RD Jamie Drysdale (2020, 6th, ANA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think hes a couple inches taller? It' a terrible comparison because there games are night and day different. The only similarities I can see is they are good skaters (Drysdale is better) and were drafted by the ducks.

Schultz is a guy who brought offense, but left you wanting more (a lot more) defensively. Drysdale is a guy who is incredibly sound defensively and your hope is that he he can contribute consistently offensively because he has the tools and IQ to do it.
Really all the two have in common is they shoot right.

Oct 18, 2011
That's funny because I think Sanderson is far more risky, but what makes him appealing is the elite physical tools he has which Drysdale does not.

While Drysdale's ceiling is very high, I think his floor is uniquely high for a D+1 Dman. After watching every shift of his WJC and AHL debut I feel confident he could play in the NHL today and be a good third pairing D-Man (at a minimum). Obviously, I don't believe that is not what is best for his development, but my point is that his game is do far developed that I think he could be in an effective NHLer today.
Drysdale has elite physical tools, he's just not 6'5

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Can't say I agree with this.

I haven’t heard any Sens fans say they wish we got Drysdale instead. And We’d probably run a 1A/1B with Chabot and Sanderson. I bet JBD and Pinto talked up Sanderson and Kleven to Dorion. Mackinnion highly recommended the Avs draft Barron.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
That's funny because I think Sanderson is far more risky, but what makes him appealing is the elite physical tools he has which Drysdale does not.

While Drysdale's ceiling is very high, I think his floor is uniquely high for a D+1 Dman. After watching every shift of his WJC and AHL debut I feel confident he could play in the NHL today and be a good third pairing D-Man (at a minimum). Obviously, I don't believe that is not what is best for his development, but my point is that his game is do far developed that I think he could be in an effective NHLer today.

I don't think either are risky whatsoever. Both are among the safest D to be drafted in recent years. Would be shocked if they both didn't end up as good top 4 D at the very least.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I've never seen a prospect thread with so much talk about a different prospect. some people are so desperate to talk about their prospect, they have to come here because there is so little interest in theirs

Can't we make this thread about Drysdale? there is a lot of excitement about this kid.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I haven’t heard any Sens fans say they wish we got Drysdale instead. And We’d probably run a 1A/1B with Chabot and Sanderson. I bet JBD and Pinto talked up Sanderson and Kleven to Dorion. Mackinnion highly recommended the Avs draft Barron.

The sens have been using that US national program a fair bit the last couple years, I think they have developed a trust in what the coaches tell them
Plus Kleven is a monster with decent wheels someone was going to draft him in that second round

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Any defenseman that's around 5'11 doesn't have elite physical tools.

one_bourque05.jpg

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Any defenseman that's around 5'11 doesn't have elite physical tools.

And yet many (most) of the greatest all time are around 5'11:

• Bobby Orr
  • Ray Bourque
  • Paul Coffey
  • Denis Potvin
  • Doug Harvey
  • Eddie Shore
  • Chris Chelios
  • Phil Housley
  • Scott Niedermeyer
  • Brian Leetch
  • Erik Karlsson
  • Brad Park
In fact, very few of the greats when it comes to Defensemen are over 6'

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

• Bobby Orr
  • Ray Bourque
  • Paul Coffey
  • Denis Potvin
  • Doug Harvey
  • Eddie Shore
  • Chris Chelios
  • Phil Housley
  • Scott Niedermeyer
  • Brian Leetch
  • Erik Karlsson
  • Brad Park

I didn't say anything about his size being a limitation.

But when I think of elite physical tools I don't think of Erik Karlsson or Scott Niedermayer.

I think of Victor Hedman, Brent Burns, etc.... Size and speed, not just speed.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008

But when I think of elite physical tools I don't think of Erik Karlsson or Scott Niedermayer.

well then I guess we would have to say that having your definition of elite physical tools has little to no affect on a players ability to actually be an elite player.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

• Bobby Orr
  • Ray Bourque
  • Paul Coffey
  • Denis Potvin
  • Doug Harvey
  • Eddie Shore
  • Chris Chelios
  • Phil Housley
  • Scott Niedermeyer
  • Brian Leetch
  • Erik Karlsson
  • Brad Park

Pronger
Chara
Hedman
Robinson
Lidstrom
Blake
Burns
Also listed above 6’
Leetch
MacInnes
Giordano
Josi

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was probably higher on Drysdale than anyone. I had him higher at the draft than Byfield and Stuetzle. I didn't view it as particularly close either. I think he just had a lot less question marks than everyone aside from Lafreniere. I'm not sure I ever think he'll be a top 5-10 defensemen in the NHL because he probably does lack dynamic offensive or defensive ability, but I'd be really surprised if he's not a top 20-30 defensemen. His game is very projectable to the NHL between his skating, sense, playmaking, puck moving, and compete level. There is no real weakness in his game either. He's the same height as Makar and Fox, two guys whose below-average size does not impact their ability to be elite NHL'ers. I think he was a very safe pick. I really didn't see it as a defensible that five guys went before him.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Pronger
Chara
Hedman
Robinson
Lidstrom
Blake
Burns
Also listed above 6’
Leetch
MacInnes
Giordano
Josi

I feel like you made my point? That was the best list you could come up with and undoubtedly there are fantastic D-Men who are 6'1 or taller, but most of the all time greats are 5"11 - 6'

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I was probably higher on Drysdale than anyone. I had him higher at the draft than Byfield and Stuetzle. I didn't view it as particularly close either. I think he just had a lot less question marks than everyone aside from Lafreniere. I'm not sure I ever think he'll be a top 5-10 defensemen in the NHL because he probably does lack dynamic offensive or defensive ability, but I'd be really surprised if he's not a top 20-30 defensemen. His game is very projectable to the NHL between his skating, sense, playmaking, puck moving, and compete level. There is no real weakness in his game either. He's the same height as Makar and Fox, two guys whose below-average size does not impact their ability to be elite NHL'ers. I think he was a very safe pick. I really didn't see it as a defensible that five guys went before him.

This is exactly how I see it, but I would hold out hope that his offense can be a pleasant surprise (has been so far in AHL - I know there is a long way to go though).

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
So Erik Karlsson didn't have elite physical tools eh?

He has (well had) an elite physical tool (skating), but not elite physical tools (size and skating). Just like Drysdale.

Shouldn't be hard to understand the difference between tools (plural) and a tool (singular).

well then I guess we would have to say that having your definition of elite physical tools has little to no affect on a players ability to actually be an elite player.

Size is definitely not nearly as important to the success of a defenseman compared to hockey IQ, skill and skating, which Drysdale has in spades.

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
Will be in the same category as Dahlin, Makar, Hughes, Seider, and Heiskenen as the top D men for a long time. Probably 1-2 from the 2021 draft class will join too. I see Sanderson more as a solid two way #3-4. If Ottawa didn't have ties to ND, I wonder if they would've taken Drysdale.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
He has (well had) an elite physical tool (skating), but not elite physical tools (size and skating). Just like Drysdale.

Shouldn't be hard to understand the difference between tools (plural) and a tool (singular).

Size is definitely not nearly as important to the success of a defenseman compared to hockey IQ, skill and skating, which Drysdale has in spades.

I'm just not so sure that I agree that Physical Tools are limited to Size and Speed. What about agility, endurance, strength, flexibility, Balance, ect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino