RD Eemeli Räsänen - HPK Hämeenlinna, Liiga (2017, 59th, TOR)

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
After Samberg went early, Rasanen was the project, boom/bust type that I wanted. Surprised he dropped so far (equally surprised Lipanov dropped so far as well).

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Hopefully he can build on his offensive production from last year. Would be awesome to see him at around a point per game all year.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Hopefully he can build on his offensive production from last year. Would be awesome to see him at around a point per game all year.

Sure, it would be great to see him build on his offensive production.... but I'd be 10x more happy if he were to really improve on his skating... :nod:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Extremely interesting prospect. Very rare to see such size and offensive effectiveness. How has his skating looked like compared to last season?

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
Nice to see him get off to a good start. He is getting a lot of minutes which will only help him progress. Really hoping he continues his production to push for a spot at the world juniors.

Reactions: Ippenator

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
This guy impressed me daily, huge shot. He’s got the tools to be a Chara like force in the NHL.
This is exactly what I have been thinking about lately. Sure he has a very long way to become that kind of a player, but I do also see some serious potential for even something like that, if everything goes very well with his developing.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Definitely the Leafs most interesting prospect. He's huge, offensively gifted, physical etc but the skating is a long ways off. He's going to require a lot of seasoning.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I think I said this earlier... but I don't even care about the offensive output Rasenen provides this season... I want to see him improve on his skating... If his Skating comes, he'll be a top 4 NHL defensman.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
This guy impressed me daily, huge shot. He’s got the tools to be a Chara like force in the NHL.

Interesting how you compared him to Chara. Chara was a third round pick. Guess scouts were wondering if his skating was good enough also. And back what 20 years ago, Chara was giant among his peers in junior.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Nice to see him get off to a good start. He is getting a lot of minutes which will only help him progress. Really hoping he continues his production to push for a spot at the world juniors.

Rasanen is right now probably 8th or 9th in Finland's defence depth chart.
Which means he's battling of 7th defenceman's spot with Niemelainen, Kotkansalo, Almari, and Reunanen.

So it wouldn't be surprise if he doesn't make in the team this year.
Finland's D will be really good and the competition of roster spots will be tough and hard so let's see.

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Rasanen is right now probably 8th or 9th in Finland's defence depth chart.
Which means he's battling of 7th defenceman's spot with Niemelainen, Kotkansalo, Almari, and Reunanen.

So it wouldn't be surprise if he doesn't make in the team this year.
Finland's D will be really good and the competition of roster spots will be tough and hard so let's see.
If he continues his season how he has started it, I see absolutely no possibility of those players to be ahead of him in the order. Top six might be kind of a reach, but I wouldn’t even totally count out his chances to get even there if he really continues his season this way.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Straight ahead speed, IMO, isn't an issue with Rasanen. His issues are more in terms of agility - side to side, pivoting from backward to forward, etc.

He's looked real good early on this season.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Interesting how you compared him to Chara. Chara was a third round pick. Guess scouts were wondering if his skating was good enough also. And back what 20 years ago, Chara was giant among his peers in junior.
Yeah man, with the big guys, they have the physical aspect of course, the shot comes naturally with power, and most of the defensive and finesse aspects come after years of playing, but the big one is the skating and how well they can adjust and learn. Chara was also a little worrisome with skating but he figured it out very quickly. If Rasanen can do that, he’ll be a force because he seems to be growing his offensive skills very well, and that shot is just getting better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad