Re-sign Andersen?

What to do with Andersen?

• Total voters

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Do you think he has that kind of value as a Goalie going to UFA?
What for a skilled forward?
We get guys like Petan and Malgin, so sure.

Unless you are trading him for picks. But then see my first point again.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What for a skilled forward?
We get guys like Petan and Malgin, so sure.

Unless you are trading him for picks. But then see my first point again.
My mistake, I took 'skilled forward' as a good player not those plugs.
Agreed, he could return one of those but picks would be preferable.

Reactions: Beleafer34

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I can't believe over half voted to move him before the season starts. That's a pretty big overreaction.

Even if you do want to move on, you need to know more about the replacement options before you do.

Campbell hasn't been given a shot with Toronto yet, we have no prospects pushing up from the AHL, and I can't think of a single trade or UFA target that is better than Freddy.

If he's traded before the season starts, then that means the starter is either Campbell, a platoon with Campbell, or Robin Lehner. I don't like those options.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I can't believe over half voted to move him before the season starts. That's a pretty big overreaction.

Even if you do want to move on, you need to know more about the replacement options before you do.

Campbell hasn't been given a shot with Toronto yet, we have no prospects pushing up from the AHL, and I can't think of a single trade or UFA target that is better than Freddy.

If he's traded before the season starts, then that means the starter is either Campbell, a platoon with Campbell, or Robin Lehner. I don't like those options.
Yep, that's sort of the pickle they've put themselves in. IMO, they really have no choice but to bring him back.

Reactions: qqaz

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I voted to move him before the season starts with the caveat of him actually having some value, if he doesn't keep him and hope there's a market at the deadline because this team isn't ready for a cup run next year.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
My mistake, I took 'skilled forward' as a good player not those plugs.
Agreed, he could return one of those but picks would be preferable.
But again you need a solid replacement plan if you are moving on. Campbell/Kask/Sparks clone isn’t going to cut it.
And people may just see some of the regular season warts shine through as well.

Reactions: Buds17

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Campbell will be UFA as well?

No, I mean if you re-sign Andersen but start platooning Andersen/Campbell and Campbell steals his job, you’ll have to choose which one to protect. As opposed to just letting Andersen go to UFA, protect Campbell and then sign Andersen later.

Or you do the smart thing and you get a young cheap goalie this coming year and just phase Andersen out all together.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Andersen is going into his final season before UFA, what should be done with him?
I think it is a done deal actually he will be gone if Dubie gets another year ... Dubie will try to get Murray from Pens for Freddy I expect .. da only real question left to answer is what else we take from Pens (Hornquist and Byustad come to mind right away) and how many years does Murray get? If Murray gets a 10% raise to 4M per for a couple years then fine depending on what we do to help out Pens CAP ... these 2 teams have da worst CAP issues in NHL right now

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
That is an excellent poll question. I hate to have an asset like that walk for a compensatory pick, yet I don’t think you can re-sign him for more than a year (two at the most) while waiting for one of the youngsters.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
Who are the Leafs going to sign that will be better and cheaper?? Rolling with a "1A/1B" isn't a reality.. the last time the leafs did that it was Reimer and Bernier and really that was more of a 2A/2B. Teams only get to do 1A/1B when they draft 1 or 2 great goalies. Trading is highly unlikely as they need to use tradable pieces for RD. The Leafs need 2 RD in the top 4 more than preventing the occasional weak goal. Also people tend to forget how many goals (high risk) freddy prevents, but yes those bad goals linger on everyone's mind for sure.

If the Leafs can sign Andersen at a decent value they do it, and perhaps instead of tossing Andersen aside, they bring in new goalie/mental coaches for Andersen. In the future they need to plan ahead and draft some goalies in the first or second round.

Reactions: qqaz

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Andersen record in series deciding games is 0-8.

Not sure there is much to decide here, truth be told if playoff success is what you desire.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
No, I mean if you re-sign Andersen but start platooning Andersen/Campbell and Campbell steals his job, you’ll have to choose which one to protect. As opposed to just letting Andersen go to UFA, protect Campbell and then sign Andersen later.

Or you do the smart thing and you get a young cheap goalie this coming year and just phase Andersen out all together.
Got it. Campbell will need protecting as well?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
But again you need a solid replacement plan if you are moving on. Campbell/Kask/Sparks clone isn’t going to cut it.
And people may just see some of the regular season warts shine through as well.

Dubas thought Garret Sparks and Michael Hutchinson were an upgrade of our backup goalie position. :rolleyes:

I agree we need a replacement plan if Leafs move on from Freddy, but holy hell in a hand basket Batman this could turn out really badly as we're talking our starter here, after watching the 2 year debacle that happened to our backup position.

I can already see were this would be heading.. Dubas relies on stats and analytics to make hockey decisions and so he will seek a goalie with strong #'s behind a solid defensive team system and then hope those will translate to similar #'s for the Leafs with their offense first hockey system.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I don’t think he is the biggest problem, but he has not earned a big commitment from the Leafs. I’d look to move on from him, if I can.
I think that's going to be the problem. He will want commitment and the Leafs will want shorter term.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Got it. Campbell will need protecting as well?

Yes he would because I think he has another 2 years left. So in the event that Toronto uses him more and becomes an attractive expansion target you would have to protect him.

Reactions: ACC1224

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think we need a goalie who can be more of that rockstar personality in net. You want a guy who can be a battler who enjoys the big moments and not a guy who is try to survive them, which is the vibe I get with Andersen.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think we need a goalie who can be more of that rockstar personality in net. You want a guy who can be a battler who enjoys the big moments and not a guy who is try to survive them, which is the vibe I get with Andersen.

Leafs need a new Cujo.

A goalie who can be a sitting duck behind an offense first team and make lots of saves and critical timely ones, with a personality that can deal with the media.

Reactions: LeafsRus and Al14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad