the glamor team of the NHL. They have the most top-end talent, so they're expected to win the Stanley Cup. Every year. Yes, I said it. Check the Vegas odds. Every year, we're at the top of the heap before the season starts. People here need to deal with THAT reality, not only the reality that you simply cannot win the Cup every year.

Bylsma's playoff record isn't spectacular. He gets out-coached virtually every series we enter. I will give him credit for ONE thing he did last spring, though...at least in terms of his own survival. He switched goaltenders against the Islanders. Oh it took the mother of all brutal goaltending performances from Fleury to force his hand, but Tomas Vokoun basically saved Bylsma's coaching career. If Vokoun doesn't play at a very high level, we don't beat the Islanders. Bylsma gets fired. He gets hired by a lesser team, and his career goes into the tank quickly.

Vokoun may have hurt our franchise more than helped, indirectly and through no fault of his own.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Yeah I don't get the "spewing hate blindly" type statements. We aren't blind. On the contrary, we are seeing the same mistakes over again, often by the same players, and wondering, perhaps this is a coaching issue.

specialized

Jan 24, 2013
If you read all the comments you will see all the people that hate Bylsma also hate Orpik,Adams and Glass. So what if the coach has favorites, every coach has them, I remember how Mike Keenen always seemed to have Stéphane Matteau on all his teams.

I like what the coach is doing we have a 13 point lead on the Rangers. So what he may not play some of his younger players, the team is winning, if they were losing I could see a beef with it, but there not. All is well. we could be the flyers and be in that whole mess.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Yeah I don't get the "spewing hate blindly" type statements. We aren't blind. On the contrary, we are seeing the same mistakes over again, often by the same players, and wondering, perhaps this is a coaching issue.

You;d almost have to be blind to not see the issue with DB.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Kobasew on the 1st line, Megna on the 4th.

Let that sink in.

Then the understanding of the idiocy that is Bylsma, sinks in.

Gary Roberts

Have you seen my father?
Oct 23, 2009
Lets see here, why do I hate Dan Bylsma.....

- He refuses to, or lacks the ability to make systematic adjustments during the playoffs. That was the undoing against Montreal, Tampa Bay and Boston. (and nearly against NYI)

- He has a total blind loyalty to awful players. Adams and Orpik were both very useful once, but they are past that point, yet they still have prominent positions on the team when better options are available. And it's not just Adams, Glass and Orpik. Rupp, Asham, Eaton etc.

- He seems to have a vendetta against young, skilled players. Simon Despres, Beau Bennett, Jason Megna, and even Malkin and Letang to a certain degree. He refuses to give young players any room for error. In addition to potentially ruining the confidence of young players, it also provides absolutely zero incentive for young talent to want to stay with the team through free agency.

- He has no idea how to fill out a line-up. You get a Hall of Fame RW and play him on the 2nd line LW. There are other examples, but I really shouldn't have to name any because the previously mentioned example is that freaking insanely stupid.

- He comes off as an arrogant *****.

And there are probably other reasons, but the main one is that I feel like his complete ineptitude as a coach is wasting the prime of the two best players of their generation. I saw it happen in the 90's when Jagr's prime was totally wasted as well. If this team doesn't win at least 2 more Stanley Cups, then they basically wasted an embarrassment of riches. And I don't think they are going to be able to win another one as long as Disco is behind the bench.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I hate his face, I don't hate a lot of things, but his face makes me angry.

It's weird, I need to see a therapist about this.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Finally, a response that is not Cookie-Cutter-Pens-Board-Singular-Entity-Cliche-Speak and is amusing. Well done.

I don't like his lip scars or his lisp. Listening to him makes me want to punch ponies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
UjDGfKV.gif

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I've only been to Pittsburgh once in my life, and I can't stand Dan Bylsma. It's not just a Burgh Thang, er, BurghThang.

He's smug. He's clueless. He happens to be the luckiest coach in the National Hockey League because the talent makes up for most of his poor lineup and in-game decisions. At least in the regular season.

Coaches are hired to be fired. In all sports. If you don't win, you should be fired. He won as soon as he arrived onto the scene, so what is his statute of limitations for keeping his job?

Expectations in HOCKEY in this town are off the charts. The Pittsburgh Penguins aren't the little engine that could. They're not the underdog. They're not that team you just don't want to face on your way to a lengthy playoff run. They're the big dogs. They're the glamor team of the NHL. They have the most top-end talent, so they're expected to win the Stanley Cup. Every year. Yes, I said it. Check the Vegas odds. Every year, we're at the top of the heap before the season starts. People here need to deal with THAT reality, not only the reality that you simply cannot win the Cup every year.

Bylsma's playoff record isn't spectacular. He gets out-coached virtually every series we enter. I will give him credit for ONE thing he did last spring, though...at least in terms of his own survival. He switched goaltenders against the Islanders. Oh it took the mother of all brutal goaltending performances from Fleury to force his hand, but Tomas Vokoun basically saved Bylsma's coaching career. If Vokoun doesn't play at a very high level, we don't beat the Islanders. Bylsma gets fired. He gets hired by a lesser team, and his career goes into the tank quickly.

Vokoun may have hurt our franchise more than helped, indirectly and through no fault of his own.

I think you're really devaluing the importance of cliches, December wins, mustache boy contests, wiffle ball, and an utter and complete lack of discipline or accountability.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I don't get the hate either, he's so good at having them ready after a break, he plays players based on how they're playing, he holds all of them equally accountable and the lines are always spot on.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Bylsma is the Fleury of coaching.

Fleury being the Bylsma of goaltending explains a lot of things.

Has a checklist of things which should add up to greatness. Gets wins in the regular season, regardless of how well he plays, cause he has a great team. Had a couple good playoff runs and now sucks in the playoffs and forgets the fundamentals at key times. Refuses to change the glaring issues, which are only a few. Its a perfect analogy.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
There is no real pressure or concern on managements part as to the Hockey management. One would think any owner would question the fact of the Pens elimination year after year in the playoffs. Still after six years of Shero management, Crosby still has one journeyman and one semi dimensional winger. The handling of Iginla was bizarre and you give up two second round picks for a journeyman dman because Orpik can't do his job anymore. I am not alone in that many no longer believe in making the emotional investment in this team coached by and manged by this management team. One watches the Blues or the Hawks or the Ducks and other teams and they just bring it. Soft, skilled, perimeter teams don't win cups.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Let me see if an analogy will help.

The Pens are the two girls dancing and Bylsma is the old guy falling down in the background while watching them.

funny-drunk-man-dancing-girls-falling-animated-gif.gif

domaug*

Nov 27, 2011
Archbald, PA
If you read all the comments you will see all the people that hate Bylsma also hate Orpik,Adams and Glass. So what if the coach has favorites, every coach has them, I remember how Mike Keenen always seemed to have Stéphane Matteau on all his teams.

I like what the coach is doing we have a 13 point lead on the Rangers. So what he may not play some of his younger players, the team is winning, if they were losing I could see a beef with it, but there not. All is well. we could be the flyers and be in that whole mess.

the Flyers have played some good hockey since their suckish start to the season, whether you want to admit it or not. you're basically ignoring every issue this Pens team has had for the last 4+ seasons because "hey, they're winning regular season games".

let's see how far that line of thinking would get you in the playoffs. wait, you're not thinking of the playoffs. you just care about the regular season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad