Post-Game Talk: Rate how Holland did today

Rate how Holland did today

• 0 - A Kenbellini TDL. Nothing significant

• 1 - Could have done waaaay better

• 2 - Decent players but price too high

• 3 - Meh - Not bad, not great.

• 4 - A very good day for the Oilers

• 5 - Holland killed it today. Suck it Flames.

Results are only viewable after voting.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The part I like about it is Holland can recoup the picks he traded in the off season with some of JP, Khaira, Russell, Benning and perhaps Chaisson and PRussell. He traded Lucic so I can easily see a deal where he even moves Neal this summer.

AA is an RFA. He has made overtures to Slepyshev. Signing Sheahan and Archi in near future. Can always resign Green and Ennis if they pan out for a good price so all this really addresses depth and gives Holland plenty more bullets in the gun and future options for him to use.

I think we are heading for the playoffs and I can’t wait to see what Holland adds this draft, free agency and this summer.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
I went with #3, because I'm somewhere between 3 and 4. Better than "meh", but not exactly "very good". I'd just say a "good" deadline until we see how the acquisitions turn out.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Based on 18/19 NHL stats... for a full 82 game pace...

Added Athanasiou ~58 pts
Added Green ~50 pts
Added Ennis ~29 pts
Subtracted Gagner ~33 pts

Basically a net addition of over 100 pts added to the Oilers roster (again based on 18/19 full 82 game season paces).

This team was already headed towards a ~100 point season and now they have another potentially ~100 pts of offense added into the roster (nets out to a little less because the players they will replace have some offensive production as well.... but obviously anything that reduces ice time for depth players like PRussell/Khaira/Cave etc is a good thing).

On defense, obviously Green has more offensive upside than players like Lagesson/KRussell/Benning so the offensive upside to his addition to the roster is substantial.

Overall these additions have taken this team from a team on pace to make the playoffs to potentially being a team that actually can make some real progress in the playoffs.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
4/5. These guys could all end up being useless, but chances are they will contribute.

I'm worried about AA's lack of defense but we shall see.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I figured everyone here would know what we got and gave up. It is the Oiler forum after all. ;)
I've been busy getting boxed in by something that starts to feel like quarantine for the Coronavirus these last days. Couldn't really pay that much attention to hockey.

Edit: sounds a bit dramatic maybe, it's not. Just a pain...

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Not Canada Drai

♧ Lem
Jul 7, 2019
Edmonton
Pretty good considering the cap space we have. AA is kind of dicey IMO but I'm sure our leadership group will help him be more consistent and pay attention to defensive detail more. I don't think they mind if another player wants to play creative and offensive hockey though.

He didn't give up a whole draft for Pageau and sign him to 6/5 so I call that a win.

Reactions: GRadio

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
Good job Kenny...but I feel sorry for Gags...I hope they bring him back next year as 13th forward.

Reactions: ujju2

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Are you kidding? It’s Mike f*ckin Green, he ran Ovechkin’s power play.
Time changes things it's been 5 years since he was playing for Washington, starting in 13/14 John Carlson started getting better production than him on the PP per minute played and began to eat into his PP minutes. In Green's last 2 years in Detroit the PP QB has been more of a communal role shared by a grab bag of D seems like 2 of the one's at the forefront taking minutes off of Green are Dennis Cholowski and Filip Hronek, both seem to be doing that role better than him.

I looked around at some old (now retired) D to see if it is common for formerly dominant PP d-men to fall off in their early 30's and in the vast majority of cases they were still producing at a good clip into their mid-30's, not sure why Green's decline began earlier than the norm.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
4/5 - Love the trades, but I would also have moved out Jesse, Benning and Chiasson to recover some of the picks we lost and clear cap for the summer.

We may have painted ourselves in a corner with this year’s bonuses hitting the cap next season and also not able to bring Russell off LTIR until the playoffs.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I voted 4 but I have some doubts about Athanasiou. I hope he works out with Connor, but I would not be surprised if he turns out to be a bad fit there.
In which case I really hope Tippett finds a place for him where he can still contribute.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Thats news to me. I thought holland had said no one asked about him.

If that’s the truth, he likely meant towards the deadline. Which makes sense, because Puljujarvi couldn’t play this season anyway, so why would a team ask about him? It’s always seemed like more of an offseason move.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Time changes things it's been 5 years since he was playing for Washington, starting in 13/14 John Carlson started getting better production than him on the PP per minute played and began to eat into his PP minutes. In Green's last 2 years in Detroit the PP QB has been more of a communal role shared by a grab bag of D seems like 2 of the one's at the forefront taking minutes off of Green are Dennis Cholowski and Filip Hronek, both seem to be doing that role better than him.

I looked around at some old (now retired) D to see if it is common for formerly dominant PP d-men to fall off in their early 30's and in the vast majority of cases they were still producing at a good clip into their mid-30's, not sure why Green's decline began earlier than the norm.
There is something to be said about Detroit's PP. They've been really bad for a while now, last decent season for that PP was 15/16 (last season with Datsyuk). Since then they're bottom 5 in the league in PP% and PP GF/GP.

I for one am very interested to see him getting some PP time here. He could very well be the best option and switching the one D on our PP to a righty would lineup well with Bear/Bouchard going forward.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Fairly happy with the acquisitions.

green is a guy who can rotate in/out on the third pairing. He’s far from the prime Green of years past, but still brings in a puck moving element we’re still lacking.

AA is a bit of a question mark and we did pay a lot for him, but we also retain control for awhile. I’m curious to see how he does and how fast he actually is.

Ennis is a decent depth piece that cost next to nothing.

phaedrusDH

Jul 6, 2009

because Carlson is one of the best in the league, and Detroit is in development mode?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I remember thinking right after the AA deal "I don't won't to bet it all on one horse, I hope we still get Ennis as a backup of AA doesn't click with Connor"

Holland had the same thought.

Look. This might work, this might not. But finally, a manager who has faith in his coach and players. Connor and Leon deserve to be rewarded for their hard work.

The players who have exhausted themselves punching above their weight class through these injuries, deserve the relief in knowing that reinforcements are coming.

Thank you Ken!!

Reactions: TB12 and oilexport

phaedrusDH

Jul 6, 2009
4/5 - Love the trades, but I would also have moved out Jesse, Benning and Chiasson to recover some of the picks we lost and clear cap for the summer.
what's the rush? trade them in the summer. you need depth for the playoffs.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
The only thing I'm worried about heading into the playoffs is our LHD depth. I have no idea what the market is like for a #5/6 LHD, though. And sounds like Holland tried to make something happen but a deal wasn't there, so I don't hold it against him.

As for AA, we pretty much got the best deal for an offensive player at the deadline of any team. When Coleman goes for two 1st round picks, Goodrow goes for a first, Trochek goes for a pile of NHLers, Pageau goes for a 1st/2nd/3rd it becomes clear that AA for two 2nds is actually incredible value.

Sure, AA might not be the player we all want him to be, but if Calgary had got him we would all be complaining that he'd be the perfect fit here. Let's at least give him 20 games before we start judging him. He could be an unreal fit, and at the very worst is better than PRussell/Khaira/Chiasson and some of the other wingers he'll push down/out of the lineup.

I give Holland a 4.5/5. There's not much more he could have done with the cap space and asset management imo.

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
Compared to what we're used to I give Holland a 5. He filled some badly needed holes that give us depth and a definite top 6 winger to play with McDavid. It could've been better sure, but that's when expectations are simply too high. Suck it Flames

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Weird wording for the poll.. if I didn't see the numbers I would've thought 3 and 2 were swapped.

I chose 3, I think he did good to address some of the holes on this team (top 6 winger, bottom 6 winger, depth D), not as confident the players he chose were the right choice to do so though..

Its weird, I feel like his Detroit connection both benefited us terms of value but also hurt us cause I feel he honed in on what he knew instead of looking around the market a bit more.

I just wish he brought in one more guy that could PK (*cough* Connor Brown *cough*), cause I'm still pretty sure we are going to see Khaira on this roster when healthy because of that reason unless Tippett finds another player not named Draisaitl he trusts on the pk

dhawken

Jul 6, 2006
Michigan
I'm gonna give this a 4 now, withhold judgement on next year til after AA's performance and next contract. Could be years of conditioning on Oiler luck and watching Holland in Detroit, but I'm expecting AA to kick out the jams this year, get signed to big money for too long, then disappear next year..... Forgive my pessimism, but at least we'll have this year!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->