Post-Game Talk: Rate how Holland did today

Rate how Holland did today

• 0 - A Kenbellini TDL. Nothing significant

• 1 - Could have done waaaay better

• 2 - Decent players but price too high

• 3 - Meh - Not bad, not great.

• 4 - A very good day for the Oilers

• 5 - Holland killed it today. Suck it Flames.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Where did you hear that about the prospects being offered? I wouldn't mind reading about that.
Look up Elliott Friedman’s column, I’m not meaning to divert this thread so no more people quote this. But here’s an excerpt about that 31 thoughts column from the Edmonton sun, this was at the end of last summer.

1. The best summary of the market to date for Puljujarvi came from Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman, who has risen to the top of NHL hockey insiders, when he spoke to host Bob Stauffer on Oilers Now last Friday. “I know he’s been closely watched…” Friedman said of Puljujarvi. “I’m sure Ken Holland is getting calls but he set a pretty high bar in the summer and especially when the team is going as well as it is now, it buys him time. So I think teams know it’s not going to be inexpensive to get him, so I’m curious to see who is going to pay that price…. Ken Holland is playing cards right now and he thinks he’s got a pretty good hand.”
  2. Friedman then talked about the previous offer from Tampa, which was AHL prospect Alexander Volkov and maybe more. Volkov, 22, scored 23 goals two years in a row in the AHL and has three assists in three games this year in the AHL.
  3. Friedman said he’d heard St. Louis had offered Klim Kostin, 20. Big Kostin has also played two years in the AHL, putting up 28 points as an 18-year-old and 24 points as a 19-year-old. He has five points in 9 AHL games this year.
  4. It’s also been rumoured that Carolina offered huge Julien Gauthier, 22. Gauthier had 16 and 27 goals in his first two AHL seasons. He’s got four goals in 6 AHL games this year.”

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Look up Elliott Friedman’s column, I’m not meaning to divert this thread so no more people quote this. But here’s an excerpt about that 31 thoughts column from the Edmonton sun, this was at the end of last summer.

1. The best summary of the market to date for Puljujarvi came from Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman, who has risen to the top of NHL hockey insiders, when he spoke to host Bob Stauffer on Oilers Now last Friday. “I know he’s been closely watched…” Friedman said of Puljujarvi. “I’m sure Ken Holland is getting calls but he set a pretty high bar in the summer and especially when the team is going as well as it is now, it buys him time. So I think teams know it’s not going to be inexpensive to get him, so I’m curious to see who is going to pay that price…. Ken Holland is playing cards right now and he thinks he’s got a pretty good hand.”
  2. Friedman then talked about the previous offer from Tampa, which was AHL prospect Alexander Volkov and maybe more. Volkov, 22, scored 23 goals two years in a row in the AHL and has three assists in three games this year in the AHL.
  3. Friedman said he’d heard St. Louis had offered Klim Kostin, 20. Big Kostin has also played two years in the AHL, putting up 28 points as an 18-year-old and 24 points as a 19-year-old. He has five points in 9 AHL games this year.
  4. It’s also been rumoured that Carolina offered huge Julien Gauthier, 22. Gauthier had 16 and 27 goals in his first two AHL seasons. He’s got four goals in 6 AHL games this year.”

Awesome, thanks!

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
No 3C & I still have to watch Jujar = 4...overall I am happy & we get to keep 1st rounders for this year & next

I highly doubt Khaira gets back in the lineup once Neal or Kassian return, unless Tippett wants some size for a playoff game or two.

AA-McDavid-Kassian
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Ennis-Sheahan-Archibald
Chiasson-Haas-Neal

I've been impressed by Benson as well though, so Chiasson could become the extra forward to make room for him. Either way barring injury I doubt Khaira has a spot.

Reactions: guymez and Pugilist

MinisterOfSinister

Aug 31, 2008
I'd love to see Gags brought back for next season. As an extra forward, he has shown he's still capable of coming in and delivering the occasional impact performance. He's also likely a great guy in the locker room and a great influence on our younger players in general.

Gags gave us some pretty memorable nights during a time we'd all like to forget.
Kinda sad to see him go to Detroit, but hes gonna get lots of ice time there. I hope he makes the most of it.

Reactions: ujju2

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
One thing that shouldn't go understated today is that our coach and GM met with Gagner and broke the news to him. Edmonton has earned a reputation as being a little insensitive to the "human element", and rightfully so. Hopefully this is a new standard that makes Edmonton a more welcoming place for future players.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
One thing that shouldn't go understated today is that our coach and GM met with Gagner and broke the news to him. Edmonton has earned a reputation as being a little insensitive to the "human element", and rightfully so. Hopefully this is a new standard that makes Edmonton a more welcoming place for future players.

This is what happens when you hire GMs with no managerial experience beyond EA's NHL games :laugh:

Reactions: Wyrm

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders
I first of all am happy we are buying not selling. I think the adds are solid and with some of the other teams around us making moves it was a absolute must . Kenny needed to send a message to fans and the team that he is in this to make some noise. I went for the 4/5 and think we are better team today for sure

Last edited:

MinisterOfSinister

Aug 31, 2008
I highly doubt Khaira gets back in the lineup once Neal or Kassian return, unless Tippett wants some size for a playoff game or two.

AA-McDavid-Kassian
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Ennis-Sheahan-Archibald
Chiasson-Haas-Neal

I've been impressed by Benson as well though, so Chiasson could become the extra forward to make room for him. Either way barring injury I doubt Khaira has a spot.

That's what I like most about the moves today.
Holland injected skill for McDavid, depth and flexibility for the coaches, and gave up minimal assests for a RFA, and essentially nothing for Green and Ennis (sorry Gags).
This team is fast, can hit, and now hopefully had depth that makes us a scoring threat beyond one line. If AA and/or Ennis work well with McDavid, and based on their speed I dont see why they wont, line matching just got a hell of a lot easier.
Now if the Oilers can win home ice advantage, DRY can feast.
Loving the moves, and for once it's nice to be a buyer. Great day to be an Oilers fan.

Reactions: ujju2

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
I’d like to reserve judgement on today until I see how the new guys play, but On paper the moves seem solid. Scoring Holland a 3 seemed low, so I gave him a 4.

Best of luck, Sammy Snowpants, your effort this season was appreciated, even if the results weren’t there.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Nobody is looking at a 21YO at a PPG in the Liiga? After it was reported we were offered prospects by Tampa, Stl, Carolina to name a few? IMO Puljuarvi has only done better for his value, he’s not just doing well over there, he’s dominating for stretch’s and an argument could be made for him being the best player in the liiga, what more do you want him to do if he refuses to play for EDM?

Thats news to me. I thought holland had said no one asked about him.

Gordievsky

Jan 18, 2019
I like both moves. Neither is a home run but given context, it's pretty much the best possible outcome without shedding any asset of significance. I rated a 4.

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
AA and local boy Ennis were givens, but had for less than expected. Green was unexpected but helps out now and will be valuable depth come playoff time. Kept out first pick and even sprinkled a bottom 6er in there.

Easy 10/10

Gordievsky

Jan 18, 2019
I also like the message it sends the room. You guys have had a decent year and we think there's more potential to unlock. We're not going all in but mgmt wants to put you in the best possible position to overachieve.

Reactions: McTedi

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019

A good GM would let JP rot unless he decides to come back and show his face in an oiler uniform. All those prospects is not worth JP. Dumping him for chumps that won't have an NHL career is worse than having JP play the rest of his career in finland. The oilers have the luxury of letting JP play the rest of his life in finland and get nothing for it. The last time we dumped a player who pouted was Chris Pronger and he took the ducks to a stanley cup championship. Not saying JP is pronger but he is far from a finished product. The fans here dumping on him is devaluing this quality asset. Any GM or scout who is knowledgeable sees more of a player in JP than all the idiotic comments on HF. Big player who can skate and unload a big shot, a right handed shot, this stuff does not grow on trees.

Reactions: NCV

space321

May 11, 2011
Hate seeing Gags go out like this. Mike Green trade is really confusing headscratcher. Ennis trade is pretty good. Athanasiou trade imo we overpaid. So I voted 3/5.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
If you read the Wings board you'd see that our 2nd round picks aren't valued as much as they used to. The better the Oilers get, the closer those picks become to "late 2nd round" quality. The risk of losing them is not that high. AA for 2x2 is medium risk/medium reward kind of a trade.

I agree with the wings fans.

these trades improve the oilers, if they improve the oilers, the 2nd round picks will become that much weaker.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Hate seeing Gags go out like this. Mike Green trade is really confusing headscratcher. Ennis trade is pretty good. Athanasiou trade imo we overpaid. So I voted 3/5.
defensive depth is never a bad thing in the playoffs. to make the deals at the TDL, you're going to have to overpay. It's not a time where going on the cheap side is going to land you a player.

Reactions: tardigrade81

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
[QUOTE="KlefDown, post: 170848943, member: 226849"]8/10

would have been 10/10 if he managed to make one of the picks from AA trade a conditional to conference finals[/QUOTE]

So a 4/5 then. ;)

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Can't you sum up what we got and what was shipped out in the OP?

IN: Green, Ennis, AA... + picks/players
Out, 2x2nd, 3rd/4th, 5th... + picks/players

I figured everyone here would know what we got and gave up. It is the Oiler forum after all. ;)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Holland did well IMO. It's always tough to make multiple quality trades during trade deadline due to all the demand, yet he managed to strengthen the team's weakness on the wing without having to give up a first round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad