GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
10 cruiserweights should mean three segments per show

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I don't know if there's any substance to it but I would read Vince is considering putting some cruiserweights on Smackdown because he wants an even number of titles on each show.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
but didn't they announce that the cruiserweights were "exclusive to RAW"? which is why we thought they'd put all the women on smackdown

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
The plan was for the cruiserweight guys to work both NXT and Raw TV, along with some in the Performance Centre. So they'll not all be on TV every week, but be rotated as needed. They'll also be working both NXT and main roster (Raw) house shows.

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up having a match travel with the Smackdown shows too (even it they're not on TV), as it's an easy thing to do and it gives them another match with the shallower roster.

Last edited:

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
but didn't they announce that the cruiserweights were "exclusive to RAW"? which is why we thought they'd put all the women on smackdown

We all know Vince and how he operates.

The plan was for the cruiserweight guys to work both NXT and Raw TV, along with some in the Performance Centre. So they'll not all be on TV every week, but be rotated as needed. They'll also be working both NXT and main roster house shows.

I read/heard that the implication was that "there was no room" for them on the house shows so they'd be working NXT and just doing Raw TV.

I can't remember if it was Meltzer & Alvarez talking about it when it first came to light a bit after the draft or if it was Wade Keller on Austin's podcast at some point.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
We all know Vince and how he operates.

I read/heard that the implication was that "there was no room" for them on the house shows so they'd be working NXT and just doing Raw TV.

I can't remember if it was Meltzer & Alvarez talking about it when it first came to light a bit after the draft or if it was Wade Keller on Austin's podcast at some point.
Well there isn't room on the card for 10 extra guys to be on house shows anyway, so they'd have to send them somewhere else.

But I can't see them not being on the main roster shows. It makes too much sense to have their featured cruiserweight match (probably the title program) to be on the shows at least. Especially as these guys are going to get over if they're just given free reign to be awesome.

But I've not listened to Meltzer's show from last night yet, he'll probably have something to say about it all.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
It would have been smart to have an all cruiserweight division and title on one show, and an all womens divisions and title on the other show IMO.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
i stand corrected... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually happens, maybe within a year or so, and Smackdown gets veterans like Kendrick & Tajiri as well as other smaller name guys to fill out the SD side of the division with the veterans also working house shows for them since they have a considerably smaller roster.

I mean, it's stupid to spread another division so thin like they did the women, but they probably have more ~205 guys in the company anyways that they can do it.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
But then you don't have women's matches on both shows, and they want them on both shows for obvious reasons.

I guess I am ignorant, what would the obvious reasons be, eye candy? You have Maryse, you don't need any more than that. #problemsolved.

But in seriousness, add more valet's and manager's, it should be done anyway.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I guess I am ignorant, what would the obvious reasons be, eye candy? You have Maryse, you don't need any more than that. #problemsolved.

But in seriousness, add more valet's and manager's, it should be done anyway.
It's all to do with the concept of "what a WWE wrestling show is".

A WWE wrestling show will (usually) have a women's match, a tag match, a gimmick match, a 'giant' match, a title match. This is what you get when you buy a ticket to a WWE (house) show, and they're going to deliver it. Similar logic applies to the TV shows.

The women can attract a difference audience than the men do. There are a lot of young girls who see the likes of Bayley and Becky become massive fans because of them. That roll can't be filled by a male wrestler, it's just impossible. And you want that to happen on both of your shows, as well as make sure you don't disappoint fans when they go to a house show that is from the non-women show.

The quality of the division is very much a secondary concern, so they're on both shows.

Eye candy is also a reason, but like you say, you can solve that with characters like Lana or Maryse easily. Back in the day, this would be fine, but it's a very different WWE now. They want to attract new fans with their female wrestlers, not just give fan service to teenagers who don't have an internet connection like was the case in the 90s.

You also have to remember that WWE are a very quoter based company. They actively make sure they have have representation of everything. They always X many black people, X many Mexicans, X many Women and so on. Like that's the entire reason you have Saxton and Otunga on commentary, they're terrible but fill their quoters, it's not like the WWE think their good or anything.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The solution to the title imbalance is either to remove the US Title or to add a title to Smackdown and I wouldn't do cruiserweights if it's option B. I'd bring back the Hardcore Title and just have fun with it even if the matches can't be as violent as the name suggests. Reinstate the 24/7 rule and let it be a comedy gimmick again.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
if RAW is adding 10 cruiserweights, that should definitely mean a few ppl should get moved to smackdown to showcase them...smackdown will be getting stale soon with the few ppl they have to match up to each other...

We are already seeing it stretched to its limits.

They don't have many unique match ups to go to and adding one or two NXT guys doesn't fix it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
NXT Tapings tonight. Biggest thing thus far is the start of the tag team tournament. Perfectly Glorious is a thing. Finals will be in Toronto.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I was wondering how they would even put a tournament together, but I guess all these CWC guys can fill those holes

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I was wondering how they would even put a tournament together, but I guess all these CWC guys can fill those holes

Wonder if we'll get:

Nakamura vs. Joe II
DIY vs. Revival II
Roode-Aries vs. two CWC guys (Dar & Alexander?)

The first two matches wouldn't be surprising considering NXT is really lazy and stretches rematches out over a ridiculous time span.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Someone will summarize, but I'm going to banter here.

Should be noted that Peyton Royce was accompanied by Billie Kay (who went over Mandy earlier). Wonder if we're getting BFF's 2.0 Australian-Style.

Also one of the angles going on is that Joe is blowing up a bunch of matches unless Regal strips Nakamura for the title. Nakamura hasn't been seen yet here, which means it's going to be around a month before he's even seen again on TV.

Revival vs. ACA and Cedric is going on right now.

Someone said Patrick Clark looks like Rick James. Rich Swann went over.

After Liv Morgan called out Asuka last week, sounds like Asuka buried her as a result. That was near the beginning of the show. Liv Morgan was sort of at the top of the heap, so I don't know where that goes.

ACA now turns heel on Cedric.

Hahaha, the writers of NXT must have been reading our threads. Sanity has been revealed as Sawyer Fulton, Alexander Wolfe and two others turning heel and joining a stable! Two are in a match against Roode and Dillinger. Dillinger jobbed and sounds like Bobby Roode walked out on him. I mentioned somewhere on here that I thought Roode and Dillinger would be a match at Toronto, guessing that it will be.

Holy **** Eric Young is the leader!

Nikki Storm is the 4th member.

Yo.

Billie Kay went over Liv with help from Peyton Royce.

Blake and Murphy finally fought each other, but Joe blew up the match. Nakamura showed up and beat up Joe to end the show.

Gargano, Ciampa, No Way Jose, and Daria did not appear.

My guess for the card in Toronto:
Nakamura vs. Joe 2 - NXT Championship
Gargano/Ciampa vs. Revival 2 - NXT Tag team Championship
Asuka vs. Billie Kay w/ Peyton Royce - NXT Women's Championship (unless they sign someone, sure looks like Billie Kay is the #1 woman heel right now)
TM61 vs. Authors of Pain - Final of Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Championship
Hideo Itami vs. Austin Aries - Singles Match
Bobby Roode vs. Tye Dillinger - Singles Match

Next taping is October 13

Last edited:

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I ****ing knew Eric Young was going to be a part of the Sanity thing, but I thought it was FOR him and not a stable that he would lead. I know negotiations were going on at the time the promo first aired at Takeover: Brooklyn and he signed a deal this week.

Roode vs. Dillinger will be nice but Dillinger is probably going to do the job. Nice to see him working with someone a bit higher on the totem pole, though.

Almas turning heel is great considering he needed it bad but if what ADR said is true I'd be surprised if Almas is still with the company within a year.

I also knew NXT would ****ing streeeeeeeeetch this Nakamura vs. Joe II thing. It's NXT-typical at this point. They stretched Joe vs. Balor across 4 matches from November - June or July and now they're stretching out this Nakamura vs. Joe thing.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Fresh off stretcher jobbing Nakamura, Joe threatens to injury the rest of the roster until Regal strips Nakamura of the title.

Austin Aries calls out Itami.

Dusty Tag Classic is back. Perfectly Glorious featuring Roode and Dillenger enter. Regal announces the Finals will be at the Toronto Takeover.

First tournament match was going to be Revival vs Early Brothers, but never happened because Joe came out and destroyed the Early Brothers.

Asuka beats Liv Morgan quickly and cuts a promo saying no one is ready to face her.

Authors of Pain (Akam & Rezar) def. Bollywood Boyz (Gurv & Harv Sihra) in a 2016 Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic first round match.

Peyton Royce def. Danielle Kamela. Peyton was managed by Billie Kay

Dan Matha comes out for a match and Joe destroys him, as promised. Notice a trend?

The Revival (Dash Wilder & Scott Dawson) def. Andrade “Cien” Almas & Cedric Alexander in a 2016 Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic first round match. Andrade turned on Cedric and beat him down after.

Sanity (Alexander Wolfe & Sawyer Fulton) def. Perfectly Glorious (Bobby Roode & Tye Dillinger) in a 2016 Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic first round match after Bobby Roode takes a walk and leaves Dillinger hanging. Wolfe & Fulton are accompanied by Eric Young, their leader, and Nikki Storm.

Billie Kay def. Liv Morgan with a little bit of help from Peyton Royce. I guess one of them gets destroyed by Asuka.

TM-61 (Nick Miller & Shane Thorne) def. Riddick Moss & Tino Sabbatelli in a 2016 Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic first round match.

Buddy Murphy vs. Wesley Blake goes to double DQ when Joe runs in and destroys both of them. He’s had enough, and he’s shutting the show down until he gets what he wants.

Show ends with Nakamura out in a neck brace to respond to Joe and they brawl with Nakamura standing tall and that is the end of the tapings.

So your Takeover card as of right now.

Joe/Nakamura II
Dusty Tag Final
Austin Aries vs Itami

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad