Post-Game Talk: Rate how Holland did today

Rate how Holland did today

• 0 - A Kenbellini TDL. Nothing significant

• 1 - Could have done waaaay better

• 2 - Decent players but price too high

• 3 - Meh - Not bad, not great.

• 4 - A very good day for the Oilers

• 5 - Holland killed it today. Suck it Flames.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I liked the Green acquisition.

AA I see as a suspect player all round, and that often times has trouble finishing. But still he can look in place in a topsix. Just not one I would go out and get.

Tyler Ennis I don't really get. He's 30, small, tweener type player that doesn't fit anywhere. Not nearly talented enough to be in topsix and not by my looks a 200ft role player either.

People know I like big forwards though headed into playoffs. I don't feel small forwards add a whole lot in the grind of playoffs. Prefer Slepy to either of the forwards we obtained today.

Slepy btw is doing very well in KHL and was player of the month. Been consistent all along in wishing we retained that player.

Reactions: Aerchon

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Holland has been making me eat a murder full of crow this year. I seriously don't like so many of his moves but they keep turning out.

The biggest hole is missing Klefbom and we didn't address that.

However.

You are right. He has addressed the scoring depth issues in spades.

Klef is only going to be out one more week hopefully.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
3 question marks for some magic beans. Hard to grade until the season is over, but low risk at the very least. Would have liked to see him get out of a bad contract or two but hopefully that gets done in the summer.

Think Ennis will be fine in the bottom six. AA is an obvious upgrade on the left side but primarily because the left side on this team is garbage so it's basically a forfeit win. Next to no expectations out of Green in the twilight of his career. Expecting him to basically just be Russell's replacement.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I think Holland should have picked up Ennis for a 5th and called it a day.

AA high risk, high reward.

Green too expensive for what imo is a non roster player.

I was looking forward to the decimated Bakersfield Condors getting some young talent drafted this summer to restock the cupboards over the next couple years.

A first and then a 5th, 6th, 7th this year is poor.

Next year a first and then hopefully a 3rd, 4th, 6th, and 7th...

Holland is far more win now both to start the year and now than I ever could have imagined.

Draft picks can be added in the summer with deals for Puljujarvi, Russell, etc. You go for it in the spring and restock before the draft.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
4 pretty good low risks deals that do fix some issues. AA and Ennis hopefully can contribute and help the team's bad wing depth. I mean considering current TDL prices we could have given up a lot more. Still Holland does have more to prove before he really gets solidified as a great GM for this team around the Draft and Offseason.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
The worst trade was the Green one. I don't know how much he has left in the tank and IMO is not an upgrade on Bear on PP1 now, and definitely not going to start over Klef in a few weeks. His 5 on 5 stats are terrible this year.

Highest upside was the AA one but at a decently steep price. He is an RFA though so we can likely resign him to a not so expensive contract and trade him if he's not a great fit to recoup some value.

Ennis trade was an amazing value trade for a guy who can produce all throughout the lineup and even play 1st line with McDavid.

Rated it 4/5.

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
If I told you guys we'd get a first line winger, a depth forward (who's now 4th in pts on the team) has top 6 potential and a puck moving, good skating right shot, experienced dman that could even improve our PP.

No one would've believed me.

Can I give Holland a 6?

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary

I was looking forward to the decimated Bakersfield Condors getting some young talent drafted this summer to restock the cupboards over the next couple years.

Holland is far more win now both to start the year and now than I ever could have imagined.

Well we do need to be in that mood somewhat. People don't realize we do need to be somewhat competitive you never know how long some highs are going to last for people or when our chance is going to come. The West is wide open this year. I would only agree if Holland had mortgaged any of our firsts but all of those acquisitions were low cost (people do overvalue picks to some degree). Also Green is going to be on the team on the 3rd pairing I don't mind seeing what we get out of him but that still is kinda confusing but I wouldn't say it was bad either. We still will be able to make some decent pick ups for our forward group in the draft.

Sure we need to restock forward depth but we still have our first. JP can be dealt for more picks. Look I am happy if we just make the playoffs but the team shouldn't be thinking in that manner nor Holland. They should be going into the playoffs with the goal of making it to the WCF at minimum if not the SCF. We almost did with what I would argue was a weaker roster and a more competitive West.

Trades like this do make our roster better on paper not going to act like AA doesn't have some big questions along with his offensive and speed potential or Ennis is going to really be that much for us or that Green is going to be that effective but a bunch of 2nds are going to be years out from being effective likely and more than likely they will just be AHL depth or out of the league. We need a good forward depth group but we aren't going to establish it for awhile. This team needs to be competitive now and into the future.

Last edited:

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017

To be fair I think he knows he can recoup quite a bit of that draft stock with Poolparty, Russell, Khaira (hopefully), and even possibly AA next year. I don't see how this guys value doesn't increase even if he's not a perfect fit within a year, assuming he resigns.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
For intent, probably a 4.5 or so. He nailed it. If AA and Ennis play well here, a 5. Here we go...

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
8/10

would have been 10/10 if he managed to make one of the picks from AA trade a conditional to conference finals

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Pretty nice TDL.

Gone are the days of "Jared Smithson" being our big acquisition lol

a bit of an overpay of AA I think, but he made up for it with the other deals. and AA could be a nice fit here forsure

Reactions: McDavidMasterRace

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
That was wild. I did not expect that. I am so happy.

Of coarse the usual people are complaining but what’s new.

Imagine once our injuries get back? Look out league.

Reactions: B33K33PING

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ill add another consideration: Oilers fans have seen first hand that when a team is historically bad, the players get dejected and stats get thrown off by this. How many times have we seen an Oiler get traded to a playoff team and suddenly look better. These players get a shot in the arm and play with some motivation.

Who knows if itll happen here, but i have seen it to many times where its like "meh, this player doesnt have much left" then goes out and impresses in a short stint with the new team and has a bounce back performance

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He did what he said he was going to do.

He didn't pay a premium for rentals. And he paid decent value for a young player under team control beyond this season. Stauffer alluded to the likelihood those two 2nds probably get recouped at the draft in a JP deal.

Jury's out but we're a better team today.

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Ill add another consideration: Oilers fans have seen first hand that when a team is historically bad, the players get dejected and stats get thrown off by this. How many times have we seen an Oiler get traded to a playoff team and suddenly look better. These players get a shot in the arm and play with some motivation.

Who knows if itll happen here, but i have seen it to many times where its like "meh, this player doesnt have much left" then goes out and impresses in a short stint with the new team and has a bounce back performance

AA's analytics suggest he'll benefit away from a bad team. Green probably less so, he basically is what he is at this point.

Reactions: SecretOilersFan

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Not a big fan of voting the paper results of the trade. However, I think there has been very little done by Holland, up to and including the trade deadline, that I would call reactionary. In his first presser, he talked about being a grinder and I think that is a good descriptor for how he has added depth.

I also suspect there is a stronger partnership between GM and head coach than we have seen for some time in Edmonton.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
I mean again if people are that worried for what we paid go look at TBL or NYI. There wasn't that many options up for sale and the TDL is basically all about these small or low risk low reward decisions. Be happy Holland didn't buy high

Reactions: Porkleaker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad