bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I think he did well

go back October and read my posts on both Kase & Ritchie

these are two guys I wanted 4 months ago

I was complaining all along we got the wrong Ritchie

this is gold to me

Ok but gold to you over the last week-plus HAD been Palmieri. You said it countless times. Which is the same guy I wanted too.

So while we both like the deals he did make, we also both wanted a bigger impact 2RW, and we didn't get him. As much as I'm intrigued by Kase, he's clearly a health risk and clearly not as reliable for production as Palmieri would be. And if maximizing the chances of winning THIS season were a priority, nobody could argue that Kase is somehow a better option than Palmieri, for example.

Reactions: finchster

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Ok but gold to you over the last week-plus HAD been Palmieri. You said it countless times. Which is the same guy I wanted too.

So while we both like the deals he did make, we also both wanted a bigger impact 2RW, and we didn't get him. As much as I'm intrigued by Kase, he's clearly a health risk and clearly not as reliable for production as Palmieri would be. And if maximizing the chances of winning THIS season were a priority, nobody could argue that Kase is somehow a better option than Palmieri, for example.
Yeh I wanted Palmeiri absolutely

But like autos, Bruins seats, beer, hamburgers, there is no single answer- lot of good choices

once they got Kase and traded the first I figured unlikely getting Palmeiri and posted it

I also posted I would not deal Bjork for him / Eric and Lou will bzck me up

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
So I’m reading here the Backes move now sucks or is now devalued or not that important?

sadly many people are brought up in a negative environment and doom and gloom seed has been planted in the mind

I’m curious is the Backes move useless or a good thing !

Need clarification

Reactions: StrBender

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Grading this deadline won't be known at the least until
the 2021 PO are over. So Sweeney gets a solid B for
self preservation...lol.

Why?

1) He has a team in 2020 that is one of 5 legit contenders
after the deadline.

2) He brought in two players in the top 9 that net appear
to make them a bit deeper with a health caveat.

3) He keeps the 2021 1st Rd pick to use for Palmieri
or another like expiring UFA

4) Gets another year to get a better read on Studnicka
Bjork, DeBrusk and even Frederic.

5) Free cap space

So, all those basically set him up to remain in place through 2021 PO. Literally the only way he could
get canned is Kase doesn't play in any PO games
and Ritchie pulls multiple Nazem Kadri acts directly leading to 1st Rd exits. Those together seem very unlikely.

So grading this deadline should really be strictly
best Kase/worst Kase.

Best B

Worst D-

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2020-2-25_11-27-42.png

Final trade grades: Grading all 31 NHL teams with trade...

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

This is where I am at too. I easily trade 2021 first, Bjork and prospect for two runs at the Cup with Palmieri at 2RW... Also, if the oft-injured Kase doesn't hold up (not sure how anyone would think he would) you have your guy....now if he doesn't you're right back to Bjork/Kuhlman as your 2 and 3 RW. Maybe Stud,

GM said he was in it to win it, which clearly wasn't the case. I mean, maybe those were his intentions, but he didn't come through. Maybe things changed or Fitzgerald called it off, who knows. Weird a team that was selling everything wouldn't have worked the "two postseasons angle" with Palms though.

Now, this team can win. I just would have hedged my bet and gone all in even more, like Chairelli in 2011. Time will tell.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Lost our 1st rd pick to move a bad contract we took in and still paying 25% of it while at same time bringing back an injury prone 3rd liner who is going to play 2nd line here cause we failed to fix that now a while.He is only 24 at least and should have more upside.Brought in size with Ritchie which was needed but again another bottom line type player.I give this a C - .Lucky I give him that.

Reactions: LSCII

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
I like the two players we got sure I wished Palmieri was also added with these guys but I’m sure that has do with giving our first to the Ducks to take Backes witch also helps for next year so at the end of the day I think he did very good considering the situations of now and the future.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
C+ from talent in perspective

An A requires filling the gaps with proven talent, and the Bruins got some what-ifs. Getting Ritchie addressed the size and grit problem; however, I hoped if the Bruins traded Heinen or Bjork, it would be in a package for an upgrade and not a lateral move. Kase is a good pickup, but he isn't proven and injury-prone (not playing tonight either). Nevertheless, the Bruins added two RFA's in areas roster weakness, can't be overly negative about that.

From an overall perspective, Bruins get a B+. Unloading Backes and getting some cap space to re-sign some guys was a good move. While that's important, I still think this season is the Bruins last best chance for the core, and I was hoping to push it all in, so I put less importance on moving Backes than I should.

One thing I want is the Bruins to give Studnicka an extended look with the big club. He might not be ready for prime time, but his skill set might make him a useful bottom-six player this playoff.

Last edited:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
This is a tough crowd. I would like to see one of these polls later in the season after all the disappointment of "we should have gotten player x" has faded and we have a chance to see what we actually did get and whether it was good.

Reactions: kjpm, lopey and OV

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
So I’m reading here the Backes move now sucks or is now devalued or not that important?

sadly many people are brought up in a negative environment and doom and gloom seed has been planted in the mind

I’m curious is the Backes move useless or a good thing !

Need clarification

I don't think that many people have said Backes move is a bad thing.

I think people are saying while Kase is promising his injury history makes him far from a sure thing. And clearly Sweeney agreed because by all accounts he was still trying to get Palmieri until the end.

So while they made 2 good moves, they still aren't going into the playoffs knowing they have an acceptable second line right win for Krejci. They might in Kase but he also might miss time given that he's missed significant time every season.

The core is aging and we want to see Z lift the cup. Kase + Ritchie doesn't put us over the top. And since Sweeney was still going after Palmieri after he got Kase I think he agrees with me. But he wasn't ready the pull the trigger for a bigger price. Too bad.

Reactions: LSCII

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
C+ from talent in perspective

An A requires filling the gaps with proven talent, and the Bruins got some what-ifs. Getting Ritchie addressed the size and grit problem; however, I hoped if the Bruins traded Heinen or Bjork, it would be in a package for an upgrade and not a lateral move. Kase is a good pickup, but he isn't proven and injury-prone (not playing tonight either). Nevertheless, the Bruins added two RFA's in areas roster weakness, can't be overly negative about that.

From an overall perspective, Bruins get a B+. Unloading Backes and getting some cap space to re-sign some guys was a good move. While that's important, I still think this season is the Bruins last best chance for the core, and I was hoping to push it all in, so I put less importance on moving Backes than I should.

One thing I want is the Bruins to give Studnicka an extended look with the big club. He might not be ready for prime time, but his skill set might make him a useful bottom-six player this playoff.

I thought this year would be it for the Bruins before the salary cap forced them to make significant changes. But with the bridge contracts to McAvoy and Carlo, and now these moves at the deadline, they may just be able to keep this group together for one more kick at the can in 2020-21 before we potentially see pretty significant changes in the off-season of 2021.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think that many people have said Backes move is a bad thing.

I think people are saying while Kase is promising his injury history makes him far from a sure thing. And clearly Sweeney agreed because by all accounts he was still trying to get Palmieri until the end.

So while they made 2 good moves, they still aren't going into the playoffs knowing they have an acceptable second line right win for Krejci. They might in Kase but he also might miss time given that he's missed significant time every season.

The core is aging and we want to see Z lift the cup. Kase + Ritchie doesn't put us over the top. And since Sweeney was still going after Palmieri after he got Kase I think he agrees with me. But he wasn't ready the pull the trigger for a bigger price. Too bad.
I would not give up Grzelcyk & Bjork either if that was the last hour ask by Fitzgerald

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
In retrospect (which is always 20-20) would have liked them to get Toffoli but Vancouver was savvy enough to get him when they did for what they did. Other than that? I think they did well to deal Backes and get a player back in return who has the potential to be a much better player than Toffoli.

Heinen for Richie was also a good deal.

Seeing what others paid and the fact that neither Kreider or Palmieri were moved reinforces the point that the ask was way too high

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I thought this year would be it for the Bruins before the salary cap forced them to make significant changes. But with the bridge contracts to McAvoy and Carlo, and now these moves at the deadline, they may just be able to keep this group together for one more kick at the can in 2020-21 before we potentially see pretty significant changes in the off-season of 2021.
They can roll with the same core next season as well, but I also think it might be the last best chance from a performance perspective as well. Next year means a higher probability that Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci, or Rask will see their performance drop due to age. Not saying it will happen, just higher chance

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Lost our 1st rd pick to move a bad contract we took in and still paying 25% of it while at same time bringing back an injury prone 3rd liner who is going to play 2nd line here cause we failed to fix that now a while.He is only 24 at least and should have more upside.Brought in size with Ritchie which was needed but again another bottom line type player.I give this a C - .Lucky I give him that.

I didn't realize the world ends in June 2020. Better get
my things in order...lol.

Dude my money is on them contending next year also.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
They can roll with the same core next season as well, but I also think it might be the last best chance from a performance perspective as well. Next year means a higher probability that Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci, or Rask will see their performance drop due to age. Not saying it will happen, just higher chance

All true, but it may be counter-acted by improvements from the likes of McAvoy, Carlo, Lauzon/Clifton, Debrusk, Kase, Bjork, Ritchie. Not to mention the potential emergence of a Studnicka, Senyshyn, or Frederic.

Things change on a dime in today's NHL though, it could easily fall apart next year, who knows. Not to mention playoff success (or lack thereof) will also dictate what they do with this roster. If they are out in Round 1 or 2, we may see significant changes this off-season.

Reactions: PlayMakers

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I didn't realize the world ends in June 2020. Better get
my things in order...lol.

Dude my money is on them contending next year also.
The Bruins were dead for years a few years ago

the Habs started the season 9-1 and the Bruins started at home 0-2-1 and there was a big thread on Main Board titled tongue in check I’m sure ‘Will the Bruins Ever Win Another Game,.

Wally or Fenway probably closed it message was clear.

the Leafs and Jets were on the cover of the Hockey News as the next big thing,

The Leafs young stars got to $10 + M per year contracts before the dynasty won a single playoff round

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad