Rate the Bruins trade deadline

Your grade...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Anyone can be had. Agreed.
But at what cost?

High enough Im guessing that a Half dozen other GM s said ‘f*ck that’ too.
Oh I’m sure!

But other teams DID manage to make the additions they wanted, even if the cost struck many as high.

At what point do we stop accepting the excuses?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Kreider re-signing for that makes me completely happy we didn't trade for him.

If Palmieri was cheap, I'd have been worried. We should have offered more. Vaakanainen, 2nd, Bjork, etc. surely was enough. I wish we could hear what the Bruins final offer was. With him on the 2nd line and Kase/Ritchie on the 3rd, this team would have been unstoppable pending injuries. It was worth the investment.

The conservative, half-all-in effort doesn't look as good considering the ages of the older players here. Especially considering Sweeney has done well trading - I trust he could make it work if he wanted to be aggressive.

Iginla, Ovechkin and Guerin were all fine as they aged because they have wheels. We are just gun shy because our power forwards we invested in were all slow before they aged.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Oh I’m sure!

But other teams DID manage to make the additions they wanted, even if the cost struck many as high.

I dunno.
Im satisfied with the outcome. I would have Palmieri here. But I also would have liked to have born a Rockefeller.

In my 55 years of fandom Ive yet to see landing a big fish net the Cup. I have seen add ons to core push teams over the top. Happened here not too long ago,

Guess I’m just not into the drama.
I don’t believe in guarantees but sure as hell like being in mix of things.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
like kase, hope he stays healthy. like that backes and his cap hit are gone. didn't like giving
up axel andersson but minor quibble. like ritchie and getting size. like that heinen will go
somewhere else, just wasn't working here. don't like that they used a half measure on
krejci's RW addition. hard to count on kase, and now that heinen is gone, kuhlman is
really the only other option on RW (with bjork already being forced to that side). palmieri
was the guy, but unfortunately they couldn't get it done. overall, was a good deadline, and
that backes money should help with krug re-signing. B- for now, reassess again in june ;)

While unproven, I think Studs will get a look on the RW down the stretch.... would love for him to take the wheel and not let go.

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
I said C. Like what we got in Ritchie and Kase......but they come with ifs. If healthy for one and if plays smart vs dumb penalties with the other. The cap move with David B is big. Still can’t figure out why we cannot get Krejci a winger. Gone on toooooooo long. To be fair this isn’t the day to do it. Last summer was. That could be the deciding factor this year. Will say this: it was an easier road to the finals LY like we all know. Who’s to say that this year being tougher the Bruins don’t take out some of the bigger teams like TB or Caps to win it? Let them be afraid of us. Anything can happen in the playoffs. Hope it works out as this is a solid group and a tight one from what I can see.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Oh I’m sure!

When Sweeney's way wins a cup. 2011 I watched the picks and prospects cupboard be emptied and it resulted in a cup. Win, lose or draw, I would like to have a GM that would go for it like that again, instead of saying "I'm in it to win it" and deal a salary dump and 1st for an oft injured young 3rd line winger, and then another swap of third line wingers. That's in it to hopefully win it. Another summer, regular season and trade deadline has passed and they are still plugging the same holes with maybes.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Nope Wally. All we know is that he failed to add that piece.

Regardless of what the reason is.

This. Once again the hole was not addressed and last year it cost them a Cup. Maybe Kase will work out like Coyle did?

Doesn't feel like all in to me though, feels more like building for longevity and for the future.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I give it a B

Kase > Heinen
Ritchie > Backes

Saved roughly $3.2 million in cap space, while adding size and goal scoring. Kase and Ritchie are both 24yr old, so they can be part of the team now and in the future. I posted this in other thread, but the per game for the in and out since 2018-2019...

Goal / GP
Kase + Ritchie = 0.39
Heinen + Backes = 0.22

Assist / GP
Kase + Ritchie = 0.65
Heinen + Backes = 0.45

So in the end the team (on paper) improved in production, got younger, got heavier and gained cap space to sign our big FA's. Ideally we would have added a Palmieri (and that would have been an A), but it sounds like NJD wanted a 1st and no one was willing to offer it.

Last edited:

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
This is a win as long as Ritchie doesn’t let the team get bullied out of the playoffs again.

As Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand and Rask get older you do have to go for it at some point, and that probably means trading your 1st rounder for something more than saving money.

I was pretty much out on Heinen. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a 40 point player have less impact on a game.

All I asked for was some toughness. So if Ritchie #2 plays the complete opposite as Ritchie #1, I’m happy with it.

I give it a C with a chance to move up.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Iginla, Ovechkin and Guerin were all fine as they aged because they have wheels. We are just gun shy because our power forwards we invested in were all slow before they aged.

I absolutely think Kreider will be fine for 4-5 years but 7?

I was hoping the Bruins could trade and sign him for 5. He seems to have gotten the years AND the money which tells me the Bruins were smart or lucky to not make that trade.

Reactions: TheReal13Linseman

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I absolutely think Kreider will be fine for 4-5 years but 7?

I was hoping the Bruins could trade and sign him for 5. He seems to have gotten the years AND the money which tells me the Bruins were smart or lucky to not make that trade.

Yeah I wouldn'y have either but he and the recent power forwards I hear mentioned like Lucic or Backes aren't a good comp/He can skate like the wind, that's not going anywhere for awhile

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

bruinsfan

Aug 2, 2005
When Sweeney's way wins a cup. 2011 I watched the picks and prospects cupboard be emptied and it resulted in a cup. Win, lose or draw, I would like to have a GM that would go for it like that again, instead of saying "I'm in it to win it" and deal a salary dump and 1st for an oft injured young 3rd line winger, and then another swap of third line wingers. That's in it to hopefully win it. Another summer, regular season and trade deadline has passed and they are still plugging the same holes with maybes.
Completely agree with you and MMB. Couldn't of said it better myself. I can't believe that we can pick up a 3rd line winger and the GM has the guts to tell us that he's "in it to win it" and then follows it up with another 3rd line acquisition and some how this is acceptable by a big part of this fan base.

Mr. Make-Believe

I dunno.
Im satisfied with the outcome. I would have Palmieri here. But I also would have liked to have born a Rockefeller.

In my 55 years of fandom Ive yet to see landing a big fish net the Cup. I have seen add ons to core push teams over the top. Happened here not too long ago,

Guess I’m just not into the drama.
I don’t believe in guarantees but sure as hell like being in mix of things.
You did see that. In 2011.

I think it’s unfair to declare this nothing but “drama.” Sweeney is doing precisely what Chiarelli did on his way out the door. It’s only a matter of how long it will be tolerated.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

I think it’s unfair to declare this nothing but “drama.” Sweeney is doing precisely what Chiarelli did on his way out the door. It’s only a matter of how long it will be tolerated.

This is definitely better than Chiarelli at the end, claiming trading is too difficult.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

Couldn't agree more.

Reactions: TOR1970Cup

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

its my perspective and opinion.

as long as he gets them in to compete, he will be fine.
Hell just 2 years ago he landed the biggest fish. Nash.
It didnt work. Then he was crucified after the fact by back seat GMs here for it. Blaming him for Nash getting his brain busted. What a joke.

I stand by what I said. We are a better team than Friday and a better team than Game 7 last year.
Both on and off the ice.

Im not gonna lose sleep over this. Im grateful to see them have another kick at the can. Instead of puking over what I think could or should have been without any true knowledge of what was discussed , offered or demanded.

Thats me.
Everyone else can think what they want. Im not trying to convince anyone but I also sure as shit dont want anyone telling me what was when we dont know.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
A-

My stated hope was to add speed/shot to L2, a intimidating physical player, and do it without sending all my chips to the middle on a year the Bruins could very well be too fatigued to go all the way. I wanted DS to go away from the hyped hot ticket players and dig off the beaten path.

DS did just that.

He also got rid of Backes whole deal (when you factor in the Heinen savings). As Krug is a problem on the very near horizon, he couldn’t totally be focused on giving the team what it needed to compete this year. He got that done as well.

My gripes are small.

Losing Heinen is nothing...going a different direction. It had to have become clear that the Bruins had to make a significant nod to addressing the softness of the team. Heinen’s roster spot was the perfect fit. Losing the first round pick stung, but was the price to both fix a player/roster problem and a albatross contract problem...so it did a lot of heavy lifting.

I would have liked to acquire a pick or two in this years draft for players like Moore or prospects that aren’t really in the plans like Zboril.

But I really couldn’t ask for much more out of this year’s deadline when it comes to my personal opinion on direction.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I gave it a B+

I like buying low on both players and I like the cap situation going forward.

I wasn't big on Palmieri. I was praying for Kreider and had my fingers crossed on Saad after the re-signing. Can't help but feel there was a missed opportunity to add a proven winger. The upgrades lack true significance. They seem shrewd to this guy, but who the **** knows. They've combined for 15 goals between them....

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Coleman Cirelli Killorn
Palat Johnson Gourde

DeBrusk Krejci Kase
Ritchie Coyle Bjork

Does Tampa's middle 6 have more firepower? Sure. But, lets not act like this is comparing the 1927 Yankees and the 2020 Red Sox.

Mr. Make-Believe

its my perspective and opinion.

as long as he gets them in to compete, he will be fine.
Hell just 2 years ago he landed the biggest fish. Nash.
It didnt work. Then he was crucified after the fact by back seat GMs here for it. Blaming him for Nash getting his brain busted. What a joke.

I stand by what I said. We are a better team than Friday and a better team than Game 7 last year.
Both on and off the ice.

Im not gonna lose sleep over this. Im grateful to see them have another kick at the can. Instead of puking over what I think could or should have been without any true knowledge of what was discussed , offered or demanded.

Thats me.
Everyone else can think what they want. Im not trying to convince anyone but I also sure as shit dont want anyone telling me what was when we dont know.
I’m only saying what we DO know.

And I’ve never complained about Rick Nash and his acquisition. That was the right move at the right time and it didn’t work out because Nash got hurt. That one wasn’t on Sweeney, he did his job. That’s bum luck.

This one is. And it comes after Sweeney promised otherwise.

Reactions: bruinsfan

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
B-/C+

I'm very happy Heinen and Backes were dealt, but not too happy losing a 1st round pick for damaged goods

B's will be more physical with Ritchie, but still waiting for that #2RW

Can Kase be that guy?? I have my doubts ..and his concussion history is scary

Bruins should be a better team ..but like many here, I was hoping for more

Reactions: TOR1970Cup

Mr. Make-Believe

I gave it a B+

I like buying low on both players and I like the cap situation going forward.

I wasn't big on Palmieri. I was praying for Kreider and had my fingers crossed on Saad after the re-signing. Can't help but feel there was a missed opportunity to add a proven winger. The upgrades lack true significance. They seem shrewd to this guy, but who the **** knows. They've combined for 15 goals between them....

Just curious... How much money was saved on the cap with these two deals? I count $2.1M. Give or take.

It’s something... but it’s not as much as I feel many are making it out to be. But am I off on my number?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Also I don't like already knowing we don't have a 1st without having even added an impact player.
They didn't need to move money out to get a guy like Ritchie.

Just brutal business that Backes contract, pretty much all except Sweeney knew it was a bad one.

Edit, if/when Krug re-signs looking at gaining assets back in Grzelcyk trade, unless Chara retired.
Just too many LD's and go for the 2Rw again this summer with the money/assets.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Just curious... How much money was saved on the cap with these two deals? I count $2.1M. Give or take.

It’s something... but it’s not as much as I feel many are making it out to be. But am I off on my number?

Good question. I'm no mathematician and I'm probably missing something (I'm SURE someone will answer more accurately).....

Out (20/21):

Backes - $4.5M ($1.5M retained)
Heinen - $2.8M

$7.3M OUT

In (20/21):

Kase - $2.6M
Ritchie - $1.5M

$4.1M IN

That's $3.2 M towards next season? Right? Pretty significant if you ask me. Also factor in that Backes isn't a roster player, but would still count towards the cap in the off-season if I'm not mistaken?

To me that's an upgrade at both positions and you have off-season flexibility. I know that's not the goal at this point in time. You'd be a narrow minded general manager if you weren't considering all factors though.

Reactions: Strafer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad