RD Matt Dumba (2012, 7th overall, Minnesota)

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
If CBJ and NYI pass on him I think he's a Duck.

EDM: Obvious pick
CBJ: Won't want Grigorenko so....Murray
MTL: Need a center
NYI: Wild card...Forsberg?
TML: Will take the center MTL passed on or Forsberg if NYI didn't take him
ANA: Fits the hole that the Ducks need to fill on the blue line perfectly, adds to Anaheim's desire to be more ethnic-friendly, leadership qualities, passion, drive, grit...exactly what Murray has said he's looking for.

Beakermania*

The good and the bad of Dumba was on display at the U18s today.

Beauty shot on his goal. Poor defensive IQ and positioning on the 3rd goal for the US.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
The good and the bad of Dumba was on display at the U18s today.

Beauty shot on his goal. Poor defensive IQ and positioning on the 3rd goal for the US.

This is exactly why I hope Anaheim passes on Dumba. I like smart players, ESPECIALLY on defense. He's got great skills and decent physical attributes (I worry about his size with the style of game he plays), but he's got the Dion Phaneuf vibe on the defensive side of things, just doesn't seem to read the game well and Dion is much more of a physical specimen, though Dumba is a better skater.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
This is exactly why I hope Anaheim passes on Dumba. I like smart players, ESPECIALLY on defense. He's got great skills and decent physical attributes (I worry about his size with the style of game he plays), but he's got the Dion Phaneuf vibe on the defensive side of things, just doesn't seem to read the game well and Dion is much more of a physical specimen, though Dumba is a better skater.

More PK Subban than anything, his game needs refining but he is very receptive to coaching. He's like a wild stallion right now, but he still zipped a few passes across two lines today without thinking twice and looked extremely comfortable shooting the puck and setting up in the PP. Aggressiveness is there, you'd rather have that than take it away. Work in progress to be sure, but his skills are explosive. Dion is a blockhead who can't think the game, Dumba looks much more fluid out there, albeit very raw.

Dumba is the captain there and you can see with the interactions he has with his teammates, particularly Shinkaruk, that he has that infectious personality that spreads on to the ice. He soaks everything in and is a learner and listener. It looks like other players genuinely enjoy being around him and playing with him, can't say I could ever say that for Phaneuf - he seemed to march much more to his own drum. Dumba seems to have a very good head on his shoulders and is perptually upbeat. If Phaneuf hadn't had Brent Sutter to guide him and be on his ass every step of the way I honestly don't know where he'd be today - he had a hard time dealing with teammates at the beginning. Two totally different personalities.

countrcultur

Jan 10, 2012
More PK Subban than anything, his game needs refining but he is very receptive to coaching. He's like a wild stallion right now, but he still zipped a few passes across two lines today without thinking twice and looked extremely comfortable shooting the puck and setting up in the PP. Aggressiveness is there, you'd rather have that than take it away. Work in progress to be sure, but his skills are explosive. Dion is a blockhead who can't think the game, Dumba looks much more fluid out there, albeit very raw.

Dumba is the captain there and you can see with the interactions he has with his teammates, particularly Shinkaruk, that he has that infectious personality that spreads on to the ice. He soaks everything in and is a learner and listener. It looks like other players genuinely enjoy being around him and playing with him, can't say I could ever say that for Phaneuf - he seemed to march much more to his own drum. Dumba seems to have a very good head on his shoulders and is perptually upbeat. If Phaneuf hadn't had Brent Sutter to guide him and be on his ass every step of the way I honestly don't know where he'd be today - he had a hard time dealing with teammates at the beginning. Two totally different personalities.

well said. Matt seems very coachable I think. And his attitude is as you say, he was a great interview even down the stretch this season when things were going rough. Really good attitude and intelligent kid.

Oct 15, 2008

This was a poor game for Dumba. Probably the worst performance I have seen of him this year, and Im a big fan.

It wasnt representative of his game day in and day out.

AimForTopCheddar

trust the yzerplan
Feb 7, 2012
Calgary
The thing about Dumba is that he has offensive talents that can't be taught but his defensive mistakes like positioning can be fixed. Higher potential than Murray but certainly a high risk prospect.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
The thing about Dumba is that he has offensive talents that can't be taught but his defensive mistakes like positioning can be fixed. Higher potential than Murray but certainly a high risk prospect.

That's what I've thought as well.

Defensive zone coverage and transitioning varies to a degree depending on the system...but to have the kind of offensive instinct he has separates him from a number of other prospects.

weems

Jul 3, 2008

Hockeysense cannot be taught.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
For those who have seen both play, how would you compare Dumba and Rielly on the following dimensions:

1) Offensive potential;

2) Skating;

3) Physicality;

4) Defensive awareness.

Thanks in advance.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
For those who have seen both play, how would you compare Dumba and Rielly on the following dimensions:

1) Offensive potential;

2) Skating;

3) Physicality;

4) Defensive awareness.

Thanks in advance.

- Dumba has more offensive potential.

- Rielly is the better skater, but it's close.

- Dumba is better physically, especially in open ice.

- Rielly is much more advanced when it comes to defensive awareness.

I have roughly 8-10 live viewings of each player.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
- Dumba has more offensive potential.

- Rielly is the better skater, but it's close.

- Dumba is better physically, especially in open ice.

- Rielly is much more advanced when it comes to defensive awareness.

I have roughly 8-10 live viewings of each player.

If that's the case, then I would take Rielly without hesitation. Dumba would fit in better with a team that plays very solid team defense, like Minnesota or New Jersey. That way the team could cover up his mistakes.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
If that's the case, then I would take Rielly without hesitation. Dumba would fit in better with a team that plays very solid team defense, like Minnesota or New Jersey. That way the team could cover up his mistakes.

Well it's not like these players are finished products. They always have the ability to grow and improve in all areas...

Yashin for President

Jan 14, 2007
Bestchester
I just find it hard to believe the Dumba was rated so high and then all of the sudden drops. I dont buy it. I think the kid has everything. since when is 6'0 too short to be a defenseman? Isnt PK Subban a good comparison to Dumba sizewise? The Isles lack D but they lack players that are aggressive as well. Isles need a gamechanging defenseman in the worst way. I would take this guy in a heartbeat.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Hockeysense cannot be taught.

If you define hockey sense as some sort of clairvoyance or telepathy, maybe you are right.

If you break it down to basics, a good coach can absolutely teach a young player a whole lot about positioning, timing, discipline and decision making.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I just find it hard to believe the Dumba was rated so high and then all of the sudden drops. I dont buy it. I think the kid has everything. since when is 6'0 too short to be a defenseman? Isnt PK Subban a good comparison to Dumba sizewise? The Isles lack D but they lack players that are aggressive as well. Isles need a gamechanging defenseman in the worst way. I would take this guy in a heartbeat.

What do you mean by drops? There are ups and downs throughout the season for all players. It's not like the kid is outside the top 10 or anything.

And there will be several NHL teams that have him as a lock as a top 5 player.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
This was a poor game for Dumba. Probably the worst performance I have seen of him this year, and Im a big fan.

It wasnt representative of his game day in and day out.

The thing is, poor game or not, it illustrated the inadequacies in Dumba's game. I didn't mean to compare him strictly to Phaneuf and his attitude, just that their defensive zone coverage has similar tendencies.

I'm also with the poster who said hockey sense can not be taught. Yes, positioning can be improved on, but the innate ability to read and react properly to a play is something that he lacks, can't be taught and is paramount to becoming a top end defender.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I just find it hard to believe the Dumba was rated so high and then all of the sudden drops. I dont buy it. I think the kid has everything. since when is 6'0 too short to be a defenseman? Isnt PK Subban a good comparison to Dumba sizewise?

In terms of height, yes.

Subban is built like a tank, especially his upper body. Dumba seems somewhat thin in his upper body. Dumba will need to put on a lot of upper body muscle to play like he does in the pros - or else he'll be injured constantly.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
So he let one guy slip by him. Trouba caused a goal. Jones gave up a brilliant scoring chance because his man slipped a check...I thought Dumba was solid defensively.

I feel like I'm crazy in thinking this.

msv957

Aug 3, 2005
Dumba is listed anywhere from 5'10 to 5'11 ranging from 165 lbs to 175 lbs. This is a small player. With the physical way he plays the game he wont last long in the NHL. Perhaps he may have a growth spurt and get to 6'0 190 lbs in the NHL. However, even at that size this is still small for an NHL defenseman. I cannot see a team taking this huge risk with Dumba's size in the top 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad