RD Eemeli Räsänen - HPK Hämeenlinna, Liiga (2017, 59th, TOR)

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Massive Dman with a huge shot and is producing very well

No way he goes later than the 2nd if stanley went 1st round

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
D Eemeli Rasanen Kingston Frontenacs (2017 draft eligible)

Haven't heard much of anything on the guy. He's a 6'6 or 6'7 defensemen just turned 18 earlier this month and put up 39 points in 66GP. I obviously don''t want to get ahead of myself but this guy seems like he could be that mid round Colton Parayko esque type of boom or bust potential. Saw a couple videos, he doesn't look stiff like a lot of those big guys do and has a cannon of a slapper.

Wondering if anybody has seen him play full games and can comment on his d-zone play, stick detail and puck moving ability.

I did notice in the youtube videos i saw he doesn't walk in and manipulate space, he just kind of lets her rip from the blue line lol. tho i do like that he has his head up with the puck when he walks the line and shoots.

hockeyfan4

Mar 28, 2017
If anyone has seen his play in the playoffs, as I have, he is playing horribly! He constantly makes mistakes on his own end, slow, slow skater, slow mobility and ability to change positions, and many times he does not even attempt to get back to the puck, but relies on his other d-man to get the puck, has been horrible on the powerplay, and the opposing team seems to know to clear the puck on his side, because chances are it will go right past him. For his size he certainly can be passed and is too soft with not using his size regularly. Overall I find that he does not play with the wanting to win attitude! I have been very disappointed with his play lately. If he goes in the first two or three rounds that is very sad because it would be only for his size, not for his skill. He needs a ton of work to play in the NHL, and I don't get the impression that he is very motivated to put in the work that is needed to get there! VERY DISAPPOINTING!!

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
The guy is huge and seems to have some coordination issues. Nothing major, I just think that he hasn't yet accustomed to his body.

I'd definitely take a flyer at him in the later rounds. Too much of a boom/bust prospect to use more than a 4th round pick on IMO, but seriously worth a shot. Even if his skating won't become good he can be very useful in cleaning the trash away from the crease. If he can learn how to give a good first pass, there's nothing wrong with him being a solid stay-at-home #4-#6 Dman. He doesn't have to be a Byfuglien offensively.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
The guy is huge and seems to have some coordination issues. Nothing major, I just think that he hasn't yet accustomed to his body.

I'd definitely take a flyer at him in the later rounds. Too much of a boom/bust prospect to use more than a 4th round pick on IMO, but seriously worth a shot. Even if his skating won't become good he can be very useful in cleaning the trash away from the crease. If he can learn how to give a good first pass, there's nothing wrong with him being a solid stay-at-home #4-#6 Dman. He doesn't have to be a Byfuglien offensively.

This has been one of his biggest issues I've noticed at the U18s. He played some terrible outlet passes that shouldn't have been difficult to execute (e.g. simple strong-side board passes). His skating is a major concern; it might improve with time, but his speed and transitions really worry me right now. He can make up for a lot with his outstanding reach, like when he's way too slow backwards but attackers still get stopped because he can reach 50 feet with his stick (exaggerated).

He has an excellent shot and his size and stick work are intriguing, but I wouldn't touch him in the top 100.

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
Interesting player. He sounds like a work in progress, but you cant complain about a 6'7 right shot with some offensive potential.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Fine with the gamble. Needs to fix his skating, which is usually a issue with giants. He's not a plug who can't get points at the CHL level, which is good. I have very little faith in defenders who can't beat .5ppg in the CHL in their draft year.

Don't see a massive gap between him and Hague. Hague's edge would be physicality.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
To me he always looked lost and behind the play at the u18's. Was he better in the OHL?

He wasn't great at the u18's. He started off the year in Kingston pretty bad, but got a lot better later on near the new year. His consistency could use some work from what I've seen/heard. He can be dominant but he can also have some bad showings.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
This is one of those guys i will keep tabs on, but not expecting much until 3 years down the line, we will see if he improved his skating/mobility, strength and apparently decision making/passing from reading this thread.

He put up decent points for an OHL rookie defenseman from Europe. Has potential.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
To me he always looked lost and behind the play at the u18's. Was he better in the OHL?

I don't know how Rasanen did and looked in Kingston because i didn't see his OHL games.
Finnish sport channels not send live broadcasts of north american CHL hockey in Finland.

In U18 WJC's Rasanen looked lost and out of place with his positioning sometimes.
Rasanen isn't yet 120 percent fine and OK with his big body that's why he looks soft for a player of his size and he's clumsy skater

Last edited:

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I followed him a bit when I lived in Kingston last year. Basically it was easy to understand why he went from a first rounder to second, and all the cliches are true about having the tools but not having the toolbox.

He was up and down during the regular season, and was (IMO) putrid in the playoffs. You'd get high on him and he would bring your opinion of him crashing down the very next game. He really was all over the place.

I like him as a second rounder because the tools are so enticing, but he's really a boom/bust type. He could be a player or he could never even sniff the NHL.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
I followed him a bit when I lived in Kingston last year. Basically it was easy to understand why he went from a first rounder to second, and all the cliches are true about having the tools but not having the toolbox.

He was up and down during the regular season, and was (IMO) putrid in the playoffs. You'd get high on him and he would bring your opinion of him crashing down the very next game. He really was all over the place.

I like him as a second rounder because the tools are so enticing, but he's really a boom/bust type. He could be a player or he could never even sniff the NHL.

Last year as in early on in the season? He was quite bad for the first two months and wildly inconsistent during that time, but as the season wore on, he cleaned up his game a ton imo, and those bad games were showing way less frequently than they were earlier on in the season.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Last year as in early on in the season? He was quite bad for the first two months and wildly inconsistent during that time, but as the season wore on, he cleaned up his game a ton imo, and those bad games were showing way less frequently than they were earlier on in the season.

He seemed to get better as the year went on, but then, as I said, he was a complete trainwreck in the playoffs. So I didn't know what to think.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Gives me a bit of a Cody Franson vibe. Nice offensive skillset, but his skating needs work (mainly his pivots and lateral movement) and he's still a work in progress in the defensive end.

With his size, you'd also like him to be a bit more aggressive.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

I think the odds of getting a player who can stick with your team in a role that provides value above an easily replaceable waiver or cheap ufa pick-up in the 56-60 range is like 14%, so I'm perfectly fine with the gamble. Anyone in that range is going to be a long-shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad