Rate Dubas At The Trade Deadline

How would you rate Dubas' performance leading up to the trade deadline?

• Total voters

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
They are working on a contract with Amirov right now. Thats great.
I noticed the cap remaining would allow Andersen to come off of LTIR approximately in 2 weeks time if I understand the cap correctly. Which I entirely might not?
Solid job and when the team becomes a legitimate contender as they have, losing draft pick are not concerning. They become the cost of doing business. Covered all the depth basis. Foligno be acquired is a huge trade for my personal perspective. I believe he brings confidence,good spirit and competitiveness to a very high degree. Nash is a pick up i like for the improvement he adds on the defensive side of the puck too. Both Nick & Nask kill penalties also. I look forward to the intensity they might exhibit on that.

All the acquisitions fit nicely to a already solid defensively structured team they have become before these adds. I like it lots.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Top 9 winger (two if you want to count the Galy trade from earlier), backup goalie, a 4C, and a D man and the 2nd most valuable asset the Leafs gave up was a 3rd round pick. Probably the best Leafs tdl we've seen in a while

I don't think there was a single other piece I'm envious about going to another team. Savard maybe would have been nice, but not at that price.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
D...and F...and G. ;) I definitely like the looks of it on paper. Hopefully it all comes together to produce an A on the ice.

Reactions: ToneDog

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I would say "B" he did everything he could do to help the team win. Got the depth C, got the battle winger, depth D and platoon goalie. It will be upgraded to an "A" if they do win, since results matter.

Cecithepylon

May 4, 2017
Galy-Matthews Marner
Foglino-Tavares-Hyman
Robertson-nylander-Spezza
Mik-Nash-Simmonds

1st scores
2nd grit and grind
3rd secret weapon
4th shutdown

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
B+

Love that he addressed every area of need, thought Foligno was a good target, although the price to acquire was steep. Glad he stayed away from Hall or guys of that ilk. Like Hutton, wanted Oleksiak, like Rittich, wouldve preferred one of Columbus' goalies. Nash was perfect.

Basically he did what I wanted, but not how I wanted him to do it.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
Galy-Matthews Marner
Foglino-Tavares-Hyman
Mik-Nash-Simmonds

1st scores
2nd grit and grind
3rd secret weapon
4th shutdown
Based on what I have seen of Robertson, he is not yet ready for playoff hockey. Let him finish the year with the Marlies, have another summer to train, and we'll see in the fall if he is able to make the squad for next season.

Reactions: ACC1224

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Silly take considering every team has to overpay at the deadline to get what they want. There’s a reason all the top contenders were in on foligno
yea , that was a cool back story to the trade just like there's a cool back story spin to every other move the team makes

and not every team overpaid yesterday

Reactions: Kurtz

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Those saying he overpaid for Foligno are probably the same people whining about lack of toughness. Other teams were also willing to pay a 1st and Foligno was able to choose where he wanted to go.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Solid B.

All legit good moves but nothing spectacularly great.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Every move that Dubas made was with purpose, while keeping all top end prospects, staying under the cap, and not touching core of roster.

We needed a top 6 winger with grit. We got Foligno who not only provides grit but leadership.

We needed a 3rd/4th line center that is great defensively/PK. We got Nash.

We needed a depth dman. We got Hutton.

We needed goaltender insurance. We got Rittich.

What else could we have expected him to do. Its an A+ all around.

Reactions: ToneDog and Lumberg

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
How can anyone complain - filled all the needs/wants without giving up a roster player (other than Barabanov) and any prospects, all while being capped out (along with so many other teams). This is a solid, gritty, tough to play against team, built for a playoff run.

Reactions: Lumberg

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I think whether he got the exact player you wanted or not, we all have to agree he addressed the needs.

Overpaid for Foligno but that is the price of being a contender.

Only have 6 of our next 14 picks, but in 2020 if you include Hallander, he essentially drafted 13 players.

Still have all of our top prospects.

You can nitpick here or there, especially if you don't like him. At this point, it's on the players going forward.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
I have him an A- as he definitely shored up weak points on the team while losing basically nothing (our farm isn’t empty and that European pipeline makes up for whatever we lack in draft picks) fact is for the first time in a LONG time we are a truly desirable place to play...he could have done marginally better as could anyone as nobody is perfect but he did as well as I could have hoped for based on our cap structure and the availability in the trade market...glad he didn’t pursue Taylor hall as the guy seems to be a diva and cancer in a room (here’s hoping he adds that cancer to Boston) he is learning quickly and I think he is going to be a phenomenal GM through his career as he isn’t opposed to changing his thought process on the fly

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Galy-Matthews Marner
Foglino-Tavares-Hyman
Mik-Nash-Simmonds

1st scores
2nd grit and grind
3rd secret weapon
4th shutdown

Like your thought process but in my eyes

Gally Matty Marner
Foligno Tavares Willy
Hyman Kerfoot Mik
Spezza Nash Simmonds
Engvall

Reilly Brodie
Muzz Holl
Bogo Dermott
Hutton
Lillegren/Sandin

Campbell
BSD
Freddie

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
B+/A-

Hit on basically every need though costs can vary depending on how you view Foligno

I wish we got Zadarov/Oleksiak vs Hutton but still happy he saw the need for a depth d-men and addressed it.

I wanted Hall but it's pretty clear he didn't want to come and forced his way to Boston.

We got tougher, better defensively, and added depth. Liked the deadline like o liked the Offseaso

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Galchenyuk Matthews Marner
Foligno Tavares Nylander
Hyman Kerfoot Mikheyev
Simmonds Nash Spezza

Rielly Brodie
Muzzin Holl
Hutton/Dermott Bogosian

Campbell
Rittich

I like this lineup. Well balanced

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Can't rate him until Foligno plays at least 1 game IMO. I like the steps but we won't honestly know if they were enough until we get into the playoffs. They don't need to win the Cup for the TDL to have been a success as that falls on the existing core players, not the adds. After watching Campbell's recent play the Rittich deal looks extremely good as they aren't an injury away from rolling with Hutch in the playoffs. Its a deep team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad