RD Noah Dobson - Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL (2018, 12th, NYI)

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I wanted Halifax but the Huskies have been dominant this year. They don’t have big name guys but they’re a complete team. I’m really excited for Dobson to be added to a contender. I wonder if they pair him with Bergeron?

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
I would have taken Dobson or Bouchard over Hughes at 7 for the Canucks (still would).

I had Dobson before Hughes too, and was gutted by the Hughes pick. Not as gutted as I was when we took Juolevi over Tkachuk, but still pissed. Now, I pray everyday I was wrong, but I love Dobson as a prospect... even with his less than impressive year to date

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I would have taken Dobson or Bouchard over Hughes at 7 for the Canucks (still would).

I lean(ed) towards Dobson because I am slightly old-school/conservative and I think Dobson has great upside with relatively low risk-factor but Hughes was one of the 4 guys remaining who I would have been content with at 4th OV. I think he's gonna be sooo good and he fits your team make-up well. Very few guys can transition the puck from the back-end like he can.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I lean(ed) towards Dobson because I am slightly old-school/conservative and I think Dobson has great upside with relatively low risk-factor but Hughes was one of the 4 guys remaining who I would have been content with at 4th OV. I think he's gonna be sooo good and he fits your team make-up well. Very few guys can transition the puck from the back-end like he can.

Hughes is a fantastic prospect, his skating is Barzal-esque. He is the poster child of the new breed of these swift mighty mites that can generate offense with defensive concerns. If used properly, he can be a gamebreaker. It will be interesting to see how he and the others of his type pan out at the NHL level - Makar, Boqvist, Girard. Krug and Ghost are the NHL examples that come to mind of that archetype.

I'm old school too and that drew me to Dobson. Love his size, mobility, intelligence. He has all the look of a minute munching all situations d-man. Patterns his game after Seth Jones. While I don't think Dobson has Jones' upside, he brings a very similar skillset package and style of game. If Dobson plans out, he could be a 3-zone force and no other top 2018 d-man prospect (aside from Dahlin of course) truly offers that projection.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
Hughes is a fantastic prospect, his skating is Barzal-esque. He is the poster child of the new breed of these swift mighty mites that can generate offense with defensive concerns. If used properly, he can be a gamebreaker. It will be interesting to see how he and the others of his type pan out at the NHL level - Makar, Boqvist, Girard. Krug and Ghost are the NHL examples that come to mind of that archetype.

I'm old school too and that drew me to Dobson. Love his size, mobility, intelligence. He has all the look of a minute munching all situations d-man. Patterns his game after Seth Jones. While I don't think Dobson has Jones' upside, he brings a very similar skillset package and style of game. If Dobson plans out, he could be a 3-zone force and no other top 2018 d-man prospect (aside from Dahlin of course) truly offers that projection.
i'd argue that you could throw Ty Smith into that category as well...guessing konk would agree.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

I had expected the Canucks to take Dobson, actually hoping for him over Bouchard, simply due to the skating difference between the 2 guys. Also wanted a RHD since those are harder to find. Had fully expected Detroit to take Hughes, but they opted for Zadina when he fell slightly.

I doubt Hughes will be as good as Dobson in his own zone, if the other team is on the cycle. Think he'll manage just fine off the rush if he's facing the guys coming in on him. If the forward gets a step on him (and with Hughes' skating, that would be an accomplishment on the part of the forward, then the forward should be able to drive to the net and overpower Hughes). Hughes can turn and retrieve the puck if the dump in isn't a good one for the forechecking team. But, if you can bounce the puck in and force him to engage in a puck battle, you get to attack Hughes' lack of size.

Same note, I think Hughes is the better offensive blue liner. It's really a matter of style. Some will always cater to the size which should help in the defensive zone. Others will like the offensive flair and elite skating that Hughes brings.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Ahhhh the CHL... From domination nation to quick **** real quick!

:highclap:

Is Rouyn-Noranda built for now or will they be competitive again next year?

I ask because with the way things are looking, it's likely Dobson will be back in the Q next year. Would they still be Memorial Cup potential worthy?

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Is Rouyn-Noranda built for now or will they be competitive again next year?

I ask because with the way things are looking, it's likely Dobson will be back in the Q next year. Would they still be Memorial Cup potential worthy?
Just looking at their team, well my first question is how the hell does Rouyn-Noranda have four overagers? Lauzon, Harvey, Abbandonato, Neveu. They trade one that eliteprospects just hasn't picked up on yet?

Anyways, losing Lauzon, Harvey, Abbandonato, Neveu. I don't think they get Teasdale back, my guess is the Habs sign him. Harvey-Pinard is likely back as overager though.

My guess would be that they go into the 2019-20 season with a core of:
  1. Raphael Harvey-Pinard (OA)
  2. Patrik Hrehorcak (OA)
  3. some other OA
  4. Noah Dobson
  5. Jakub Lauko
  6. Justin Bergeron
  7. Alex Beaucage
The team won't be as good as they were this year but they should have quite a few returning players to atleast remain competitive.

NSHockeyfanCH

Dec 28, 2017
Just looking at their team, well my first question is how the hell does Rouyn-Noranda have four overagers? Lauzon, Harvey, Abbandonato, Neveu. They trade one that eliteprospects just hasn't picked up on yet?

Anyways, losing Lauzon, Harvey, Abbandonato, Neveu. I don't think they get Teasdale back, my guess is the Habs sign him. Harvey-Pinard is likely back as overager though.

My guess would be that they go into the 2019-20 season with a core of:
  1. Raphael Harvey-Pinard (OA)
  2. Patrik Hrehorcak (OA)
  3. some other OA
  4. Noah Dobson
  5. Jakub Lauko
  6. Justin Bergeron
  7. Alex Beaucage
The team won't be as good as they were this year but they should have quite a few returning players to atleast remain competitive.
Lauzon hasnt played yet this year i think they'll see if he can get healthy and then make a decision on which overagers to keep. they should be pretty decent next year too, this year both of their goalies are top in the league in gaa and sv% and emond will be back next year, they do very well drafting

Reactions: PWJunior

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Lauzon hasnt played yet this year i think they'll see if he can get healthy and then make a decision on which overagers to keep. they should be pretty decent next year too, this year both of their goalies are top in the league in gaa and sv% and emond will be back next year, they do very well drafting
Okay makes sense, thanks for the clarification.

Reactions: NSHockeyfanCH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad