Post-Game Talk: Rate how Holland did today

Rate how Holland did today

• 0 - A Kenbellini TDL. Nothing significant

• 1 - Could have done waaaay better

• 2 - Decent players but price too high

• 3 - Meh - Not bad, not great.

• 4 - A very good day for the Oilers

• 5 - Holland killed it today. Suck it Flames.

Results are only viewable after voting.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Can't you sum up what we got and what was shipped out in the OP?

IN: Green, Ennis, AA... + picks/players
Out, 2x2nd, 3rd/4th, 5th... + picks/players

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I gave him a 4. The AA is a risk worth taking. Ennis is cheap depth. Dont like the Green deal as I feel he’s at best our 4th best RH D right now. Why waste a pick on him? Having him help teach Bouchard a trick or two might make it worth it. We are a better team today and we didnt lose a 1st, Bouch or Broberg and we didnt take on any stupid cap hits or term contracts. Pretty good day. Miles better than anything that POS Chiarelli ever did.

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
Somewhere between 4 and 5 for me.

The most valuable asset he gave up was a pair of 2nd round picks. He could have addressed LW long term, improved depth for a run and stablized the team moving into the playoffs. Hard to argue against that job of work.

The risk isn't even that significant. AA doesn't work out and they flip him in the summer to recoup maybe half of what they spent on him. 2nd round picks are okay, but not worth stressing about. Especially if we're talking about a mid-round pick and not an early one.

If you read the Wings board you'd see that our 2nd round picks aren't valued as much as they used to. The better the Oilers get, the closer those picks become to "late 2nd round" quality. The risk of losing them is not that high. AA for 2x2 is medium risk/medium reward kind of a trade.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I went 3/5, if 3.5/5 was available I probably would of taken that. Green deal I seen as meh to slightly negative, Ennis deal as just a positive, but likely not a super impactful positive, and the Athanasiou deal I'm completely on the fence on, it's a big gamble and could break either way.

The OP has 3/5 as meh and 4/5 as very good, I'm looking for a middle ground there.

Also just as an aside having been on these boards for many trade deadline days, it seems anytime we are quite active and make moves that look to improve the team without doing something that is on it's face stupid is heralded pretty glowingly here. A lot fans are just hyped about the action/movement and are incredibly optimistic, but when hindsight is applied the evaluations tend to get a lot more critical.

Reactions: Spawn and RalphKing

Kirby

Sponsor
Jan 31, 2009
Edmonton
I think Holland should have picked up Ennis for a 5th and called it a day.

AA high risk, high reward.

Green too expensive for what imo is a non roster player.

I was looking forward to the decimated Bakersfield Condors getting some young talent drafted this summer to restock the cupboards over the next couple years.

A first and then a 5th, 6th, 7th this year is poor.

Next year a first and then hopefully a 3rd, 4th, 6th, and 7th...

Holland is far more win now both to start the year and now than I ever could have imagined.

It looks slightly barren when you lay it out today, but there is still a chance you replace some of those lost picks in trades after the season/at the draft. You more than likely recover a 3rd/4th round pick for JP. Something has to give on D with all of our prospects + Benning/Russell - more than likely you can recover some picks here as well.

I would like to think we are essentially only going to be missing out on second round picks both this year and next year. If the draft/developing of prospects has actually improved, we shouldn't be too far off on ensuring we can keep cupboards stocked, and the prime talent for Bakersfield is going to come from our 1st round picks each year as hopefully we can continue taking our time with our prospects.

Reactions: Aerchon

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
4/5 for sure. People who don't like it want something for nothing. AA has speed and skill and could be unreal with McDavid. You can't have the best player in the world playing with AHL players. AA has scored 30 on a terrible team. Green is solid, basically give up nothing for a vet presence that will probably make the pp even better. Ennis is a steal, fits perfectly here for essentially nothing.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
I gave him a 4/5 but I'd love to put an asterisk beside that saying it could move up to a 5 or down to a 3 depending on how AA performs.

If he does well it's a 5, if he does poorly it's a 3. I think regardless of which side if the fence you fall on these were pretty safe moves that should improve our team as a whole this season without giving up too much. Only move I didn't like was moving out Perrson but that might well be a player/agent move.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I put a 5, I expected us to maybe land Ennis, if anything.

The Green trade was meh, but who cares if it means we stayed under the cap still? Green could be a great add to the PP, if he has anything left, or could be a great mentor to Bear there. He’s only going to play, at most, probably 25ish games here then he’s gone as a UFA, he was basically free with a 4th.
The AA trade was awesome, I thought there was no way we weren’t going to be giving up a first, especially after it was reported he was traded to CBJ, I don’t know how well he will mix with Mcdavid, but he is a much better player then what’s there. Worst case he’s still an RFA, and can be used up and down the lineup, much needed skilled depth.
The Ennis trade was excellent also, essentially gave up nothing in a 5th, for a guy who’s performed well in the bottom 6, he’s not going to get the minutes or PP time he got in Ottawa, but he’s a much better option then playing Russell and Khaira, and can rotate through the lines also if needed.

This morning I thought to myself, if we got just Ennis, I would be satisfied, but if we got AA I would be thrilled.

We got both, and didn’t touch our prospect pool.

We could easily get picks this June for Pulju, so essentially to me we traded Pulju for AA. Just in case people are upset about trading multiple picks

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I put a 5, I expected us to maybe land Ennis, if anything.

The Green trade was meh, but who cares if it means we stayed under the cap still? Green could be a great add to the PP, if he has anything left, or could be a great mentor to Bear there. He’s only going to play, at most, probably 25ish games here then he’s gone as a UFA, he was basically free with a 4th.
The AA trade was awesome, I thought there was no way we weren’t going to be giving up a first, especially after it was reported he was traded to CBJ, I don’t know how well he will mix with Mcdavid, but he is a much better player then what’s there. Worst case he’s still an RFA, and can be used up and down the lineup, much needed skilled depth.
The Ennis trade was excellent also, essentially gave up nothing in a 5th, for a guy who’s performed well in the bottom 6, he’s not going to get the minutes or PP time he got in Ottawa, but he’s a much better option then playing Russell and Khaira, and can rotate through the lines also if needed.

This morning I thought to myself, if we got just Ennis, I would be satisfied, but if we got AA I would be thrilled.

We got both, and didn’t touch our prospect pool.

We could easily get picks this June for Pulju, so essentially to me we traded Pulju for AA. Just in case people are upset about trading multiple picks

That would be a coup.

Doiron is looking to move picks for a young players it sounds like.....but I have my doubts anyone is looking at JP. Only he can change that.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
5/5 killed it

I know he didn't get a 3C, but there literally weren't any available (unless you were prepared to give a 1st+ for Pageau)

All I wanted was Athanasiou with Ennis as a consolation prize, but to get BOTH AND a veteran right-shot dman for depth without giving up a 1st, I'm ecstatic.

We upgraded 2/3 of our 1st line, something nobody came close to doing today

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
That would be a coup.

Doiron is looking to move picks for a young players it sounds like.....but I have my doubts anyone is looking at JP. Only he can change that.
Nobody is looking at a 21YO at a PPG in the Liiga? After it was reported we were offered prospects by Tampa, Stl, Carolina to name a few? IMO Puljuarvi has only done better for his value, he’s not just doing well over there, he’s dominating for stretch’s and an argument could be made for him being the best player in the liiga, what more do you want him to do if he refuses to play for EDM?

Reactions: Throttlehead

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
One thing I noticed about Holland, he said both he and Tippet met with Gagner and broke the news to him. He said it was a hard day because of that as Gagner loved being an Oiler.
Sucks to trade him but need his cap hit was too high. From Bob Stauffer, it sounds like Gagner might be back next season.

There are some positives for Gagner. He will get more playing time in Detroit.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Nobody is looking at a 21YO at a PPG in the Liiga? After it was reported we were offered prospects by Tampa, Stl, Carolina to name a few? IMO Puljuarvi has only done better for his value, he’s not just doing well over there, he’s dominating for stretch’s and an argument could be made for him being the best player in the liiga, what more do you want him to do if he refuses to play for EDM?

Where did you hear that about the prospects being offered? I wouldn't mind reading about that.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
AA's analytics suggest he'll benefit away from a bad team. Green probably less so, he basically is what he is at this point.

Considering our defence group as-is, Green isn't really a necessity anyways - he's just more depth. Anything more would be gravy. Especially with good play this season from Jones and Benning, there's some competition for those third-pair spots, even if Russell is out.

MinisterOfSinister

Aug 31, 2008
All I know with our moves today is that flames fans are either pissed off, or channeling their inner soothsayer and predicting the moves to fail while choking back tears.
So yeah. Pretty damn good day.

Reactions: Moreaupheus

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
A few comments.

The thread title is called "how did Holland do today"

on the whole I think Holland has done damned well since taking over from Chiarelli and he was in a rock and a hard place to do much with what he was left with. so if the thread title was what has Holland done for the Oilers he gets my 4 or 5 mark.

But today in acquiring the two forwards its around a 3.

The gold standard would have to be Carolina acquiring Vatanen and Trocheck. The Trocheck deal particularly is gutsy but the guys the Canes were giving up were weakest links and they get Vinnie for it, who I would have on my team anytime. Vatanen and Trocheck are solid additions to the Canes roster. I don't see our additions moving the needle that much except Green.

This is my curse sometimes it seems. AA particularly is a player I've flamed here countless times. lol at the constant times he's blown scoring chances and all that. Those threads are there. never liked him. now we got him and I have to try to find it.. find a like for the player..

We rarely seem to acquire the players I like a lot.

oh well. just put the f***ing puck in the net!?

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Sucks to trade him but need his cap hit was too high. From Bob Stauffer, it sounds like Gagner might be back next season.

There are some positives for Gagner. He will get more playing time in Detroit.

I'd love to see Gags brought back for next season. As an extra forward, he has shown he's still capable of coming in and delivering the occasional impact performance. He's also likely a great guy in the locker room and a great influence on our younger players in general.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad