Re-sign Andersen?

What to do with Andersen?

• Total voters

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I'm not sold either which is why I don't mind going the tandem route.

Especially give you can't resign him next summer anyway.

Think the only way Freddie is here next season, is if Dubas explored the market for him and realized there just wasn't any value

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
The reason they might get more for him is there are a ton of teams trying to shed salary to get under internal caps. He's a league average starter that is only going to make $1 million this year. That's probably only worth a late first, but if you can get that, and then sign a comparable player for 3 years at $4-5 million, it's worth doing. Examples potentially available - Lehner, Markstrom, Murray, Kuemper, Khudobin, or Greiss.
I wouldn't be opposed if the right deal is there, I just wouldn't want to commit to the wrong guy under pressure. Playoff teams have to let assets walk every year

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
The reason they might get more for him is there are a ton of teams trying to shed salary to get under internal caps. He's a league average starter that is only going to make $1 million this year. That's probably only worth a late first, but if you can get that, and then sign a comparable player for 3 years at $4-5 million, it's worth doing. Examples potentially available - Lehner, Markstrom, Murray, Kuemper, Khudobin, or Greiss.

Every one of those guys is a notable step back from Andersen. And there is no guarantee one of them does better under pressure, or that Andy would continue to do so.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
I haven't read this whole thread but it seems to be (if it hasn't been mentioned already) that this situation is analogous to the Raps and Derozan. Very good player in the regular season...wouldn't be in the playoffs without him. But when it came time to step up his game when it really counted, he just couldn't take it to the next level. I see the same situation with Andersen. Unfortunately, there is no Kawhi coming back to us if we trade him. But I think its more about the cap space here. Time and again teams have proven that an average goalie with a solid D in front of him is usually more successful than a star with a porous D. Dallas this year is a perfect example. Anton Khudobin is NOT getting in the HOF any time soon. But their defence was rock solid in front of him, which made his job much easier. He made the saves he was supposed to, and because of that, the offence was able to get on track, and now they're in the final.

Freddie is the best goalie this team has had since Ed Belfour. But just like the Raps did with Demar, a change needs to be made if we expect to contend before the Big 4 contracts are up, especially Matthews'. If trading Andersen means we can upgrade the D without too much of a drop off in net, then its time to shit or get off the pot.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Look at how the organization treated other players in their final year. Did they try to maximize value, or try to win?

Bozak. JVR. Gardiner. Barrie.

I'd rather go for it with a top goalie, even if we knew he wouldn't be back. We're better with him than not.

Is he a top goalie though?

His macro stats in the regular season are fine but that hasn't translated into the post season.

I just don't see what's untouchable here

likecheese

Oct 21, 2019
Look at how the organization treated other players in their final year. Did they try to maximize value, or try to win?

Bozak. JVR. Gardiner. Barrie.

I'd rather go for it with a top goalie, even if we knew he wouldn't be back. We're better with him than not.
Those are all examples that turned out badly, how many return assets have we flushed? Why would you not trade Anderson, except if you believe next year's team will a Cup contender? And if you do believe that, then a know a guy with a thick Indian accent that will sell you computer securities for $1000 worth of Target gift cards.
But myself and numerous others were asking the same question about last season's clown show, why are they not getting a return for Barrie? They sure did prove us wrong though.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Those are all examples that turned out badly, how many return assets have we flushed? Why would you not trade Anderson, except if you believe next year's team will a Cup contender? And if you do believe that, then a know a guy with a thick Indian accent that will sell you computer securities for $1000 worth of Target gift cards.
But myself and numerous others were asking the same question about last season's clown show, why are they not getting a return for Barrie? They sure did prove us wrong though.

I won't confuse your hindsight and pessimism for a quality assessment of the team. I think they're a contender. They think they're a contender.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buds17

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I haven't read this whole thread but it seems to be (if it hasn't been mentioned already) that this situation is analogous to the Raps and Derozan. Very good player in the regular season...wouldn't be in the playoffs without him. But when it came time to step up his game when it really counted, he just couldn't take it to the next level. I see the same situation with Andersen. Unfortunately, there is no Kawhi coming back to us if we trade him. But I think its more about the cap space here. Time and again teams have proven that an average goalie with a solid D in front of him is usually more successful than a star with a porous D. Dallas this year is a perfect example. Anton Khudobin is NOT getting in the HOF any time soon. But their defence was rock solid in front of him, which made his job much easier. He made the saves he was supposed to, and because of that, the offence was able to get on track, and now they're in the final.

Freddie is the best goalie this team has had since Ed Belfour. But just like the Raps did with Demar, a change needs to be made if we expect to contend before the Big 4 contracts are up, especially Matthews'. If trading Andersen means we can upgrade the D without too much of a drop off in net, then its time to shit or get off the pot.

I think this same analogy could work for any of the big four as well.

It's all about who can you replace Andy with. Can you find the best goalie in the league like Masai did with Leonard? It's most likely the guy who replaces Andy will be far worse. Anyone looking to go back to the Toskala era?

Reactions: qqaz

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

I think JVR and Bozak had NTCs, so it's tough to know if a trade fit could have been found even if the team wanted to go that route. We can only speculate what any of the four could have returned and how any assets would have fared since none of them were ultimately moved. If a team is viewed as being a playoff team, they arguably are closer to a Cup contender than not since they at least have a chance at it. The Leafs can trade Andersen. He just has to then be capably replaced.

Last edited:
Reactions: qqaz

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
If you are using at least some of his cap space to sign a #1 or #1a Dman, you trade him at your earliest opportunity coinciding with the best return.

He's a victim of the top heavy cap spending, regardless of his lack of playoff success (he has plenty of company).

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
I think this same analogy could work for any of the big four as well.

It's all about who can you replace Andy with. Can you find the best goalie in the league like Masai did with Leonard? It's most likely the guy who replaces Andy will be far worse. Anyone looking to go back to the Toskala era?

Where did I say I wanted to replace Freddie with the worst goalie in the league? What I said was it's NOT about finding a Kawhi...because there isn't one. The NHL and the NBA are two different animals when it comes to player movement. This is about The Cap. You downgrade to an average goalie (or a 1a/1b rotation) who have shown the ability to elevate their game at critical times and use the cap savings from that, plus dealing Johnson (who is the next to go, BTW...mark my words) to bolster the D so they don't have to stand on their head for 60 minutes.

I think if we pair a solid, vet goalie with a good track record with Campbell and give them both 35 to 40 games, we'll be farther ahead come playoff time than if we follow the formula of the past 4 years....playing the backup only on back to backs for 20 games or so and wearing out the starter.

I say what have we got to lose? We were pretty much in the playoffs before COVID, and then we blew it by losing the play-in. And while that's not all on the goalie, his predisposition for letting in weak goals at exactly the wrong time was an issue, just as it has been an issue for the past 4 years. Time for a change.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Where did I say I wanted to replace Freddie with the worst goalie in the league? What I said was it's NOT about finding a Kawhi...because there isn't one. The NHL and the NBA are two different animals when it comes to player movement. This is about The Cap. You downgrade to an average goalie (or a 1a/1b rotation) who have shown the ability to elevate their game at critical times and use the cap savings from that, plus dealing Johnson (who is the next to go, BTW...mark my words) to bolster the D so they don't have to stand on their head for 60 minutes.

I think if we pair a solid, vet goalie with a good track record with Campbell and give them both 35 to 40 games, we'll be farther ahead come playoff time than if we follow the formula of the past 4 years....playing the backup only on back to backs for 20 games or so and wearing out the starter.

I say what have we got to lose? We were pretty much in the playoffs before COVID, and then we blew it by losing the play-in. And while that's not all on the goalie, his predisposition for letting in weak goals at exactly the wrong time was an issue, just as it has been an issue for the past 4 years. Time for a change.

You're the one who used Demar as the analogy. My point is Demar wasn't randomly traded for some secondary piece. He was traded for an elite player, granted with only one year left and very unlikely to remain a Raptor long term. Masai took the gamble and got to raise a banner because of it.

So it's just not a comparison to the Andy situation, in which I agree, we're unlikely to get a better goalie in his place.

What you have to lose is missing the playoffs, which may end up being the next step for this team regardless of who is in net. There were plenty of games that Andy bailed the team out. If you move to a platoon within two goalies who are each worse than Andy you may end up with ten points less and miss the playoffs. Especially considering this team has a horrible defense and no signs of improving that.

Im not even advocating one way or the other, I just think it's really risky to toss aside a quality goalie, especially with a GM who has a track record poor evaluation at the position.

If anything, I could see Dubas looking to trade Andy, then turn those assets into Murray, but who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad