RD Matt Dumba (2012, 7th overall, Minnesota)

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I think he COULD get selected top 4, but it's more likely that he'll go in the 5-8 range.

countrcultur

Jan 10, 2012
We'll have to agree to disagree. Sat with a scout and a professional powerskating instructor two weeks ago. They said the same thing, his skating is not up to par.

THe average WHL forwards skating must really suck then because Dumba blows by a lot of them. The truth is his skating is what allows him to play the game that he does. Those big open ice hits are the product of being able to adjust from backwards to forwards or quickly laterally. On the blueline he can go from a standstill to spinning a 360 to the outside, with the puck, and leave his man behind.

I cover the Edmonton Oil Kings and the Red Deer Rebels. This weekend I was by the oilers press box for the Oil Kings vs Rebels and their scouts were being wowed by his rushing and quickness.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
written by me ya, thanks. I am covering Oil kings games for insidehockey.com and the occasional Red Deer game. I will also be writing WHL player profiles for thehockeywriters.com

Shouldn't you know who Charles Inglis is if you are writing player profiles for the WHL? :laugh:

countrcultur

Jan 10, 2012
Shouldn't you know who Charles Inglis is if you are writing player profiles for the WHL? :laugh:

I know who he is. He is going to be the second profile I do. But I am just getting to know a lot of players so that's a big part of why I'm here. What did I say about Inglis? Funny thing, Inglis actually uses one of my photos as his profile pic on twitter. Anyway, I am definitely learning on the job.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I know who he is. He is going to be the second profile I do. But I am just getting to know a lot of players so that's a big part of why I'm here. What did I say about Inglis? Funny thing, Inglis actually uses one of my photos as his profile pic on twitter. Anyway, I am definitely learning on the job.

Wasn't meant to be an insult, was just an observation.

countrcultur

Jan 10, 2012
Just that you had to ask your scout source for reasons why he wasn't a player who was drafted into the NHL by now.

Ah, no I asked about his chances of being drafted, he is eligible this year. Mainly I wanted to plug my sources scouting because he's a young guy. But I also wanted a second opinion because I don't have a real handle on where guys will go in the draft.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Mathew Dumba is Officially On The Radar (obviously).

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.com/2012/03/officially-on-radar-mathew-dumba.html

Physically he continues to improve, adding size and strength. He likes to play the body and is known for huge hits in the neutral zone. Those hits have raised up the name Dion Phaneuf as a comparable for Dumba. Is that 100% accurate? Not really. I would say he plays more like PK Subban of Montreal, when looking at style of play.

Going forward, Dumba is going to make some NHL team very happy. I have him rated to go inside the top 5 of the 2012 NHL Draft and he could even end up going inside the top 3.

countrcultur

Jan 10, 2012
Good stuff. His defensive play seems to be above average to me. It was the knock on him last year but I haven't noticed any serious defensive lapses or areas of weakness.

The only thing I would say he needs to work on is his positioning. He tends to roam

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Is his hockey sense good or not? I hear he's as dumb as Dion one minute and the next I hear it's pretty darn good...?

vezna*

he's more PK than Phaneuf with his hits. PK relies on speed. Phaneuf can crush someone in two strides.

Fearless Leaf*

Dumba is a very solid d-man, but what does he projects to be? Does anyone think he has it in him to be a legit #1 D-man at the NHL in few years?

Personally from what I have caught off him in a few stretches, he is not only dynamic offensively and punishing physically, but he is also not too shabby in his own end and seems to be much more smarter than both Dion and Subban. Though, I have no idea if he can be a legit#1 D at the NHL level with his small size.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
I love Dumba myself. More than Murray. Been seeing him a lot of him the past year.

One question for everybody who's watched him though, in your eyes, How far is he from being NHL ready?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I love Dumba myself. More than Murray. Been seeing him a lot of him the past year.

One question for everybody who's watched him though, in your eyes, How far is he from being NHL ready?

I would say atleast a year or two after this year.

countrcultur

Jan 10, 2012
he's more PK than Phaneuf with his hits. PK relies on speed. Phaneuf can crush someone in two strides.

I think he is closer to PK in that area as you've pointed out but he's still a bit different. Dumba is extremely durable and physical for his size, which isn't as small as people think if you see him without his equipment. He's is definitely bigger than the 173 that he is listed at in certain places. As far as hitting it is more about lateral movement and timing. He just has a great sense of when to stop up or slide into the lane when the opponent is commited to a direction. He is backing up in one-on-one coverage on a forward looking for the right moment to cut in or try to go wide and dumba is able to read and react fast enough to make the big hits. He had one against lethbridge and it is really such an impact play it can easily be compared to a flashy break away goal. The crowd all woke up, everyone on both benches was affected. It just really turned up Red Deer's play a notch.

Probably the coolest thing was that he didn't have to drop the gloves afterwards. I like fighting in hockey, especially when you know who the tough guys are and it's like a game within the game. But the big clean hits leading to fights is kind of getting out of control. Dumba had to fight a number of times last year as a 16 year old almost everytime after big hits that weren't penalties. Most of the time the other guy was perfectly fine afterwards as well. Like at the top prospects game. Anyway, just my two cents.

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
I think he is closer to PK in that area as you've pointed out but he's still a bit different. Dumba is extremely durable and physical for his size, which isn't as small as people think if you see him without his equipment. He's is definitely bigger than the 173 that he is listed at in certain places. As far as hitting it is more about lateral movement and timing. He just has a great sense of when to stop up or slide into the lane when the opponent is commited to a direction. He is backing up in one-on-one coverage on a forward looking for the right moment to cut in or try to go wide and dumba is able to read and react fast enough to make the big hits. He had one against lethbridge and it is really such an impact play it can easily be compared to a flashy break away goal. The crowd all woke up, everyone on both benches was affected. It just really turned up Red Deer's play a notch.

Probably the coolest thing was that he didn't have to drop the gloves afterwards. I like fighting in hockey, especially when you know who the tough guys are and it's like a game within the game. But the big clean hits leading to fights is kind of getting out of control. Dumba had to fight a number of times last year as a 16 year old almost everytime after big hits that weren't penalties. Most of the time the other guy was perfectly fine afterwards as well. Like at the top prospects game. Anyway, just my two cents.

That sounds like Nik Kronwall of DET.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Red Deer wrapped up their season Saturday after failing to make the playoffs. If I'm not mistaken, the team ended the season with 14 skaters due to injury. Dumba, fortunately, was healthy pretty well all year.

And his season isn't done. It hasn't been announced yet, but he'll be a part of Canada's U18 entry.

“You can’t even describe it,†Dumba said. “It’s just a rush of emotions. You’ve seen it all your life, since you were little. You just admired those guys who have done it in the past and once you’re able to do it it’s a pretty amazing feeling. When you do it, it’s pretty special.â€

http://futureconsiderations.ca/dumba-primed-to-represent-canada-again/

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Dumba was my favourite defenceman and the start of the year and is still IMO the defenceman with the highest upside in the draft. If I'm picking 3rd overall I wouldn't hesitate to select Dumba. He can control the game and I would much rather have a player that I have to "reign in" from being too agressive than a player that I have to "light a fire" underneath.

He's a kid. Of course he still has a lot of learning to do. Since when is picking a prospect based on how polished the kid is, or how long it takes for him to develop?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad