Rate Dubas At The Trade Deadline

How would you rate Dubas' performance leading up to the trade deadline?

• Total voters

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Or we lose game 7 off a Hall turnover and everyone here has a meltdown about Dubas obsessing with no-heart skill and ignoring physical leaders like Foligno.
it's impossible to predict plays like that, which is why you have to go after the best player with the most positive potential impact. Hall was much more likely to be a valuable contributor than Foligno, and went for a lower price. It was a massive blunder

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Look at the Kyle fan club in full force not a clue what a gm is They just in love with because he wears glasses And tries to look smart this should be renamed who would go on a date with Kyle no wonder there’s never no change this team throws things off the wall see if it’ll stick and does Drink up the Kool-Aid

Let’s be honest - - Dubas is a little kid with ZERO experience who relies heavily - - exclusively? - - on obscure statistics to build a team in order to compensate for his lack of experience and inability to assess talent.

I get the sense those who cheer any and every move he makes as being a “brilliant move” are hoping he somehow miraculously builds a championship team and paved the way for other inexperienced little kids to become NHL GMs just by studying a bunch of statistics.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
it's impossible to predict plays like that, which is why you have to go after the best player with the most positive potential impact. Hall was much more likely to be a valuable contributor than Foligno, and went for a lower price. It was a massive blunder

We're talking about the same Hall that had 2 goals at the deadline right? The perennial loser with almost no playoff experience and a long list of injuries and attitude issues?

I get that he has high upside but don't pretend he was a slam dunk because he's doing ok for a round and a half in Boston. That move had a lot of potential to blow up in our faces. Playing with a core of seasoned winners with no media scrutiny isn't a luxury we had for him.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
We're talking about the same Hall that had 2 goals at the deadline right? The perennial loser with almost no playoff experience and a long list of injuries and attitude issues?
I get that he has high upside but don't pretend he was a slam dunk because he's doing ok for a round and a half in Boston. That move had a lot of potential to blow up in our faces. Playing with a core of seasoned winners with no media scrutiny isn't a luxury we had for him.

So, are you saying it is better to go after a bunch of over the hill, slow, talentless injured players? The right move was to do nothing, because right now we are worse off than if nothing had been done.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
That’s the day before the trade. I’m curious why reporters aren’t asking these questions. Dreger said he wasn’t right since coming to TO, if true, the price is outrageous and a major blemish on Dubas.

Are you? Are you really surprised the media shills in Toronto didn’t hold the Three Stooges running the Leafs accountable?

Even the fan base was completely oblivious to the fact the trades for damaged goods.

It’s like willful blindness.

Reactions: Garthinater

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

Foligno is not exactly a playoff success story. He has 5 playoff goals and 1 (or 2 if you count the play-in round) series win to his name in 15 years. Even Hall has more postseason goals than that, and he's only made the playoffs 3 times.

I don't think anyone is saying that Hall was a slam dunk, or that Dubas is the only GM who dropped the ball. But he was obviously not a 2 goal caliber player and a GM like Dubas should have been all over the elite player who had severely deflated value due to poor shooting luck and being stuck on a terrible Buffalo team. it has nothing to do with hindsight and seeing him do well in Boston, it was clearly the move to make at the time

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
The only positive that remains true today as it did on trade deadline day is that Dubas didn’t take away from our prospect pool, which is better ranked than 20th btw.

The draft capital that went out the door is awful though. At least when a 1st was traded for Muzzin he had another year on his deal and we had a real chance of re-signing him and getting prime years from him. Renting an injured, over the hill Foligno for a first in comparison is vomit inducing.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
So, are you saying it is better to go after a bunch of over the hill, slow, talentless injured players? The right move was to do nothing, because right now we are worse off than if nothing had been done.

That's true for every GM that doesn't win the cup and buys rentals.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

Not sure if you’re watching Boston at all but Hall is actually backchecking well all playoffs and causing turnovers with his speed.

There were two differences between Hall and Foligno at the deadline. First, Hall was healthy, Foligno was not. And secondly, Hall is an elite talent, Foligno is not and never was.

Paying a 1st for Foligno is a major fail by Doobler and the fact that he missed out on a very available Hall in the process makes it even worse.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Funnily enough, I was personally interested in getting Hall prior to the tdl. Though I'd say the number of people who felt similarly was pretty small around here - he was definitely not seen by most as an attractive asset, likely due to his scoring slump/awful season and for others it seemed like they didn't want another skilled winger (or even his own injury history)

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Foligno is not exactly a playoff success story. He has 5 playoff goals and 1 (or 2 if you count the play-in round) series win to his name in 15 years. Even Hall has more postseason goals than that, and he's only made the playoffs 3 times.

I don't think anyone is saying that Hall was a slam dunk, or that Dubas is the only GM who dropped the ball. But he was obviously not a 2 goal caliber player and a GM like Dubas should have been all over the elite player who had severely deflated value due to poor shooting luck and being stuck on a terrible Buffalo team. it has nothing to do with hindsight and seeing him do well in Boston, it was clearly the move to make at the time

Foligno was obviously injured and probably should have been scratched from the lineup. If he was injured at the time of the trade then Dubas got fleeced but I haven't seen anyone confirm that.

A healthy Foligno would've been a significant contributor.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Not sure if you’re watching Boston at all but Hall is actually backchecking well all playoffs and causing turnovers with his speed.

There were two differences between Hall and Foligno at the deadline. First, Hall was healthy, Foligno was not. And secondly, Hall is an elite talent, Foligno is not and never was.

Paying a 1st for Foligno is a major fail by Doobler and the fact that he missed out on a very available Hall in the process makes it even worse.
This is all in hindsight. If Leafs is still playing, this will even be a conversation.
Heck if the Leafs win the Cup, who cares what they gave up at the TDL.
Dubas and anyone for that matters could not predict AM and Marner disappearing against the Habs in the playoffs.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
If he was injured at the time of the trade then Dubas got fleeced but I haven't seen anyone confirm that.

Do you follow hockey at all? Or just rely on this message board for all of your information?

3340C801-3F8B-40A3-A4D2-3E46F5AC49BC.jpeg

Reactions: Garthinater

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
This is all in hindsight. If Leafs is still playing, this will even be a conversation.
Heck if the Leafs win the Cup, who cares what they gave up at the TDL.
Dubas and anyone for that matters could not predict AM and Marner disappearing against the Habs in the playoffs.

It’s not hindsight check out my post on the first page of this thread. I gave him a “D” from the start.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I thought he did a decent job at the time but way overpaid for Foligno. Who knew Matthews and Marner would decide putting in effort during the playoffs wasn’t necessary though. Can’t do shit when 22 million dollars of your cap is useless though it’s his own fault we’re in this position in the first place.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Would you rather have Hyman at $5m or a guy like Corey Perry at $0.75m?

This team desperately needs proven playoff performers who play with a chip on their shoulder - - NOT a try-hard plugger who always disappoints in the playoffs.

Give me two Corey Perry type players PLUS $4m in cap space instead of Hyman.

THAT’S how you build a championship team.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
I find it very hard to blame Dubas for his moves. He brought in known players with proven track records to insulate one of the most talented elite cores in the league. In retrospect (and with reports that he was already injured) the Foligno trade was an overpayment but it's still the right type of guy to get for a deep run. It wasnt the guys Dubas brought in that failed the team it was that elite core not stepping up when it mattered. That's not on the GM that's on the players and to a lesser degree the coach (for failing to avoid the Danault matchup by splitting 16 and 34 or changing up the powerplay). If they get one or 2 goals from Matthews or Marner they win the series. It was that close.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
I find it very hard to blame Dubas for his moves. He brought in known players with proven track records to insulate one of the most talented elite cores in the league. In retrospect (and with reports that he was already injured) the Foligno trade was an overpayment but it's still the right type of guy to get for a deep run. It wasnt the guys Dubas brought in that failed the team it was that elite core not stepping up when it mattered. That's not on the GM that's on the players and to a lesser degree the coach (for failing to avoid the Danault matchup by splitting 16 and 34 or changing up the powerplay). If they get one or 2 goals from Matthews or Marner they win the series. It was that close.

Foligno was obviously damaged goods when Dubas foolishly gave up a trio of picks for him.

WTF has Foligno ever done in the post season to make anyone think he could lead this team?

Nine years in the post season and Foligno’s team has advanced past the first round ONCE.

Almost as bad as lifetime loser Joe Thornton.

Last edited:

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015

Dubas is the one who paid matthews and marner like they were cup winners before they had made it out the first round.

If they had reasonable deals, our depth wouldn't have the corpse of Joe Thornton and simmonds.

At the end of the day the gm is responsible for the results of the team.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Dubas is the one who paid matthews and marner like they were cup winners before they had made it out the first round.

If they had reasonable deals, our depth wouldn't have the corpse of Joe Thornton and simmonds.

At the end of the day the gm is responsible for the results of the team.
It’s funny how people blame Simmonds/Thornton/etc for failing, forgetting who brought them in.

And as you say, why, because he gave away all our depth.
Can and will should be done. The experiment was tried and has failed.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
A first for muzzin ..ok
A second for plekanic (sp)
A second for boyle
A first for foligno
Not to mention the other later picks.
That’s how you build a winner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad