Re-sign Andersen?

What to do with Andersen?

• Total voters

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
If you move him what are you replacing him with? Jack Campbell?

The other 29 teams aren't going to give away #1 starters for free.
Lehner is a UFA, as is Talbot both starters playing today.

Some teams have other prospects pushing like NYR and Pitts.

Reactions: saffronleaf

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm not against it but I don't see it happening, I think Matt Murray is getting traded and I think he ends up in Toronto.

Dubas LOVES his guys Campbell, Keefe were in the Soo, he was Clifford's agent, Hyman's advisor and Matt Murray played for the Soo.

If Dubas has a connection to you, there is a good chance you end up in Toronto and I wouldn't be one bit shocked if Matt Murray is a Toronto Maple Leaf next season

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Then he played well in those games? Not sure what you're looking for here, I clarified a stat in question about 14-15.

He's had some good games and some bad in playoffs. I thought he was outright poor in that first Boston series

His stats indicate that was the worst of the four playoff/play ins, but the whole team did not look not ready to play in those first two games in Boston and got beat pretty much in the first period in both.

You would have to through the video to see where the specific problems came from.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
This should the be main reason to mention him. :)

The Isles picked Sorokin 78th overall in 2014, making him the eighth goaltender off the board that season. It wasn’t long before Sorokin rose up to post absurd video-game numbers in the KHL, particularly after a 2014 trade sent him to the juggernaut CSKA Moscow. Though parity in the KHL has been questionable year to year, with a handful stacked squads dominating,

Sorokin’s numbers since he joined the KHL team in 2015-16 look like cheat-code work:

1.06, .953
1.61, .929
1.59, .931
1.16, .940
1.50, .935

And his post-season play was just as jaw-droppingly great:
1.32, .945
2.03, .916
1.52, .930
1.19, .947
0.73, .966

He was named the KHL’s best goaltender in 2015-16. He won the Gagarin Cup as league champ and the playoff MVP in 2018-19. Sorokin, then, had little left to accomplish in his home nation by summer 2019.

What to expect from Islanders mega-prospect goaltender Ilya Sorokin - TheHockeyNews

The Isles just convinced him to come overseas and signed him to a two-year deal.

I'd say it's a near certainty they won't trade him.

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
If the leafs didn't blow their 1st on the Marleau trade they'd have a shot at Askarov this year. Feels bad man.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
I'd re-sign for 1 or 2 years max at 5m, if another option isn't available or attainable. Re-signing a 30+ year old goalie to a long-term deal isn't a wise investment.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Leafs need a new Cujo.

A goalie who can be a sitting duck behind an offense first team and make lots of saves and critical timely ones, with a personality that can deal with the media.

Cujo 3rd most losses for a goalie in the NHL EVER. no Leafs dont need a Cujo.

Reactions: NikoEhlers

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
As someone who isn’t a Leafs fan but follows the Leafs pretty heavily, as my girlfriend is a Leafs fan, it’s always surprised me reading this board and other places like social media, Discord, and Reddit and seeing so many people who seemingly want to move on from Andersen. Even if he can’t be re-signed, I’m surprised how many people seem ready to trade him. Even if he doesn’t extend, wouldn’t it be better just to keep him and let him walk?

It's more of an issue of trust in must win games. He's not a major problem, I just don't blink at this point when he let's in a soft goal at the worst time.

His problems are mental., he just can seem to shut things down when needed the most and seemingly gets rattled if he let's in an early period

Last edited:

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Id say look for a cheaper replacement. Love Freddy, but unless he'll come back at a lower salary than his current one, id move on.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Lehner is a UFA, as is Talbot both starters playing today.

Some teams have other prospects pushing like NYR and Pitts.

Are Lehner and Talbot truly upgrades? And if they are presumably they will cost more money than Andersen cap hit.

Those other teams aren't going to give away people for free even if they don't need them. You also need to make the move to get the new goalie before you move Andersen. If you move Andersen first and then whiff on all your targets to replace him you're screwed.

