Your grade...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Solid B.

Heinen, Backes, 1st, and Axel Andersson for Kase, Ritchie

This grade goes up or down depending how far they go in the playoffs and if Kase, Ritchie are actual upgrades.

Playing to potential, on paper they are. We'll see how they mesh with the team.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
C.

Did something. Kase could be a huge add, but not nearly enough.

We have all seen what happens when Boston gets abused.
Also depth now an issue as Par Lindholm and crew are inevitable when injuries happen in playoffs.

I don't hate it but I just don't feel it's enough to get by the Tampa's Washington's etc of the east.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Got a B with the potential for it to become an A or A+ in hindsight, depending on how Kase develops.

They got more talented, tougher and gained cap flexibility.

Sucks losing a 1st, but maybe at the draft he can turn in one of the defensemen into a 2 or 3 to recoup some of the value lost there.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Do some of the savings mean the Bruins can eat Chara's bonuses on this year's cap, rather than carrying them over to next season?

Reactions: wintersej

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
C, perhaps C+.

The foundation was there for an A+ and we went the conservative route... built the cap space for the playoffs.

Should have gotten the 2nd line RW and until that happens there should be some displeasure towards management. Soon to be a decade of Krejci with one winger.

The two trades were fantastic.

IveGotToBeMe

Jul 1, 2012
RI
I give it a B-. No real established player acquired. Overall, I think the pluses outweigh the minuses so in better shape on a net basis, particularly from a cap perspective.

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Loved moving out Backes and landing Kase while only giving up a 1st and a C level prospect.

I'm not sold on Ritchie v2. I know he's big and physical, but he also doesn't have great hands, is lazy and looks to be in poor physical condition.

Overall I give it a B.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Loved the Kase deal until I realized the Palmieri deal must have hinged on a first. Heinen for Ritchie is whatever, a 3rd liner/healthy scratch for a third liner

to expect Kase, a guy who can’t even stay healthy during the regular season to hold up in the playoffs is a real tall order. Hoping it works out.

not sure how high the price was for Palmieri but yet another year they are going to count on their super line to do it all.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
B-

Didn't land the big fish, but then again neither did anyone else. Got tougher, which is 100% necessary against Washington/St. Louis type teams. Got rid of Heinen, which is a plus in itself. Kase is a question mark that could pay huge.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Was there any player that moved who I wished the Bruins acquired? Especially at the cost they were traded for? Absolutely not. I'm not crazy about trading Heinen so I'll give it a solid-B. Sweeney gets the benefit of the doubt.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
C.

Kase has far too much injury concerns to be your 2nd line RW answer. How many Bruins went down with injuries last playoffs and that was getting to avoid teams like Washington.

Look forward to Ritchie taking a dumb penalty in the playoffs a couple times.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
negatives...
-lost 2 kid assets we will miss
-had to retain on backes
-didnt add that vetern 6/7 dman with some grit we were wanting
-didnt get a surefire upgrade for second line rw

pros
-really like the cap management getting 2 upgrades to the forwards at this cost
-moved backes without attatching a first to him directly. feels like andersson was the cost
-have kevan miller in the wings as our possible vet dman add
-really barely scratched the depth of our prospect pool
-addressed the team toughness issue bigtime

because cap management is so key to teams success... im going b+
to be honest nothing is won/lost on deadline day. but we made some improvements to our puzzle

Reactions: cat400

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
I’m usually pretty vocal about Sweeney and think there’s a lot he could improve on.

But I think he did a pretty good job. He got a player with more physicality and Kase has the potential to fit that second line.

I’ll reserve my judgment on the moves until we see how they fit. But bottom line is the Bruins are a better team now than they were two days ago and they got players with term while opening up more cap space to re-sign Krug or someone else to fill his role.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
B-

I like the Ritchie deal that’s a good pickup as long as he plays somewhat physical. As for the Kase deal if he’s healthy it’s all good will he be healthy is another question.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
B-

I like the Ritchie deal that’s a good pickup as long as he plays somewhat physical. As for the Kase deal if he’s healthy it’s all good will he be healthy is another question.

Exactly how I feel. Kase is a wild card, could turn out great. I liked the moves Sweeney made, just think he needed to make one more...

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
In 72 hours got Backes contract off and picked up two 23/24 year old forwards.

Kase is a player many of us have coveted. I actually thought it was a joke they got him

My posts when the Bruins played the Ducks was I’d go after Nick Ritchie - an underachiever but a moose who skates well and has good hands and is tough. He beat Zach Kassian in a fight I believe last year.

I have been saying all along we got the wrong Ritchie - he’s worth the shot in my world

with the two deals they have 5 wingers in the top three lines between 23 and 24

no complaints overall and moved Backes

me

63-37-88
74-46-Kase

Nick Ritchie-13-10

gives the Bruins 2 Mooses on third line and a physical 4th

no reason they should be pushed around with half the lineup that size

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad