Re-sign Andersen?

What to do with Andersen?

• Total voters

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Andersen probably won't negotiate in-season anyway.

Either move on from him now or decide after another season if you're willing to meet him and his agent's UFA price he's going to command.

Considering the limited options the Leafs have right now available to them with a flat-cap, you're not going to find a better quality goalie than Freddie equal or less than his current cap-hit.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Leafs have passing out top 60 picks like Halloween candy for the past 5 years. Time to restock the cupboard. Move Andersen and Hyman this offseason.

Reactions: Lilou

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
With no succession plan in place (I'm not convinced Campbell is the guy), then they have no choice but to ride him out. See how he fares next season. If he craps the bed again in the post-season, thank him for his 5 seasons and let him go. The team won't go anywhere with him.

However, unless they make a trade for an established goalie, or sign a guy like Holtby or Markstrom this off-season, they likely have no choice but to sign him to another 2/3-year deal. At this point, I'm not sure the team can afford going out and acquiring a team's backup who could be a starter in the league. It worked out okay with Andersen, not so much with Toskala.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Trade him on draft day along with Kerfoot, Kapanen and Johnsson

Bring in cheap two-way forwards and a good shutdown D.
Sing Pietrangelo.

Reactions: teddygmr

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
With no succession plan in place (I'm not convinced Campbell is the guy), then they have no choice but to ride him out. See how he fares next season. If he craps the bed again in the post-season, thank him for his 5 seasons and let him go. The team won't go anywhere with him.

However, unless they make a trade for an established goalie, or sign a guy like Holtby or Markstrom this off-season, they likely have no choice but to sign him to another 2/3-year deal. At this point, I'm not sure the team can afford going out and acquiring a team's backup who could be a starter in the league. It worked out okay with Andersen, not so much with Toskala.

4 more years of a goalie letting in softies in elimination games. Sounds like great fun.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I don't have a ton of confidence in Andersen but if can't find anyone better (or who we think has a good chance of developing into something better) and if we can resign him for 2-3 years at a good price then it's worth considering. At least with the flat cap there might not be a lot of teams willing to spend on him so that helps.

Ideally we find a younger guy with lots of promise, move on from Andersen, JC plays great and we have a platoon until the young guy takes over. It's so hard to predict goalies, other teams have gotten lucky with random guys emerging out of nowhere. Then again, they don't all work out so if we part ways with Andersen, we might be completely screwed and regret it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

IMO, if they are planning on giving him another post-season shot(if they make it) they may as well re-sign him now.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
They can't re-sign him so you just want to use him for another season and let him go to UFA? That's a dumbass move for a team that's not even a strong contender.

He's not a star or anything. Lets not get too attached to stonehands.

Are you high?

Reactions: mclaren55

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'd have to say retain him for now just because I don't see any other starter currently on the team. It would also depend on how the team acquires his potential replacement (trade or free agency, and the cost associated with each avenue). If any core player is moved/replaced though, it seems like he could be that player.

Last edited:

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
4 more years of a goalie letting in softies in elimination games. Sounds like great fun.

At this point, I honestly don't know what other choice they have. They haven't drafted anyone to groom them for the role like a Carter Hart, the trade market is thin and expensive, and the minimal free agent goalies will be asking for a premium that the Leafs can't afford.

Reactions: Cams

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
At this point, I honestly don't know what other choice they have. They haven't drafted anyone to groom them for the role like a Carter Hart, the trade market is thin and expensive, and the minimal free agent goalies will be asking for a premium that the Leafs can't afford.
How much do we think Andersen will be looking for?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
You don’t re-sign Andersen under any circumstances before the expansion draft. It forces you to have to protect him, which makes it difficult to also keep Campbell if he starts showing you something, and could handcuff you if you bring in a young goalie from a trade.
Campbell will be UFA as well?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I think maybe we should take a good look at Campbell while we have Andersen this season.
I mean what’s your backup/2 goalie plan.

It would probably be a bad day for Dubas if he traded Andy for another skilled forward and we miss the playoffs.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Downgrade to a cheaper 1A/1B goalie and go with Campbell as a tandem. Put the savings into helping shore up the D. I think we'd be better off or surely no worse. I dunno I just want to see playoff progress it doesn't feel like it's going to happen without some changes and with a flat cap there needs to be other ways to improve the defence. Gutting the forward depth doesn't seem like the way to go after watching lines 2-4 vs. Columbus.

I'm fine with whatever just want to see a series win before Matthews contract is up would that be too much to ask?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I think maybe we should take a good look at Campbell while we have Andersen this season.
I mean what’s your backup/2 goalie plan.

It would probably be a bad day for Dubas if he traded Andy for another skilled forward and we miss the playoffs.
Do you think he has that kind of value as a Goalie going to UFA?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->