RD Matt Dumba (2012, 7th overall, Minnesota)

R S

Sep 18, 2006
One of the top defenseman for the 2012 NHL draft is Matt Dumba. Doesn't seem to have his own thread yet, so I thought I would start one.

I've only had a chance to see him live once and I really liked what I saw.

Big right handed shot that hits like a truck and skates very well. A very physical edge to his game that has translated very well from Bantam into the WHL.

Here's a little article about him from Dan Sallows today:

http://dansallows.com/interview-mathew-dumba/

A couple videos of him from the last 2 seasons:

I like the Dion Phaneuf comparison quite a bit. To me he reminded me quite a bit of PK Subban too. Both pretty big guys, right handed shots that are both very solid both ways. Also both like to lower the boom every once in a while as well.

Dumba might be the best open ice hitter in the WHL right now as a 16 year old. That's pretty impressive. I think that's why he draws a lot of comparisons to Phaneuf.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
I agree with the Phaneuf comparison. Like Dion he runs around a bit too much to make the big hit, gets caught out of postion, and like most rookie dmen needs to work on his defence. He has a great tool box and if he puts it together could be the second best dman to come from the WHL in 2012. Very hi upside but still very raw.

BigD66

Mar 24, 2009
Red Deer, Alberta
status update?

Kids got good vision and smarts. needs to calm down slightly and take a breathe while on the ice, but fun too watch for sure.

He's back playing. Was out for about 5 or so games, but has been back for the last 4 games, and scored a goal last night in the Rebels 5-1 win over Calgary. (RNH got a hat trick)

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
At the 1:00 mark of that first video, it looked like he was Ulf Samuelsson with a flying knee there.

He looks a lot like vintage Vladimir Konstantinov to me just from the highlights.

Grod

The New Era Lives On
Feb 10, 2010
Edmonton
Looks a lot like Subban. I noticed him earlier his year. A definite standout defensively. Plays with a lot confidence, skill and "swagger". Has a hard shot, crisp accurate passes and is extremely mobile with the puck. Not too mention his unorthodox physical edge. Looks like he came from the Subban family. If i hadn't watched Jordan Subban play at the Winter games I might confuse this with him...:sarcasm:

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Playing right now on Sportsnet for those interest. Man does he look like Subban out there. But boy is he wild. He is going to need to be reigned in a bit.

AStammer7*

Dumba Will Be Top 3-5 in 2012 Draft!!!

He's already one of my fav prospects for the 2012 draft.

This guy's going to be a good one.

Saw Matt Dumba(Red Deer Rebels)only once but came away very impressed. He held his own and actaully got into a fight with a tough guy on the Lethbridge Hurricanes. Dumba going to be a highly prized prospect come the 2012 NHL draft and someone is going to get one helluva RD with definite shutdown capabilities even for a 16 year old. Tough as nails to boot and is afraid of no one and could be a PP guy too...

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Hard to say he will be top 3-5 right now, 2012 is just too deep, especially on the blue line.

I see big things from him in the future, and I think top 10-12 is as bold as I will go.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Big goal for Dumba against Calgary. A quick snapper off his off leg.

Grod

The New Era Lives On
Feb 10, 2010
Edmonton
Big goal for Dumba against Calgary. A quick snapper off his off leg.

While he was playing forward. Wallin let the animal out of his cage we call defense. Great goal. Wicked release.

He will go in the top 10 next year. He's a gift to whoever gets him.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
who do you like more: Dumba or Ryan Murray?

sorry for being off topic.. didnt wanna make an extra thread.

Murray. I like Murray as much as anyone in the 2012 draft though, along with Yakupov in Sarnia. Those are still my top 2 for 2012.

I think Dumba is right there in the discussion with other potential top 10 guys though.

Another guy that I like top 5 though is Griffin Reinhart in Edmonton. Pronger-esque he is.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Murray. I like Murray as much as anyone in the 2012 draft though, along with Yakupov in Sarnia. Those are still my top 2 for 2012.

I think Dumba is right there in the discussion with other potential top 10 guys though.

Another guy that I like top 5 though is Griffin Reinhart in Edmonton. Pronger-esque he is.

ive heard a little about Reinhart. its kinda tough to get good info on these guys from where i live, but im interested in the process.

another name: Codi Ceci - OHL d-man. you do more work around WHL players, but do what do you think about him? top 10/top 5?

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
who do you like more: Dumba or Ryan Murray?

sorry for being off topic.. didnt wanna make an extra thread.

I have seen Murray around 15 times this year and last year. I have seen Dumba around 10 times this year. For me its Murray, he is thrown out there in all situations.
He is really a true all around dmen. The one knock I have on him is his shot could use some work. Dumba is at times a rover which can be a good thing or a bad thing. He has a hell of a shot, hard hitter and a great skater, but still has along way to go when it comes to playing in his own end. As I said before I think Murray is the best prospect to come from the WHL since 2003.

TaylorHall

First overall
Sep 20, 2008
Never heard of this player before today when I read an article about him being the next Doughty. Decided to Google and found this thread. Seems like a very interesting prospect to watch out for

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
With all these highlights videos, it sure has offensive talent. But, how is he in the defensive zone? I read the Subban comparison, Subban had a very poor defensive coverage in the Juniors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad