RD Matt Dumba (2012, 7th overall, Minnesota)

countrcultur

Jan 10, 2012
Going to watch him twice live this weekend, watched him in december, really had the oil kings backing up when he carried the puck, he is getting so much ice time now, I think he will not go less than top 5. Hockey iq is getting better because he is just so engaged at all times. Talking things over with coaches and players on the bench, directing things on the ice, he is really looking like the real deal this year. I am going to find out how much he really weighs too.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
All I know is he scores a crapload of goals at the junior level, like he's probably going to get 20+ this year which is Ryan Ellis levels of production. Weber only ever got 12. His shot and offensive instincts are first-class. He's honestly a PK Subban clone (which I love), 2 more years in junior for this kid and will be perfect to hone his skills and balance out his game.

countrcultur

Jan 10, 2012
All I know is he scores a crapload of goals at the junior level, like he's probably going to get 20+ this year which is Ryan Ellis levels of production. Weber only ever got 12. His shot and offensive instincts are first-class. He's honestly a PK Subban clone (which I love), 2 more years in junior for this kid and will be perfect to hone his skills and balance out his game.

People sleep on his defensive zone play and his smarts. I think it's because of the early scouting on him. He is +5 playing a lot of time on a team that's just above .500. People reciting early critisisms need to take a second look at this kid. He plays in all situations now, he is much more disciplined and he's really gained the coaching staff's trust.

jeremywilhelm

Oct 17, 2008
Dumba is regularly lost in the defensive zone, and is a pretty weak skater. He will need alot of time developing before he ever has success above major junior.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
Its true. His skating stride is awkward. It won't translate well to the next level because his lateral agility is pretty bad. He is ok in straight lines, but if he wants to be a high end defenseman, he'll need to work on his skating.
I completely disagree. If you want to point out other parts of his game that is fair, but skating is not an issue.

jeremywilhelm

Oct 17, 2008
I completely disagree. If you want to point out other parts of his game that is fair, but skating is not an issue.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Sat with a scout and a professional powerskating instructor two weeks ago. They said the same thing, his skating is not up to par.

NeilYoung

May 7, 2009
I think sometimes people put to much stock into height and weight, Some players in reality are a lot stronger than those numbers would indicate solely based on being exceptionally strong on there skates. In my mind Dumba is the classic example of this.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
People sleep on his defensive zone play and his smarts. I think it's because of the early scouting on him. He is +5 playing a lot of time on a team that's just above .500. People reciting early critisisms need to take a second look at this kid. He plays in all situations now, he is much more disciplined and he's really gained the coaching staff's trust.

He chases a bit right now but his good skating really allows him to recover against WHL opponents and he also pretty much has license to go for big plays and hits when he wants to and play risky. That part of his game doesn't completely have to change but it will have to be adjusted to succeed at the next level, it's just a fact. Subban is learning on the job and Phaneuf is much better than he was when he first entered and every indication of Dumba's atittude and work ethic shows he will be willing to tweak his game a little. No worries from me there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->