Once you make that move to get a new goalie Andersen's trade value absolutely plummets.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I like Freddy, but how many times do we have to witness the same thing in deciding games? History has shown that he is more than likely not the right goalie to take a team deep in the playoffs.

Therefore, move him in the off season and try to recoup assets while we still can. There are plenty of solid UFA goalies available that could form a tandem with Campbell.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The leafs depend way too much on good goaltending to gamble on a goalie who will more likely than not be worse than Andersen. Just look at the record with the backups.

Reactions: NikoEhlers

DaWatcher

Jul 21, 2020
Not a fan of Andersen, but he isn't the problem. Markstrom let in 3-4 softer goals in Vancouver's qualifier, yet they had the skill and determination to outscore their opponents. Foudy's goal wasn't terrible because Andersen let it in, it was terrible because the whole team fell asleep on a line change.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Are Lehner and Talbot truly upgrades? And if they are presumably they will cost more money than Andersen cap hit.

Those other teams aren't going to give away people for free even if they don't need them. You also need to make the move to get the new goalie before you move Andersen. If you move Andersen first and then whiff on all your targets to replace him you're screwed.

Once you make that move to get a new goalie Andersen's trade value absolutely plummets.
Honestly, this seems grim just to be grim

Lehner is a clear upgrade to me, Talbot is more of a gamble. We're coming out of a global pandemic, UFA funds are going to be tighter than ever.

Fred's likely a similar value to Georgie and Murray if you go that route, so you're gambling on a new face making a different at a lower cap hit with more long term potential due to their ages.

You likely have 3-4 teams all in on the same 5-6 goalies, timing is key, but I wouldn't be worried about being left without a goalie.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Not a fan of Andersen, but he isn't the problem. Markstrom let in 3-4 softer goals in Vancouver's qualifier, yet they had the skill and determination to outscore their opponents. Foudy's goal wasn't terrible because Andersen let it in, it was terrible because the whole team fell asleep on a line change.

I suppose the way I look at it. He's not the problem, but he's not untouchable either. I see a gamble on a new guy as a chance for improvement, and worst case scenario they still don't make it past the first round

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
Andersen did play better behind a Babcock led team, where focus was more on structure. I have said before that any player outside Matthews should be available at the right price, but I doubt the Leafs can magically fix anything with 5 million on the goalie position, Leafs could make a bet on one of the up and coming goalies, but the added pressure in Toronto behind the current leafs team d is a nightmare for a young goalie unless he has some impressive mental strength. Regardless, if Dubas is able to strengthen team d, you'll get more out of Andersen than what he showed this year. The smart move would probably be to offer him 2 extra years with a very slight raise, in his worst season, and with the flat cap, and try to fix the d and team d trading someone that isnt Matthews. The team is very dysfunctional as it is, no goalie will change this.

EGL22

Mar 20, 2018
Dubas decides we need Freddy,the contract talks are this,

Dubas- Freddy we need you,6 mil per/ 3 years.
Freddy- No way,8 mil 5 years
Dubas 6.5 max,3 years.
Freddy,what was I thinking,make that 9 mil 6 years
Dubas,Okay Freddy,it will be rough but,7m 4 years.
Freddy,8.5 6 years.
Dubas, final offer,8 mil 5 years.
Freddy, okay Kyle I give in,deal.
Dubas,yes yes yes,got him for less than he asked for,I am amazing.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Kapanen AND / OR Bracco & a pick, I think.

I can't remember if it was AND / OR.

Do you think it'll be the same asking price in the off-season?

That doesn't seem too steep, granted I'd prefer to trade AJ before Kapanen.

If that's the price I don't see why we don't go with a Georgiev - Campbell tandem and ship out Freddy for some assets instead of just letting him walk for nothing.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON

Not like NYR is losing value on their 2 goaltender prospects just because they have 2.

Andersen is a very good regular season goaltender, but seems to have issues in critical games in the playoffs. There's still a lot of value in that for teams that are looking for a goaltender to stabilize things, enough of them that Andersen's value won't plummet just because we have another goaltender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad