RD Noah Dobson - Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL (2018, 12th, NYI)

Peeps

May 24, 2017
Nice to see him with a good team again lol.

But it was a good sign that he was able to score 9 goals with the worst team of the Q.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Nice to see him with a good team again lol.

But it was a good sign that he was able to score 9 goals with the worst team of the Q.

His numbers should explode now that he has talent around him. A 3 assist night and 2nd star in his debut is a good sign.

Having several days to practice with the team before any games probably helped the transition.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
His numbers should explode now that he has talent around him. A 3 assist night and 2nd star in his debut is a good sign.

Having several days to practice with the team before any games probably helped the transition.

he was really solid when he played against Moncton last week. Had such a calming presence. I still think he's a future top pairing D.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Reactions: PWJunior

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I say NYI trade him to the first team offering a 1st and second rounder.

I disagree, the organization has struggled to find good defensemen for a while, and now they have the depth to not rush their prospects and a HoF coach to help develop them.

WildWillie

Jan 9, 2019
"Calming presence" is definitely a good way to describe him. I watched him play recently and often didn't notice him on the ice (which can be a compliment for a defenseman) but at the end of the game he was on the score sheet 3 times. You can't beat him one on one, makes a great first pass, and keeps the game simple. People get caught up on his stats, but you have to recognize what type of player he is. He was never going to generate scoring on his own in Bathurst. An NHL comparison for me is Jay Bouwmeester. don't see him being more than a 40 point contributor but a guy that will play on a top pairing and play big minutes.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
I disagree, the organization has struggled to find good defensemen for a while, and now they have the depth to not rush their prospects and a HoF coach to help develop them.

Yeah i guess im dreaming that they could pick up two defensman with those first and second round picks.. History shows alot of good defesnman are drafted in the middle first and 2nd rounds.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Yeah i guess im dreaming that they could pick up two defensman with those first and second round picks.. History shows alot of good defesnman are drafted in the middle first and 2nd rounds.

No doubt, but NYI’s cornerstone piece (Barzal) has already arrived.

How long will those late 1st/2nd round picks take to develop into high quality NHLers? History says that could take half a decade.

Meanwhile, Dobson’s already in his. D+1 season and is probably at most two years away from contributing.

Part of an NHL GM’s job to find the perfect balance between finding high upside players in the draft and prospects who can contribute sooner rather than later in the NHL.

Dobson seems like he can make the NHL soon AND have high upside. He’s as untouchable of a prospect the organization has.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He has a nice shot on the PP. He shoot the puck a lot to generate chances on 5v5.

Like Brent Burns does at the blue line.

Interesting that you say this because I've always thought of NYI's other 2018 draft pick Bode Wilde as someone akin to Brent Burns' style of play.

If I were to compare Dobson's style of play to an NHL star's, it would be Ryan Suter.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Interesting that you say this because I've always thought of NYI's other 2018 draft pick Bode Wilde as someone akin to Brent Burns' style of play.

If I were to compare Dobson's style of play to an NHL star's, it would be Ryan Suter.
That is a fair comparison, I believe his puck moving skills need to get a little better in his own end. I doubt he plays top PP (or even 2nd PP) at the next level. Ryan McDonagh is who i think of.

Peeps

May 24, 2017

Yes I was only referring Brent Burns in the sense of both taking a lot of shot at the blue line.

I see Dobson as a 1st pair 2-way def that plays 25mins a game PP PK included.

Ryan Suter is a good comparison yes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad