RD Matt Dumba (2012, 7th overall, Minnesota)

countrcultur

Jan 10, 2012
Dumba was my favourite defenceman and the start of the year and is still IMO the defenceman with the highest upside in the draft. If I'm picking 3rd overall I wouldn't hesitate to select Dumba. He can control the game and I would much rather have a player that I have to "reign in" from being too agressive than a player that I have to "light a fire" underneath.

He's a kid. Of course he still has a lot of learning to do. Since when is picking a prospect based on how polished the kid is, or how long it takes for him to develop?

I agree. Watched him around 20 times this year including a bunch lately when they were playing 4-5 D. Seen Murray a few times, pouliot, rienhart a bunch. Dumba Is my number one choice as well. He is close to any of those other guys in any one aspect that they might be better but is better than all of them in most aspects. He has really been playing a well-rounded high energy game for 30 mins a night with consistency. Ultra impressive player.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
His stats are inflated from playing so many minutes. He has trouble with wingers going outside on him. He's small for the physical game he wants to play.
But he has tonnes of character and likes to go to the dirty areas.
He will get picked between 4th and 6th imo. And if he grows, he can play the same game in the NHL, if he doesn't grow, he's going to have to adjust.
Interesting to note he didn't make the 1st or 2nd all star team in the WHL this year

R S

Sep 18, 2006
His stats are inflated from playing so many minutes. He has trouble with wingers going outside on him. He's small for the physical game he wants to play.
But he has tonnes of character and likes to go to the dirty areas.
He will get picked between 4th and 6th imo. And if he grows, he can play the same game in the NHL, if he doesn't grow, he's going to have to adjust.
Interesting to note he didn't make the 1st or 2nd all star team in the WHL this year

I know that he was in the running though. He definitely got some votes, but age held him back.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Interesting thread from a Rebels watcher
http://www.whlfans.ca/showthread.php?t=24667
Matt Dumba - (B-) - He was just a couple of goals away from leading the team in points this season. On the flip side, it was really really hard to watch all the mistakes that he made on the defensive side of things, and he had maybe one of his signature huge open-ice hits in the entire last half of the season. It is going to be really hard for NHL teams to overlook his offensive production, but I see him back in Red Deer next season, as being that much out of position most of the time isn't going to fly at the NHL level, and he still has a lot of work to do on that.

That's what I see in Dumba a lot, out of position, and wingers fly by him on the outside....

BigD66

Mar 24, 2009
Red Deer, Alberta
I think that guy discounted Dumba for having less "wow" factor due to him focussing on playing more sound defense and being more calculated with those big hits, so they didn't come as often. I saw Dumba improve his defensive positioning and skills all year. He still needs to work on it, and I think he'll be back in Red Deer next year too, but he hasn't regressed in my opinion.

Plus, Petrovic gets an A++ and Dumba a B-? From watching the Rebels all year I don't agree with that. Dumba was easily just as strong as Petrovic from what I saw.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Any chemistry with RNH last season? I think that could factor into the Oilers' choice.

??? I always hear this sort of thing from people about how a team should go after a prospect because he has good chemistry in juniors with their prospect. I really don't think it makes for a good enough reason to rank a player higher than he should be ranked. Especially a forward and a defenseman.

countrcultur

Jan 10, 2012
I think that guy discounted Dumba for having less "wow" factor due to him focussing on playing more sound defense and being more calculated with those big hits, so they didn't come as often. I saw Dumba improve his defensive positioning and skills all year. He still needs to work on it, and I think he'll be back in Red Deer next year too, but he hasn't regressed in my opinion.

Plus, Petrovic gets an A++ and Dumba a B-? From watching the Rebels all year I don't agree with that. Dumba was easily just as strong as Petrovic from what I saw.

Agreed. Dumba and petrovic shared duties and played fairly equal minutes and at a fairly even level. I would say dumba slightly bigger impact offensively and Alex better defensively slightly.

As far as wingers flying by him a lot... Seriously? I didn't see it. The reason they couldnt win enough games down the stretch is they had like 10-18 injuries with some key guys out. Dumba's partner was out which was there number four and I think petrovics partner as well. I saw the other guys get beat a lot but they were stepping up big time in minutes and responsibility.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
It didn't stop the younger Pulock from making the 1st team though....

Yeah, and Pulock had a far superior year. Nobody's denying that. Was just telling you that I know of atleast a few WHL GM's/coaches had his name written down on their ballots.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
One thing I love about Dumba is he always cares the puck from his own end into the offensive zone by himself. Definitely awesome in the PMD skill.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Yeah, and Pulock had a far superior year. Nobody's denying that. Was just telling you that I know of atleast a few WHL GM's/coaches had his name written down on their ballots.

Yeah, I just had to pry that out of you, because originally you said Dumba didn't make the all star teams because;

"but age held him back"

When the real reason was he wasn't good enough to make the all star teams, which you now admit, so we're good now! Just have to get Aaron Vickers to see the light now!

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
One thing I love about Dumba is he always cares the puck from his own end into the offensive zone by himself. Definitely awesome in the PMD skill.

Call it semantics but I'd say him(and Reilly to a lesser extent) are more "puck rushers" than puck movers. Dumba's passing isn't outstanding but he won't think twice about taking it up ice and getting the breakout done by himself. It's part of what makes him so dangerous, but it doesn't make him a PPQB, more of a bomb from the point.

ie. Perfect for Edmonton, let RNH QB the powerplay with Dumba bombing them on net. There are other defenseman that EDM would love as well, but this isn't a Murray thread.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
We're seeing the good and the bad of Dumba at the U18's
"Matt Dumba: The effort is there all the time but the brain is not always on par with effort. One quick example: Morrissey was lugging the puck out of his zone and drew 3 defenders to his side of the ice. Dumba supported him towards the middle of the ice (correctly) and Morrissey dished it to him. What does Dumba do? he follows up Morrissey's rear rather than skating or moving the puck to the open weak side. Morrissey actually did a great job adjusting to this and moved towards the middle to give Dumba and option. Too many plays like this by Dumba"
http://www.hockeyprospect.com/index.php/articles/nhl-draft-news/item/111-2012-world-under-18.html

R S

Sep 18, 2006
We're seeing the good and the bad of Dumba at the U18's
"Matt Dumba: The effort is there all the time but the brain is not always on par with effort. One quick example: Morrissey was lugging the puck out of his zone and drew 3 defenders to his side of the ice. Dumba supported him towards the middle of the ice (correctly) and Morrissey dished it to him. What does Dumba do? he follows up Morrissey's rear rather than skating or moving the puck to the open weak side. Morrissey actually did a great job adjusting to this and moved towards the middle to give Dumba and option. Too many plays like this by Dumba"
http://www.hockeyprospect.com/index.php/articles/nhl-draft-news/item/111-2012-world-under-18.html

Yeah, he's a unique animal. Very raw and explosive but going to take some time to sort out his decision making, play away from the puck and overall defensive awareness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad