Rate the Bruins trade deadline

Your grade...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
You did see that. In 2011.

I think it’s unfair to declare this nothing but “drama.” Sweeney is doing precisely what Chiarelli did on his way out the door. It’s only a matter of how long it will be tolerated.
The B's did not land a big fish in 2011.
Peverly, Kaberle, the 3rd player eludes me, but pretty sure none of them were big fish.
They were complementary pieces.
That said, I don't think filling the 2nd line RW had to have been a big fish, and think Sweeney should have
filled that rather than what he did.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
The deals he did make were very good. Dumping most of Backes and getting a good, cost controlled young winger is about as good as you can expect. I like Heinen for Backes.

My issue is just that the whole move is "it will be great if...". IF Kase is healthy and IF he can produce like a second line winger. Our core is too old for ifs. This was the year to suck it up and bring in a legit, for sure winger for Krejci. Loui has been gone 4 years. The fact we have had this huge hole in our lineup for so long and it's not guaranteed to be filled down the stretch is disappointing.

We weren't good enough to win last year. I don't see anything today that makes us better.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Peverly, Kaberle, the 3rd player eludes me, but pretty sure none of them were big fish.
That said, I don't think filling the 2nd line RW had to have been a big fish, and think Sweeney should have

Chris Kelly. Kaberle was considered a pretty good sized fish because he filled the most glaring hole that team had which was a puck mover and PP quarterback.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Chris Kelly. Kaberle was considered a pretty good sized fish because he filled the most glaring hole that team had which was a puck mover and PP quarterback.

Also one of the few guys who moved that deadline that involved a 1st round pick. Him and Penner to LA were in 2011 the two biggest deadline deals where a team sold an established player for futures.

StrBender

Mar 7, 2005
North Shore, MA
I feel they did well with what was available and not giving a lot away for a rental. Who knows, maybe Ritchie takes note about how he could end playing with his brother if he doesn't give 100%. It could be a reality check for him.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
I gave it a C+ just because he got rid of Backes contract. Sucks that it took a first rounder to do so, but that and the $$$ they saved on the Heinen/Ritchie swap should help with retaining Krug. It also sucks that the shit sandwich that was Backes contract basically prevented them from landing a player like Palmieri (and probably prevented them from winning the cup last year too), but they weren't going to give up a first rounder in two consecutive years. So they had to pick one, and that was to dump Backes.

I’m not sure it’s fair to say it cost a 1st to move Backes. Some of that value surely went into acquiring Kaše who was not moving for AA alone.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

they also didnt need 1.5 2nd line wingers in 2011...

Horton - Krejci - Lucic
Marchand - Bergeron - Recchi

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

And there was talk we offered Kessel and a pick for him the summer prior or something ridiculous. He wasn’t having a monster season in Toronto but he was a big add.

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
I agree with most about this deadline. Better players, cheaper, cap savings, have term etc but the main thing I see is that they wanted to keep the chemistry going in that room which adding a bunch of players can disrupt.
Richie will be loved as they need a bodyguard not a vegan Chara doing the fighting. He also has his brother in the organization.
Kase is known to Krejci, Pasta and Lauko.
Not to mention getting teammates to help adjust on a new team.

I'm sure Heinen was liked and they all knew Backes was one foot out the door. Easy to be an armchair GM but thinking that they missed the boat is ridiculous. Backes was Sweeney's problem and he corrected it. Sneaky good moves if they pan out.
Kreider, palmeri etc weren't traded. I like Coleman and a few others but huge payments.
I give them an A without seeing them play yet. My option of watching Heinen... booooring!! Change him with a big dude that can fight. Sign me up!
Lucic vs Richie?!!

Reactions: kthx

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Let me see

picked up 2 intriguing 24 year old forwards who’s floors are third line and have 2 more years control

moved 75% of David Backes seemingly immovable contract

for

a good RHD a few years away

Danton Heinen

a late 1 in a so so draft (half the projected top 18 picks missed last years draft by 2 months and only one USA NTDP projected in first round last year had 8)

B+ could be A+

Reactions: TobanWest

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I’m not sure it’s fair to say it cost a 1st to move Backes. Some of that value surely went into acquiring Kaše who was not moving for AA alone.

You take the money aspect out of that deal, and I'd be hard pressed to believe it would have had to include a first round pick to get it done. Kase has had a long history of injuries and cannot seem to stay healthy.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Couldn’t you argue he does have confidence in that he didn’t feel he needed to change it much?

I’ll admit I wanted more too and it seemed the year to get it, but failing adding Palmieri (which is the only option I liked), he did about as well as he could. Love that Backes is gone, like the potential of Kase, and like the added toughness from Heinen move. And it’s not crucial this morning, but cap space that allows us to sign Krug gives us a kick at the can again next year that might have been more difficult to ensure in the offseason.

I get being disappointed that again Krejci didn’t get his winger and that might kill us, but Kase at least has a shot of being that guy. And as it stands today, the team is humming along pretty well as is.
Nope. Couldn’t argue that. By all accounts, he tried and failed to fill the hole.

I agree that Kase MAY be that guy. And I’m cheering for him to be so. He certainly has the right skillset. But there’s no excuse to be crossing fingers.

Mr. Make-Believe

You’re wrong about the big fish in 2011. You remember Kaberle as he was in Boston, not as he was regarded before his time here. He was a top five transition offensive defenceman in the NHL. For years.

That’s why the cost was so high (a first, a second and a former first).

But I agree a second line winger shouldn’t have been considered an impossible task. Wasn’t expecting a superstar. Just wanted a guy who could contribute on the second line. There were a few who changed hands.

Reactions: NoregreB

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Plenty of room to sign Krug and RFAs in the off season, and they did make the team better without giving up much(Kase's health is the key here, Pasta like skill set). How many picks in the bottom of the 1st round make you live to regret not being there to pick them. Getting rid of Backes' $$$ was huge.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
You take the money aspect out of that deal, and I'd be hard pressed to believe it would have had to include a first round pick to get it done. Kase has had a long history of injuries and cannot seem to stay healthy.
He recently turned 24 can’t be that long unless my definition of long is different from yours

where you measure from Lonnie

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
He recently turned 24 can’t be that long unless my definition of long is different from yours

where you measure from Lonnie

And yet in that short career, he's missed significant time every season.

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/ondrej-kase-player-injuries

Can he overcome this history? Sure, he's young. Does it bode well that he's already got durability questions around his game? Not so much. But again, plenty of time to overcome these.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Plenty of room to sign Krug and RFAs in the off season, and they did make the team better without giving up much(Kase's health is the key here, Pasta like skill set). How many picks in the bottom of the 1st round make you live to regret not being there to pick them. Getting rid of Backes' $$$ was huge.

they didnt use the cap space this year, and they only save 2.5 million trading him instead for buying him out from what I understood. Is 2.5 million of savings for 1 year worth a 1st round pick

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
What do you think it would have cost for Kase alone?

Probably AA (or another high prospect) and a second would be my guess. The first was in play to entice ANA to eat 75% of the shit sandwich that is Backes' contract.

As for Kase, he has injury concerns, which is why I'm sure Anaheim was okay with moving him, despite him being young and showing some promise. The book is that he's fast and has skill, but can't stay healthy. Maybe the change of scenery helps him overcome that, but it's still a risk.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
they didnt use the cap space this year, and they only save 2.5 million trading him instead for buying him out from what I understood. Is 2.5 million of savings for 1 year worth a 1st round pick

Exactly. The Backes cash savings is for next season, not now since he wasn't counting on their cap while technically being in the AHL.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
It's been tough sledding in Anaheim for the past two seasons due to injuries and implosion so don't look too far into their players stats.
Kase is a really good player. He's just been injured too frequently.
N. Ritchie will need to smarten up a bit. Bring some sandpaper but try to stay out of the box. Want to see him and Coyle cycle the puck one shift
Both have potential. - and played together quite a bit on The Ducks as one of their few bright spots so we'll see if they play on the same line in Boston. ?
Bruins never really had that much to fix this TDL - upgrades to the middle 6 which I think they did.

Clears up a bit of money with Backes and gives him a chance to finish his career. Gives Heinen a change of scenery which I think he needed. Lose the 1st but that's not the end of the world.

All in all I'm fine with the deadline. There wasn't really anyone I was clamouring for. Thought they might take a flyer on Kovalchuk but was pretty ambivalent about that. Thought the price for Kreider or Palmieri would be silly high.

Mr. Make-Believe

Less than $1M is what they saved. Backes was waived and we retained salary. Would have saved the same amount buying him out... At least for this year.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Let me see

picked up 2 intriguing 24 year old forwards who’s floors are third line and have 2 more years control

moved 75% of David Backes seemingly immovable contract

for

a good RHD a few years away

Danton Heinen

a late 1 in a so so draft (half the projected top 18 picks missed last years draft by 2 months and only one USA NTDP projected in first round last year had 8)

B+ could be A+

So DKH, if you were judging his trade deadline by whether or not he potentially "returned" more than he gave up, and whether or not the organization as whole may have taken a step forward vs. backward or standing still, I'd agree it was a positive deadline.

However, if the goal instead is to give this team, this year, the best chance to win a Cup with aging pieces in key places, then I don't think the result is so positive. This simply comes down to identifying the goalposts. Is his job simply to improve the organization overall for the "future", or does he also have other agendas, potentially competing ones? Like say, maximize the window of guys like Bergeron, Krejci, Rask?

Reactions: BruinsFanMike82

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
So DKH, if you were judging his trade deadline by whether or not he potentially "returned" more than he gave up, and whether or not the organization as whole may have taken a step forward vs. backward or standing still, I'd agree it was a positive deadline.

However, if the goal instead is to give this team, this year, the best chance to win a Cup with aging pieces in key places, then I don't think the result is so positive. This simply comes down to identifying the goalposts. Is his job simply to improve the organization overall for the "future", or does he also have other agendas, potentially competing ones? Like say, maximize the window of guys like Bergeron, Krejci, Rask?
I think he did well

go back October and read my posts on both Kase & Ritchie how I would have gone after both - and Rackel made three

these are two guys I wanted 4 months ago

I was complaining all along we got the wrong Ritchie

this is gold to me this was like the Jeanie heard me

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad