Post-Game Talk: Rate how Holland did today

Rate how Holland did today

• 0 - A Kenbellini TDL. Nothing significant

• 1 - Could have done waaaay better

• 2 - Decent players but price too high

• 3 - Meh - Not bad, not great.

• 4 - A very good day for the Oilers

• 5 - Holland killed it today. Suck it Flames.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Holland did a post-deadline interview on Tim and Sid. It's actually surprisingly good stuff. (EDIT: Tim and Sid asked some really good questions.)

Interview linked in article below:

NHL Trade Deadline winners and losers: What are the Panthers doing? - Sportsnet.ca

Yep. Carolina are just huge winners at TDL. Hope they can make it. They slap Toronto silly with a Zamboni driver in net, have a very good record, and need all kinds of breaks just to get a wild card spot. Hope they make it. WTF are Florida doing though? jebus what awful management. Is that franchise even going to survive with all the bad decisions?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Teams that go far int he playoffs rarely make big splashes at the TDL. So I am not sure Id go as far as to say the team that acquires the best rental players is the automatic winner. Alot of winners turn out ot be the teams that add the best fit, even if that player isnt the more talented player traded

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
I don't really understand the confusion with the Mike Green trade? I keep reading "The Mike Green trade makes no sense/The Green trade really confuses me"

I would understand that sentiment if it had hindered us from adding a forward, guess what? it didn't.

The reasoning is clear as day, we're in the middle of a playoff chase with 3 ROOKIE d-men in the lineup! Yes they've performed reasonable, yes Klefbom SHOULD be back soon, yes Russell will hopefully be back for playoffs. But right now we are a Klefbom setback and a Nurse/Larsson injury away from being forced to dress 4 rookie d-men. Benning's clearly had head issues, Klefbom's not back yet, and can both Jones and Lagesson elevate to the moment? this is dicey water to be treading this thin on the back end.

Ken Holland smartly recognized that this stretch drive, plus the playoffs, are going to be incredibly tough games on a fairly green group, that has also had health issues. Adding depth, especially a veteran presence with playoff experience, is an absolute no brainer and all it cost was a 4th and cap space (3rd worst case scenario, although I doubt we will hear much whining if we are in the top 4).

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Mike Green was on pace for ~50 pts lasts season on a Detroit team that was actually under the NHL average in goals per game... and this season the Dead Wings are a historically bad offensive team... so it's hard to judge players on that team in terms of their offensive output.

Green still has offense in his game... likely at least a notch (and probably even a couple notches) better than any other current Oilers dman and people here are going to be surprised/shocked to see what an actual puck moving dman can do for this roster. It adds that point shot dimension that I've been wanting on this team for ages and now FINALLY we get to see what that will add to the dynamics on this team going forward.

This is one of those "sum is larger than the parts trades" that puts specific players into specific roles that then makes a ripple down effect of having an overall better team because players won't have to be playing above their heads and they'll be better able to play in specific roles instead of trying to fill roles and situations they aren't suited for with more ice time than they should be eating as well..

Green
AA
Ennis
subtraction of Gagner

Watch how that all effects the overall roster... you have to look at the overall effect on every line/pairing because some of the effects will be subtle as well with TOI and situational usage modified for other players already on the roster.

This team is simply better now that it was before these trades went through.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
The worst trade was the Green one. I don't know how much he has left in the tank and IMO is not an upgrade on Bear on PP1 now, and definitely not going to start over Klef in a few weeks. His 5 on 5 stats are terrible this year.

Highest upside was the AA one but at a decently steep price. He is an RFA though so we can likely resign him to a not so expensive contract and trade him if he's not a great fit to recoup some value.

Ennis trade was an amazing value trade for a guy who can produce all throughout the lineup and even play 1st line with McDavid.

Rated it 4/5.
You can’t rate the Green trade without seeing him play. He was on pace for 50 points last year on a horrific team before his injury. He has a great first pass and a boom of a shot. According to Kenny, he hasn’t lost his speed

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Two short term rentals that can be re-signed (likely on the cheap) if they work out and a pending RFA who could be a potential home run.

For a forward on his way out, two 2nds and some lottery tickets.

Can't really see how he could have done better, especially considering that this is the time of year rival GMs jack their prices up considerably.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I like what he did. He went out and added some solid depth without sacrificing the farm for it. In general though I feel like these deadline pickups really rarely work out for teams and honestly a lot of the time seems to disrupt team chemistry more than anything. Very dubious if they have any positive effect at all. But obviously with Klefbom and now Yamamoto out we needed to add guys but otherwise I would probably have been content with just adding Ennis.

AA is an interesting pickup as he could be a long-term option, but I'm really not confident in him sticking around here for more than 2 seasons or so. I think he'll wear out his welcome pretty fast. But we need a winger and he's young and there's not many of them available. I'm sure Holland is aware that it's a gamble but it's one he's willing to take and frankly I probably would've been too, unless there was something else out there more enticing (which I assume there wasn't).

Reactions: Oilhawks

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
I’ve been pretty negative.
For the most part justified.

Wasn’t wild about the off season, other than ditching Looch.
Didn’t do enough for me.
No big mistakes, though.

Holland’s in season work has been ok.
A little too much money and term for Kassian, but not as bad as it could’ve been. Didn’t commit big money and term to Nurse.

The deadline was a pretty big win to me.

Added speed and skill. Actual nhl wingers!! One with a pretty high end upside.
Added a veteran puck moving right shot D.
Didn’t lose any high end assets.
They can recoup some picks at the draft with Pullijarvi and some slightly overpaid forwards.
Probably move Larsson or Benning.
Hopefully upgrade goaltending.

The Oilers made moves that made sense to me.
First time in a long time.
I like it.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
larrry.gif

Didn't hit a home run but two doubles and a single for sure. :)

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Are you able to post a couple of lines from the article? :D

Edmonton: No team did a better job at the deadline than the Oilers, in my opinion, addressing big needs in a year where there’s a legitimate path to the second round. That might be where this team ends, but that’s a win for a club that’s languished at the bottom of the league since its previous playoff run three seasons ago. And on a team with two of the best players in the world, you can’t count them out to go deeper either. This team’s biggest issue was their depth and that’s been addressed with the additions of Andreas Athanasiou, Tyler Ennis and Mike Green. Athanasiou is the big get and has huge upside paired with Connor McDavid as the fastest duo in the league (though it could also be one of the worst defensive duos in the league too), while Ennis brings scoring upside with the versatility to play anywhere in the lineup. He started last night on a line with McDavid and Athanasiou and the trio did not disappoint with two points apiece (McDavid added a third with the man advantage) and a 76 percent expected goals rate. Not a bad first impression.
Green isn’t what he used to be, but a puck-mover is sorely needed on that blue line which still looks pretty sketchy. None of it is enough to be a contender, but it adds another layer to the team outside its stars while giving their biggest one an actual weapon on his wing without sacrificing the team’s depth up the middle. I’m a big fan.
(After writing all that, Kailer Yamamoto was announced as week-to-week which puts a small dent in the Oilers making the playoffs, and subsequently winning it all).

Reactions: guymez and Oilhawks

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
4. Great feeling for me to see these moves at deadline. AA and TE provide everything we could have asked for. Green is a good addition as well.

Goaltending is the big question now.

I'm hoping for a cup run ! Ya !

space321

May 11, 2011
4. Great feeling for me to see these moves at deadline. AA and TE provide everything we could have asked for. Green is a good addition as well.

Goaltending is the big question now.

I'm hoping for a cup run ! Ya !

We asked for a top 6 winger for McDavid, neither AA or Ennis really provides that imo

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Teams that go far int he playoffs rarely make big splashes at the TDL. So I am not sure Id go as far as to say the team that acquires the best rental players is the automatic winner. Alot of winners turn out ot be the teams that add the best fit, even if that player isnt the more talented player traded
Best part is we didn’t acquire the “best rental players”. We traded a 4th and 5th for rental players and hopefully addressed a long term need for a top 6 winger, who’s under team protection for 2 more years as an RFA

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
So....rate how Holland did today.

I put the 0 in to identify the trolls.

I stared long and hard at point #5 because it seemed to combine a legit question with a universal sentiment (suck it Flames). Because it goes without saying, there really is no need to vote for it.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad