RD Eemeli Räsänen - HPK Hämeenlinna, Liiga (2017, 59th, TOR)

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Mattinen he is doing ok, but not a serious threat. It is a good problem to have also looks like we are signing Ozhiganov from CSKA he is also right handed

Walshy7: Sir, I enjoy reading your posts.
Although, I do see the benefits of having RHDs, even more important is to have a good NHL Dmen, regardless of which side the play shoots from. Leafs seems to be building a base for both good RHDs and a good number of competent NHL Dmen.
I'm left scratching my head sometimes why I see proposed trades on this site, that seem so short sighted. Those trades are ones for short term gain, OEL, Doughty, soon to be UFAs and others for Nylander, Marner, Dermot and first rounders. I've waited since 1967, I can wait a few more years.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
From the dozen or so games ive seen this year his skating seems to have taken a good little step forward.
Not a big improvement on top end speed, but his edge work and his explosiveness is improved.
If he spends most of the summer working on lower body strength and explosive muscle development he could really become interesting.
At this point he probably has the strength to play in the NHL, but would get beat allot with small guys who have start-stop speed.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
From the dozen or so games ive seen this year his skating seems to have taken a good little step forward.
Not a big improvement on top end speed, but his edge work and his explosiveness is improved.
If he spends most of the summer working on lower body strength and explosive muscle development he could really become interesting.
At this point he probably has the strength to play in the NHL, but would get beat allot with small guys who have start-stop speed.
I think he is still a few years away from NHL. I don't think one summer could make such a difference.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Although, I do see the benefits of having RHDs, even more important is to have a good NHL Dmen, regardless of which side the play shoots from. Leafs seems to be building a base for both good RHDs and a good number of competent NHL Dmen.
I'm left scratching my head sometimes why I see proposed trades on this site, that seem so short sighted. Those trades are ones for short term gain, OEL, Doughty, soon to be UFAs and others for Nylander, Marner, Dermot and first rounders. I've waited since 1967, I can wait a few more years.
Same here, and i'm ready to replace that wonderful, though fading memory with a fresh one.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015

Completely agree. This whole notion that we have to rush things in order to win while the big three are still in their entry level deals is flawed. Yes, money is going to be tighter in a couple years when they all get paid, but you know what else will happen in a couple years? The big three will hit their primes giving us the best possible chance of winning. That's the time you trade away futures and go all in, not right now.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I think he is still a few years away from NHL. I don't think one summer could make such a difference.

No id agree he isnt one good summer away from being a top 4 d man obviously, more my comment meant that the thing holding himback the most from being a good NHLer is skating.

When your 6'7 in junior you can dominate as a D man purely because of size.
Hes got the nastiness, a pretty good shot, positionally never seen an issue, and from what I can tell he can think the game well enough.

Reactions: HockeyHistorian

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Love this prospect.
Expect him to put in at least two full years in the AHL before he gets a sniff at a bottom pair spot with the Leafs but as far as homerun swing picks, he's a beauty.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Love this prospect.
Expect him to put in at least two full years in the AHL before he gets a sniff at a bottom pair spot with the Leafs but as far as homerun swing picks, he's a beauty.

Rasanen is 18 yrs old and he isn't AHL eligible yet.
If he doesn't stay in Kingston next season Maple-Leafs can assign him to Finland and SM liiga.
Just like Canucks did Juolevi this autumn.

Reactions: LeafChief

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Rasanen is 18yrs old and he isn't AHL eligible yet.
If he doesn't stay in Kingston next season Maple-Leafs can assign him to SM liiga.

Does he look like he's too good for the OHL yet? It could be screwy adjusting to the smaller ice in Jr, then going to Finland with different ice and then back to smaller ice.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Got to watch Eemeli live for the first time, and he impressed. Made some really smart breakout passes and clearly likes joining the rush. He crushed a few guys and didn't back down at all when the game got scrappy after a huge (maybe high?) hit in the third. He also seems to have a knack at getting his shot through from the point in all situations, and he can walk the line with confidence to create angles.

Reactions: Scott Malkinson

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Does he look like he's too good for the OHL yet? It could be screwy adjusting to the smaller ice in Jr, then going to Finland with different ice and then back to smaller ice.

juolevi didnt look too good for the ohl before his move. Its a tradeoff i guess, OHL on NA ice against kids or Finland bigger ice against men

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
Got to watch Eemeli live for the first time, and he impressed. Made some really smart breakout passes and clearly likes joining the rush. He crushed a few guys and didn't back down at all when the game got scrappy after a huge (maybe high?) hit in the third. He also seems to have a knack at getting his shot through from the point in all situations, and he can walk the line with confidence to create angles.

Thanks for the update. It's encouraging to see. Perhaps still years away from seeing him with the Leafs, but we lack his type of d-man. We always wonder how guys like Parayko and Manson went so late. It would be nice if we could find one of our own.

Reactions: Keon1963

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Rasanen is 18 yrs old and he isn't AHL eligible yet.
If he doesn't stay in Kingston next season Maple-Leafs can assign him to Finland and SM liiga.
I meant that before he goes to the NHL he'll spend at least two years in the AHL...not the next two years.
Whether he plays as an overager or goes to Finland in the meantime, I don't know.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
For those that watch Frontenacs game or follow that team, anyone know how Rasanen has played or if he has progressed since December?

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Now that’s interesting. Is there an option for Liiga if KHL is too tough? He didn’t exactly light up juniors, so I’m not sure what to expect.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Can the Finnish posters let us know how he stacks up against what Jokerit already has on the blueline?
Hard to say. Juolevi was able to play top minutes in Liiga as a D+2 player, but Räsänen isn’t at that level and KHL is a better league. I don’t know Jokerit’s roster that well, but I can say that Kivistö, Lepistö, Lauridsen and Jensen are comfortably ahead on the depth chart, Lööv probably as well. He might be able to fight his way into that 6th defender spot. This seems like a strange move.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Can the Finnish posters let us know how he stacks up against what Jokerit already has on the blueline?
I bet he will split time between Jokerit and Kiekko-Vantaa, similar to what Juho Rautanen did these past 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad