RD Matt Dumba (2012, 7th overall, Minnesota)

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
More exciting but nowehere near as well rounded as Ryan Murray. Murray is a monster

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Much better this year. You can tell he knows what he needs to improve on. He is still very raw, but his skill set is top notch. Dumba is likely not going to grow much, but has a frame that will allow him to be very strong.

Very nice points, I agree with everything you said here.

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
THW: The Next Ones - 2012 Edition: Latest = Matt Dumba

This will be the home thread for The Hockey Writers (THW): 2012 Draft coverage, and The Next Ones series of articles - profiling prospects.

Update (Feb 3/12):

In depth look at Mathew (Matt) Dumba in the latest installment of The Next Ones at THW:

http://thehockeywriters.com/mathew-dumba-the-next-ones-nhl-2012-draft-prospect-profile/

Nail Yakupov is fittingly first up.

Please note the first hand quotes from hockey people "in the know".

- Ross MacLean - Head Scout for International Scouting Services
- Mark Glavin - Assistant GM of Sarnia Sting (OHL)....and....
- IGOR LARIONOV - hockey legend!!! (For the younger readers: one of the 1st Russian players to come to North America - centered one of the most famous lines in hockey history - the KLM line)

Link:
http://thehockeywriters.com/nail-yakupov-profile/

Many thanks!

If you're unfamiliar with THW's NHL Entry Draft articles and The Next Ones article series check out:
http://thehockeywriters.com/2011-nhl-entry-draft-guide/

Last edited:

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Haha Risk: 0.5/5, Reward: 5/5

Kid is on his way to being a top 5 talent in the world. I hope he goes to a team where he'll get some major exposure. Imagine him in Montreal, Toronto, Pittsburgh or Philly?

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Yes, but it will most likely be Columbus/Winnipeg.

Don't say such terrible things! I'm hoping he goes soemwhere that will put him in the spotlight. Of course, he could pull a Crosby or Ovechkin and save a dying franchise but I don't like seeing that.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Good read Chris and I appreciate the mention in the article!

I look forward to knocking off some of these "Next Ones" again this season

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
It's not that I dislike seeing teams find success, it's more the obnoxious bandwagon fans.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
obnoxious fans are everywhere, it doesnt matter if you cheer for panthers or the penguins

I completely agree. I just shake my head wondering where Caps/Pens/Hawks fans were 10 years ago. And we'll see the same with my favourite team, the Leafs, when they get competitive. It's the nature of sports, but I don't like it.

jetkarma*

:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:
Haha Risk: 0.5/5, Reward: 5/5

Kid is on his way to being a top 5 talent in the world. I hope he goes to a team where he'll get some major exposure. Imagine him in Montreal, Toronto, Pittsburgh or Philly?

:dunno:

jetkarma*

:dunno::dunno::dunno:
Don't say such terrible things! I'm hoping he goes soemwhere that will put him in the spotlight. Of course, he could pull a Crosby or Ovechkin and save a dying franchise but I don't like seeing that.

:dunno:

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Great job Chris.

I love these series and are a must read for me. Hopefully you can churn out more this year (I know I'm being greedy, but they are terrific for info).

Cheers!

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
Wow...thanks all. I appreciate all the comments and feedback more than you know.

This was admittedly an extra special article to do with getting a quote from a true hockey legend - Igor Larionov - class act!

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
It's not that I dislike seeing teams find success, it's more the obnoxious bandwagon fans.

Shouldn't mind him going to the Jets, then. Winnipeg has had a solid fanbase since forever despite not even having a team for the last 15 years.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Red Deer came to town for last weekend for a two game series. Dumba looked great. He had 3 points in the game I went to, and the goal was unreal. He got the puck at the point from Petrovic, did a spin-o-rama around a Royals Forward, Walked in and snapped it top corner. Absolutely insane this kid. Didn't get to see much of his hitting ability or his defensive play but he looked reliable.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Mathew Dumba

My search function doesn't seem to work, as I typed in this guys name and got nothing back. Not wanting to waste time going through pages, I'll start a new topic.

I saw the rankings came out today and noticed that Dumba was ranked #2 in the WHL.

Where do you see this guy getting drafted? What spot?

Thanks.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
He'll be taken 3rd IMO behind Yakupov and Grigorenko. The guy has everything: size, mobility, speed, IQ, leadership.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->