Rate the Bruins trade deadline

Your grade...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I went B-. If they were a decent but not excellent team, I’d have called it an A. Got younger guys with term and ditched a terrible contract.

The issue I have though is that the window for our key players is obvious, and the clear team need wasn’t truly addressed. Sure Kase may be what they need, but Palmieri or the like was a smarter bet. I get that maybe they just couldn’t find the right talent swap, but it will suck if secondary scoring is the main issue this year with only so many years of Bergeron left.

Reactions: HooperDrivesTheBoat

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Wow this board is hella generous.

Failed to address the hole that’s been glaring for the better part of a decade. In the very tail end of a Cup window. Gave up a first and barely improved the team and hardly opened up any cap space.

I like Kase. I like Ritchie. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t have graded my very generous D. Because realistically, this is a failure. And inexcusable.

“We’re in it to win.” My flaming asshole. Don’t treat me like an idiot.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Solid C from me as it relates to upgrading the team for this year's playoffs. The two trades on their own were solid moves, and I am fine with both of them, but the biggest problem still persists. Failing to meet the biggest need sucks. Problem is that Kase is prone to injury, with multiple head injuries a part of that. Doesn't matter how much potential a player has if he's not playing. Another problem is that the Bs essentially brought in two bottom 6 talents, both with 8 or less goals this season. Well, the Bs main need is secondary scoring, period. The obvious need is at 2RW. Been that for multiple seasons excluding last season, at least until the Bs were having to platoon Backes and Kuhlman at 2 RW. Those folks questioning not bringing in a 2RW in the offseason were assured by others that DS will easily fix that at the deadline. Guess what? 2RW was not taken care of. Instead, the Bs will likely have an injury-prone third line talent at 2RW. Unless Kase somehow magically becomes a top 6 scorer overnight (crazier things have happened I suppose) then it's going to burn the Bs come playoff time. Frustrating to watch other teams in the East make meaningful upgrades, yet the Bs only come out with two bottom 6 players, something they are in no shortage of. Happy some muscle was added with Ritchie. Happy that Kase is such an exciting player with good potential. Not happy at all that this deadline was very underwhelming in terms of bringing in a proven solution at 2RW. DS should have done better for this core. Too much rolling of the dice against the odds. At least the Bs still have umpteen d-men and bottom 6 talent in case of injury.

Reactions: JOKER 192

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I went B-. If they were a decent but not excellent team, I’d have called it an A. Got younger guys with term and ditched a terrible contract.

The issue I have though is that the window for our key players is obvious, and the clear team need wasn’t truly addressed. Sure Kase may be what they need, but Palmieri or the like was a smarter bet. I get that maybe they just couldn’t find the right talent swap, but it will suck if secondary scoring is the main issue this year with only so many years of Bergeron left.

I’m sure Bergy and Krejci will love watching all these Bruins prospects on tv circa 2025

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Palmieri was never on the table. As much as I’d like to have added a RW there wasn’t many available. I’m not a big DS fan but I’m happy with the moves he was able to make.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Wow this board is hella generous.

Failed to address the hole that’s been glaring for the better part of a decade. In the very tail end of a Cup window. Gave up a first and barely improved the team and hardly opened up any cap space.

I like Kase. I like Ritchie. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t have graded my very generous D. Because realistically, this is a failure. And inexcusable.

“We’re in it to win.” My flaming asshole. Don’t treat me like an idiot.

we’re in it to win it*

*as long as it’s not my 2021 1st (I used my biggest chip to dump my horrible contract) or any of my favorite prospects.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
who says he wasn’t on the table?
One of the insiders on tv had mentioned it. And the New Jersey board seems to say the same thing. I guess anyone could be on the table for the right deal but they weren’t putting him out there. Teams were apparently asking but they never received anything close to considering moving him. Would have been a nice add. But again I’m ok with the moves.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Nope Wally. All we know is that he failed to add that piece.

Regardless of what the reason is.

takes two to tango.

Im feeling pretty good about what they got. As well as what they got rid of.

If Palmieri was that easy to get he wouldnt be a Devil tonight.

And Kreider....he’s Backes in 3 years. Rangers fans are ready to throw themselves off the Brooklyn bridge.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
takes two to tango.

And Kreider....he’s Backes in 3 years. Rangers fans are ready to throw themselves off the Brooklyn bridge.

Same excuse we hear every year, man.

Anyone can be had for the right return, right? Sweeney obviously didn’t offer it. And he has the gall to offer up an “in it to win” statement. No he isn’t. If he was, it would have happened.

It’s so tiresome.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Same excuse we hear every year, man.

Anyone can be had for the right return, right? Sweeney obviously didn’t offer it. And he has the gall to offer up an “in it to win” statement. No he isn’t. If he was, it would have happened.

It’s so tiresome.

Anyone can be had. Agreed.
But at what cost?

High enough Im guessing that a Half dozen other GM s said ‘f*** that’ too.

Reactions: Alicat

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Very unusual that I gave the TDL moves by the Bruins a B+ but I feel exactly as you do. And if I'm correct they were game by game having to be extremely careful about bringing kids up here and there because they were so close to the cap. Also, not sure if this will take care of any bonus overages of the Chara contract. So I think besides the new guys I would think that maybe they'll be able to sub in guys like Stud, Fred and Lauko here and there to give them a taste of the action.
I had no issue with with what they paid (Heinen, a 1st and Andersson) while freeing up most of the Backes contract. I also coveted Nick Ritchie and couldn't stand the level that Heinens game devolved to. I thought that we were going to get Palmieri but these two are a good consolation prize. The playoffs are a crap-shoot, you never really know how moves are going to pay off or not, we'll just have to wait and see.
We need to remain calm and when we see the impact the new guys have (or don't have) we'll know more.
If Kreider or Palmieri or Rakel moved it would be a different story but it seems like the available targets simply weren't there.
Well said.

Bruins are a better play off team today than they were two weeks ago.

Reactions: Strafer

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
It’s amazing that the only answers to a positional gap are in the form of veteran established talent. As though magically they didn’t at some point hit a new level to turn into what they are.

I’m positive the bruins thought they were getting a man who would sniff Gretzky’s mark for quickest to 50 when they shipped ken hodge to Vancouver.

Ken Hodge? To Vancouver? Was that right after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
takes two to tango.

Kreider re-signing for that makes me completely happy we didn't trade for him.

If Palmieri was cheap, I'd have been worried. We should have offered more. Vaakanainen, 2nd, Bjork, etc. surely was enough. I wish we could hear what the Bruins final offer was. With him on the 2nd line and Kase/Ritchie on the 3rd, this team would have been unstoppable pending injuries. It was worth the investment.

The conservative, half-all-in effort doesn't look as good considering the ages of the older players here. Especially considering Sweeney has done well trading - I trust he could make it work if he wanted to be aggressive.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
takes two to tango.

I actually think Kreider is going to age well. Something different about him. Maybe not the full 7 but I think he will I’ll be solid for 5 for sure. I think it was a good move by the Rangers to keep him. Obviously they weren’t getting the offer they wanted so they said well if we aren’t getting that blue chip guy or pick back, we would be a better team by keeping him. Moving Skjei for a 1st adds them a good player and opens up space for that contract as well as what will be a raise to Deangelo.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I actually think Kreider is going to age well. Something different about him. Maybe not the full 7 but I think he will I’ll be solid for 5 for sure. I think it was a good move by the Rangers to keep him. Obviously they weren’t getting the offer they wanted so they said well if we aren’t getting that blue chip guy or pick back, we would be a better team by keeping him. Moving Skjei for a 1st adds them a good player and opens up space for that contract as well as what will be a raise to Deangelo.

not me. Kreiders game is his wheels and driving to the net.
Both prone to go earlier rather than later.

Id hate that contract here. Hate it.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Anyone can be had. Agreed.
But at what cost?

High enough Im guessing that a Half dozen other GM s said ‘f*ck that’ too.

Then our GM needs to find another way to get that elusive unicorn for the 2nd line hes needed for five years now instead of waiting until the deadline....at some point you need to go all in no matter what the cost and take advantage of Bergy, Krejci and Rask while you have them. We will have plenty of time after them to be the Senators and collect draft picks and prospects. Sweeney half stepped this.

Hey maybe they will still win, but you know what? they better. Anything else is a complete failure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad