Your grade...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
My thoughts on the TDL moves:

Happy with the Kase trade. Bs got speed, skill and scoring ability while shedding cap. This gives Sweeney the leverage to re-sign Krug, thus solidifying the D into the future.

While Ritchie may not have been my first choice he is a serviceable wing who could flourish in a new environment. He also carries the thump that has been missing in the forward corps.

Heinen is an NHL regular who brings some good passing and playmaking to the team, but was disappointing in other offensive areas. He’s a good teammate and well liked in the clubhouse. I hope this change of scenery brings out the best in him and he enjoys a long career.

Reactions: Blowfish

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I'm almost certain that if he plays next year he won't be a UFA at the time of the expansion draft. Contracts don't expire until June 30th and the expansion draft will take place before that. If he has a NMC (which he would if he plays), then he'd either need to waive it or be protected if he planned on playing the following season.

If i am Bruins GM I am talking to Seattle GM before making any decisions with Chara.If they would take a pick to look away from players I want to keep no problem.But if not then no way I am keeping an old d man at risk of losing Lauzon or Grizz.

Reactions: Dr Hook

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
You still holding onto the Senyshyn is gonna make a difffrence here feeling?Give you this, your no quitter.

You never know...lol...I just tossed his name in there. He did look decent during his short stint with the big club earlier this year. He is a long-shot at this point no doubt.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I'm almost certain that if he plays next year he won't be a UFA at the time of the expansion draft. Contracts don't expire until June 30th and the expansion draft will take place before that. If he has a NMC (which he would if he plays), then he'd either need to waive it or be protected if he planned on playing the following season.

If he signs a 1yr deal he'd be a UFA on July 1st. You dont need to protect him because SEA isnt going to waste a pick to select a guy whose going to be a UFA. A NMC I believe only matters if the player has term.

Bruin

Apr 19, 2018
Alaska
Solid B, Bruins added some toughness and could possibly have a very good 2nd liner for Krejci, time will tell.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
we can all be wishful that we should have got connor McDavid... or freak out that we dealt away a binkie... but breaking it down to reality we can see It more clear if we apply a little bit of common sense

when it comes right down to it we made 2 deals with the SAME team. 4 assets went out and 2 came in. you might think the second deal was related to the first deal and just combind them

was kase picked up for heienen and andersson… and if so how does that make us feel? we move a left hand we are overloaded with for a right hand we have a need for. we move a defensive minded vanilla player that can be replaced easily with Bjork at a much cheaper cost for an offensive minded player we dont have in house.

is andersson a likely player to ever play above bottom pair in the nhl? is he projecting to be much better than connor Clifton? or grzelyck? how many small 3rd pair skating dmen do we have room for?

say what you want about kase's medical history but we really didnt give up a ton for him and he is a much better fit on our team going forward. this wasnt a rental. this was a hockey trade that attempts to plug a hole for the next many years.

then that leaves...
backes and a first for nick ritchie

considering most of you felt backes would cost a first to be rid of his contact and wed get NOTHING back at all... Ritchie is pretty much a freebie to us. we got ritche for agreeing to take back 1.5 mill of backes salary/caphit.

weve been freaking out for over a year now how we got pushed around in a few games... how Washington runs us without accountability. how there is NO ONE to fight.

ladies and gentleman I introduce to you your new Boston Bruins the next few years... please meet Nick Ritchie our 3rd line LW, Trent Federic our 4th line center, and Jeremy Lauzon our 3rd pair dman

we wont be a push over team with no one capable of handling a fight. Ritchie wont have to do it all by himself but having an older more experienced guy will take some of the pressure off the 2 kids to get things going.

this wasnt a rental trade either. nick Ritchie and ondrej kase are both going to be bruins for quite some time and they address the 2 biggest needs we complained about for the past couple years.

Sweeney was pretty much always going to be stuck dealing a first to free the cap room we needed... so we can pretty much say the deadline deals were in truth

heinen for kase
and
andersson for ritchie

after we let Nordstrom walk as an ufa we have an effect of 2 new roster players for 2 old roster players
kase and Ritchie playing instead of Heinen and Nordstrom next year...
at a neutral cap hit
and that will free up a much needed 4.5 mill backes relief to get krug and/or debrusk resigned

its a very good asset/cap/roster move{s} by Sweeney and his team

DaStinger

Permanent Interim
Feb 14, 2007
NB, Canada
Solid B from me. Most importantly got rid of the Backes contract whilst still getting a decent player in return. The Heinen for Ritchie deal is of little impact imo.

bruinsfan

Aug 2, 2005
So is it safe to say Sweeney saw the corona virus coming which would explain why he didn't go out and get an effective 2nd line RW and saved cap space for next year

Reactions: Krupp

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
So is it safe to say Sweeney saw the corona virus coming which would explain why he didn't go out and get an effective 2nd line RW and saved cap space for next year
I can see a situation where the Bruins get a compensatory 1st round pick out of this. You can't undo trades, but you can give compensatory selections if needed, and teams mortgaging picks to improve Cup chances should be something to consider for that, even if Kase wasn't a rental. There were 10 1st round picks that were traded so I wonder if there's a scenario where the Bruins give their 31st pick to Anaheim but get back the 41st pick in an extended 1st round. So it could look like:

Backes (25% retained)
31st overall pick 2020

for

Kase
41st overall pick 2020 (compensatory selection)

HeartsAlive

Apr 11, 2013
Maybe they do what they did for the lockout season and do a snake style first 2 rounds? Only if there is no actual playoff/cup. Boston still loses it's first, but their second pick becomes #32?

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006
Do bruins make a push for Hall? This offseason ? He hasn’t been all that productive in Arizona. Maybe a little cheaper.

I think they will be in on Hall for sure. He's the type of player that the fanbase would love, and he fills a need. Also his price should be reasonable after the last few seasons. Only thing that might derail it is if there is another team who is willing to overpay and drive him out of the Bruins' budget. I for one would love to see him in Boston, assuming the price isn't insane.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
No, I don't think that's safe to say. That sounds more like trying to justify his failure.

He was after all, heavily pursuing Palmieri, among others.

they say we made a legitimate offer on palmieri… I suppose that means jersey listened and didnt hang up. palmieri didnt get traded. maybe Sweeney offered pastrnak and McAvoy for him... but if they werent trading him how do we know what was offered?

maybe the asking price was 27 first round picks? was the failure not getting him at that price?

they said we were in on krieder… I can see it. perhaps we were... makes sense. rangers resigned him. were they going to trade him for anything reasonable?

remember... no gm ever says im looking at these specific players for my guy {cause thats tampering... and very heavily punished}

so you can just accept at face value all the insider rumors that this was the price for that... and this was our offer for that and this...

but of course, when real trades get finalized the insiders never had the details right. none of our insiders had the price for kase correct. there was no rumors ever that we were shopping andersson. I think most insiders were saying our first rounder wasnt at play...

I know I said several times we should shop Heinen... but im no insider. did any insider tell us that Heinen was being shopped?

we always do this every year... the trades happen and we realize the insiders didnt know 1/2 of them... never heard a peep... and then we still stick to this religion that somehow if some insider leaked something to us as a rumor than its gospel.

ive been going through the process of playing in a sim league with some pretty serious people. they take being a fake gm serious. so I have an idea now how many trade discusions are almost there... almost there... almost there... then suddenly the other side is asking for something insane

you thought you had a deal...but nope

thats the thing... we can all think we know what a reasonable deal is... but theres always the other side. and negotiations start between 2 gms but then you get owners involved... scouts... assistants... and theres a whole tribe of decesion makers weighing in before you know it.

Sweeney improved our team addressing 2 areas of weakness and dealing away from 2 areas of strength. he got players that were signed for next year too. he fixed cap issues

he did great

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
they say we made a legitimate offer on palmieri… I suppose that means jersey listened and didnt hang up. palmieri didnt get traded. maybe Sweeney offered pastrnak and McAvoy for him... but if they werent trading him how do we know what was offered?

It doesn't matter what was offered. Bruinsfan said Sweeney played it safe because he knew the league would be shut down. I am saying that because we know he tried to trade for Palmieri that's not the case. It doesn't matter what the asking price was or even that a deal got done. Sweeney's intent shows he wasn't operating like the only guy who knew the league would be shut down.

There were other people he was rumored in on too but I'm not considering any of those so-called rumors. I know Dom. Dom said we were in on him. So at least that much we can take as fact.

As for Sweeney filling two holes... Well, that remains to be seen. Kase hasn't produced like a #2RW so far. I'd like to give him more time but if he doesn't kick it up a notch or if he gets hurt then Sweeney failed to fill the #2RW hole. Same goes for Ritchie, he's had some good nights and some bad. Again, I think he needs more time to adjust and to be evaluated. My big question with him will be can keep up with playoff pace. Getting young guys with term is only a good thing if they can play and contribute.

I think Sweeney attempted to fill two holes, but he filled them with question marks. I think that was very risky when you consider this might be their last best chance at a Cup with this core.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
It doesn't matter what was offered. Bruinsfan said Sweeney played it safe because he knew the league would be shut down. I am saying that because we know he tried to trade for Palmieri that's not the case. It doesn't matter what the asking price was or even that a deal got done. Sweeney's intent shows he wasn't operating like the only guy who knew the league would be shut down.

There were other people he was rumored in on too but I'm not considering any of those so-called rumors. I know Dom. Dom said we were in on him. So at least that much we can take as fact.

As for Sweeney filling two holes... Well, that remains to be seen. Kase hasn't produced like a #2RW so far. I'd like to give him more time but if he doesn't kick it up a notch or if he gets hurt then Sweeney failed to fill the #2RW hole. Same goes for Ritchie, he's had some good nights and some bad. Again, I think he needs more time to adjust and to be evaluated. My big question with him will be can keep up with playoff pace. Getting young guys with term is only a good thing if they can play and contribute.

I think Sweeney attempted to fill two holes, but he filled them with question marks. I think that was very risky when you consider this might be their last best chance at a Cup with this core.

This is where I'm at. We're coming off a Game 7 SCF loss, and had the best team in the league going into the trade deadline. We should have plugged the one giant hole in the lineup (2nd line RW), even at the expense of a first rounder and a prospect. Otherwise, the team should have remained untouched.

Instead, we got a complete shake-up of the forward lines. We have Krejci and Coyle each playing with completely new wingers on both sides. That is absolute insanity. Even the top line was broken up last game. The two new guys are largely non-factors. Assuming this season resumes, if the team stumbles at all (3 losses in a row), both those guys will be sitting, and we will be trying to reconstruct our pre-trade deadline lineup, minus Heinen.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I just think... the cap was looking tight... then he and evan gold made a couple moves and suddenly the cap was in great shape

and now.. the cap might be headed for a real train wreck

sitting here today... no one can remotely come close to saying we know where the cap will sit. theres a huge cba that controls that and it comes down to math

i suppose the cba could be adjusted if both sides agreed... but that seams unlikely

I dont think things like a compliance buyout are all that easy to add to the cba

im going to guess... that escrow just goes through the roof to fix the lost revenue this year... but then next years numbers get based on this year's performance

I do think the players will now have to do the maximum escalator because of all this freaky stuff going on... but we cant even be sure this virus outbreak would be settled before next season. we cant be sure if next season will be an 82 game season

if the team had gone and just gotten some expensive player here then a bad problem becomes worst. we couldnt afford one to begin with. its even worst now

the corno virus was a known potential threat at deadline. maybe no one thought it would shut the world down, but I think we might say Sweeney or someone in his inner circle could have been ahead of the curve. maybe they did think that the cap could be negatively effected by a world panademic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad