Re-sign Andersen?

What to do with Andersen?

• Total voters

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Andersen is ok for the regular season, but we're supposed to have higher aspirations.

I've seen enough now that he's got to be gone. Imagine a ton goes right with the rest of the team this offseason, only to have it all flushed away again because this mentally fragile clown can't keep out total non-chance shots in crucial games. Forget it. He doesn't get another chance to do that if it's up to me.

With 1 year left he can be pawned off somewhere for a pick. On the UFA list I'd try for Lehner first to replace Freddy, but there are others that could work. anyone that isn't a known playoff choker would be an improvement over the Danish Doughnut.

Reactions: LeafsRus

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Robin Lehner is already on the Leafs payroll while winning games for Vegas now.

I wonder if Leaf fans know that, that he was passed through the Leafs on TD day and now is a part of Leafs retained salary.

Toronto Maple Leafs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Leafs are paying $1.1 mil doing Vegas a favour.

Maybe should have kept him and passed Andersen along instead. :)

Yeah I think Dubas got a very late round pick back for his troubles. Is buying a 5th rounder good value for a million bucks? Lehner would have also been a clear upgrade on Andersen so that’s doubly ironic.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think Holtby, Lehner and Markstrom could be interesting, but risky given the cap investment.

I would also like to see our pro scouting flex their muscles a bit and look at guys like Korpisalo, Merzlikins, Georgiev, Sorokin, Tarasov, to find a younger cheaper guy who can be a Moneyball goalie.

Yup talk to Lou Lam and see if he would do us a kind, and send us Ilya Sorokin in trade. This is a top goalie prospect outside the NHL.

Ilya Sorokin Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Therein lies the dilemma because this just limits the options. Well, this being from the perspective you think this team is built to take the next step and/or can and should contend for the Stanley Cup, thus they can't afford to piss away any season by letting a goalie "grow with the team".

So you don't want to rely on a bounce back candidate, you don't want to trade for a team's backup thinking he is the next big thing (Toskala skeletons there), you are unlikely to sign a quality goalie without paying through your nose, and the same holds true in the trade market.

It's very much so a boom-bust scenario. Andy is at least consistent (in that we know who he is and isn't) .. But another goalie could easily be an upgrade as much of a downgrade.

Lehner's an interesting name but a risk .. I think we would be getting closer to the Chicago version than the Vegas version. Depends on cost I suppose.

UFA Options
Lehner
Talbot
Greiss
Khudobin

Trade Options
Gorgiev
Murray
Demko

Not sure there's much else out there.

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
Why doesn't Shanny just pick up the phone and ask Belfour or Cujo to come out of retirement....

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's very much so a boom-bust scenario. Andy is at least consistent (in that we know who he is and isn't) .. But another goalie could easily be an upgrade as much of a downgrade.

Lehner's an interesting name but a risk .. I think we would be getting closer to the Chicago version than the Vegas version. Depends on cost I suppose.

UFA Options
Lehner
Talbot
Greiss
Khudobin

Trade Options
Gorgiev
Murray
Demko

Not sure there's much else out there.

I’m of the belief that there’s going to be tons of goalies out there pre expansion draft. Any team with 2-3 young goalies coming up through the system, a young backup, tandem etc. would be targets.

Reactions: Crosscrease14

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Howard goalies in the league are better than Freddy?

Honestly, imo, not to many.

There's a good chance we move on from Freddy and get an even worse goalie.

To many of you seem to want a goalie that will steal us games and win us the cup but how many current goalies can you even expect that from?

A .935 SV% should he enough to win the cup with.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Only reason I cite him is because they made an investment into Varlamov for some reason. Also, Spencer Knight with Florida is behind Ten Million Bobrovsky.

This should the be main reason to mention him. :)

The Isles picked Sorokin 78th overall in 2014, making him the eighth goaltender off the board that season. It wasn’t long before Sorokin rose up to post absurd video-game numbers in the KHL, particularly after a 2014 trade sent him to the juggernaut CSKA Moscow. Though parity in the KHL has been questionable year to year, with a handful stacked squads dominating,

Sorokin’s numbers since he joined the KHL team in 2015-16 look like cheat-code work:

1.06, .953
1.61, .929
1.59, .931
1.16, .940
1.50, .935

And his post-season play was just as jaw-droppingly great:
1.32, .945
2.03, .916
1.52, .930
1.19, .947
0.73, .966

He was named the KHL’s best goaltender in 2015-16. He won the Gagarin Cup as league champ and the playoff MVP in 2018-19. Sorokin, then, had little left to accomplish in his home nation by summer 2019.

What to expect from Islanders mega-prospect goaltender Ilya Sorokin - TheHockeyNews

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

To many of you seem to want a goalie that will steal us games and win us the cup but how many current goalies can you even expect that from?

Andersen’s not an option because he finds different ways to be on the losing end every time in a winner take all. It probably helps the conversation if you identify the kind of goalie you envision having success in Toronto and cross referencing that with what’s available on the market in surplus instead of saying we can’t do better than this.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Only reason I cite him is because they made an investment into Varlamov for some reason. Also, Spencer Knight with Florida is behind Ten Million Bobrovsky.

Chris Driedger is behind Bob right now, and he was consistently better than him all season.

Nearly makes league minimum, and one year left before he's UFA.

He could be available if Florida decides to clean house.

Reactions: Stephen

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Evaluate after next season unless something falls in your lap.

I'm not keen on spending big bucks for a goalie. I think a tandem or a 50/30 split could get the job done just as well.

Reactions: Ciao

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Andersen’s not an option because he finds different ways to be on the losing end every time in a winner take all. It probably helps the conversation if you identify the kind of goalie you envision having success in Toronto and cross referencing that with what’s available on the market in surplus instead of saying we can’t do better than this.

I disagree. Freddy does not find "different ways to be on the losing end every time in a winner take all".

The only reason he has lost every series is because he plays for the leafs.

Every series we have lost has been on the players, not the goalie.

Over the last 5 playoffs, Freddy has the 8th highest sv% in the playoffs. That's playing behind teams with very bad defense compared to Boston and some others.

I get that we lost and people love blaming the goalie, but freddy is not the problem.

And please try to avoid being so condescending and don't tell me how to post.

Reactions: NikoEhlers

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'm going on the assumption that if they were to move on that they have a plan in place.
what's your view on this Murray for Freddie rumour? Personally I think Leaf would be adding and not confident Dubas doesn't get schooled by Rutherford.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I disagree. Freddy does not find "different ways to be on the losing end everything in a winner take all".

The only reason he has lost every series is because he plays for the leafs.

Every series we have lost has been on the players, not the goalie.

Over the last 5 playoffs, Freddy has the 8th highest sv% in the playoffs. That's playing behind teams with very bad defense compared to Boston and some others.

I get that we lost and people love blaming the goalie, but freddy is not the problem.

And please try to avoid being so condescending and don't tell me how to post.

There are only 16 teams in the first round of the playoffs, so having the 8th best SV% puts you in a 50/50 position to be eliminated. Which we have been every single year. Clearly it does not work with Andersen or the Leafs, and it's not feasible to trade the rest of the team to make Andersen work. He was also not a big game goalie in Anaheim. So let's find alternative solutions by targeting what we need in a number one goalie and what might be available instead of starting with the premise that there is no upgrade available.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
what's your view on this Murray for Freddie rumour? Personally I think Leaf would be adding and not confident Dubas doesn't get schooled by Rutherford.

Murray seems to be injury prone and a basket case himself. Don't forget Fleury did a lot of heavy lifting on that second cup that Murray won.

Reactions: rumman

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
There are only 16 teams in the first round of the playoffs, so having the 8th best SV% puts you in a 50/50 position to be eliminated. Which we have been every single year. Clearly it does not work with Andersen or the Leafs, and it's not feasible to trade the rest of the team to make Andersen work. He was also not a big game goalie in Anaheim. So let's find alternative solutions by targeting what we need in a number one goalie and what might be available instead of starting with the premise that there is no upgrade available.

Freddy is tied in sv% with MAF and 0.001 sv% behind Murray, you know, cup winning goalies?

You clearly do not understand goaltending.

The fact that Columbus used 2 rookie goalies who both did better than freddy is a testimony to how poor our team is.

You put either of those goalies on our team and we lose in 3.

Reactions: NikoEhlers

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Evaluate after next season unless something falls in your lap.

I'm not keen on spending big bucks for a goalie. I think a tandem or a 50/30 split could get the job done just as well.
There's no rush on this.

Fred's performance is too uneven and the market is too uncertain to make a decision now.

Goalies are a bit like relief pitchers -- one season doesn't always resemble the next, and you're never exactly sure what you're getting. The Leafs could easily jump from the frying pan into the fire by overthinking this. It could be like the McIlhenny-Sparks debacle, only at the starter level. I'm not sure there's a clear improvement on Andersen out there at the moment.

I'm not sold on Andersen and I think they should let him hang for a while until the picture becomes clear.

It won't hurt to see how he plays under the pressure of not having a contract in place for 2021-22. That should be telling, and maybe advantageous for the Leafs if he feels his career is on the line.

We don't actually know how the free-agent market will pan out this year or next. We don't know when the 2021-22 season will begin or end. It's entirely possible the bottom could fall out of the free-agent market this year or next, and I wouldn't want to commit to Fred Andersen before we see how that goes.

I would let Fred sweat this out a little bit and see where that takes us.

Lord knows we've all been sweating out his performances lately, and it might be time to turn the tables.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Freddy is tied in sv% with MAF and 0.001 sv% behind Murray, you know, cup winning goalies?

You clearly do not understand goaltending.

The fact that Columbus used 2 rookie goalies who both did better than freddy is a testimony to how poor our team is.

You put either of those goalies on our team and we lose in 3.

I understand goaltending just fine. If you look at the elite of the elite, the best goalies are ultra competitive, athletic, have great technique and structure to their games will battle hard to make a save when all else fails.

A guy like James Reimer was athletic and a great battler, but had relatively poor technique. A guy like Andersen is almost the opposite as he has athleticism and technique but lacks the mental focus and strength.

That's why he lets in the Foudy goal this year on a nothing play in Game 5, the random goal in Game 1 on a routine shot from Atkinson, the Bjorkstrand shot to make it 2-0 in Game 4 (which would have killed the Leafs had it not been for the random comeback) or the Nordstrom goal last year in Game 7, or is the guy who gives up the late game tying goal to Marcus Johansson in Game 6 of 2017.

Save percentage aside, Andersen sucks in pressure situations.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Andersen record in series deciding games is 0-8.

Not sure there is much to decide here, truth be told if playoff success is what you desire.

In 14/15 Anaheim won two rounds against Winnipeg and Calgary with him in net, unless that's just for the Leafs games.

But he's had company in those games. I'm sure you could find equally unremarkable stats for some out players as well.

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014

0-8 in series clinching games.

Now the D is not very good at all and hasn't been for a long time. That's not Freddy's fault. He'd probably do well on a strong defensive team.

Something has to give though.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
In 14/15 Anaheim won two rounds against Winnipeg and Calgary with him in net, unless that's just for the Leafs games.

But he's had company in those games. I'm sure you could find equally unremarkable stats for some out players as well.

14/15 Anaheim was a very strong team that unfortunately co-existed with the Blackhawks which was a razor close series. He laid massive eggs in games 6 and 7 too.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Therein lies the dilemma because this just limits the options. Well, this being from the perspective you think this team is built to take the next step and/or can and should contend for the Stanley Cup, thus they can't afford to piss away any season by letting a goalie "grow with the team".

So you don't want to rely on a bounce back candidate, you don't want to trade for a team's backup thinking he is the next big thing (Toskala skeletons there), you are unlikely to sign a quality goalie without paying through your nose, and the same holds true in the trade market.

I think it's more about finding another guy like Campbell. Basically someone whose been a bit overlooked in recent years rather than a struggling current #1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad