Rate Dubas At The Trade Deadline

How would you rate Dubas' performance leading up to the trade deadline?

• Total voters

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
If you think his trade deadline acquisitions, or lack of acquisitions are the reason we lost the series I dunno what to tell you. We lost because of 34 and 16 not wanting to show up for 7 games. We didn't lose because of Foligno or Nash. Literally everybody did their job except those 2. I give Sandin a pass because of how young he is, the expectations for him were low. If those 2 even showed up for 1 game we easily win the series.

In hindsight when seeing the result, is a 1st rounder worth a 1st round playoff exit ? Absolutely not, but adding Foligno to this team was the right choice. Not his fault 34/16 didn't wanna play, or him getting that random leg injury.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PhiladelphiaKessel

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
IT doesn't matter what Dubie does at the deadline. If Marner and Matthews don't develop a killer instinct, we are f***ed
It will make sure we have no draft picks. Because using picks to get teams to retain all the salary is the only way Dubas can make these deadline deals.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
At the time he made all the right moves. You can argue about the Foligno trade not worth it but he was the type of player we needed.

Hindsight being 20/20 yeah it turned out bad but at the time but he got what we needed. Can’t hold that against him. If he did nothing everyone would be complaining at this result. Dubas deserves some hate but not for the trade deadline moves.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
If you think his trade deadline acquisitions, or lack of acquisitions are the reason we lost the series I dunno what to tell you. We lost because of 34 and 16 not wanting to show up for 7 games. We didn't lose because of Foligno or Nash. Literally everybody did their job except those 2. I give Sandin a pass because of how young he is, the expectations for him were low. If those 2 even showed up for 1 game we easily win the series.

In hindsight when seeing the result, is a 1st rounder worth a 1st round playoff exit ? Absolutely not, but adding Foligno to this team was the right choice. Not his fault 34/16 didn't wanna play, or him getting that random leg injury.

In general, paying a 1st for a rental rarely is worth it... Especially for a depth guy like Foligno. It was a bad idea from the start, barring Foligno being a complete gamebreaker (which he has not been for 5+ years).

He made some moves that went against his philosophy and they all blew up in his face hard. The moves that worked out well (i.e. signing Brodie) were following his original philosophy. He tried too hard to find intangibles and ended up just having guys with no skill and his top guys sucking anyways.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Gave him a F, hindsight being 20/20 and all........
Dubas is the one enabling.
He’s paying these guys like they’ve won 3 Cups and giving up 1st rounders and assets like he was the Penguins trying to get Crosby/Malkin one more at playoff time.

When he has never won a round. When this core has actually playoff regressed.

Reactions: rumman and ToneDog

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Would have been A until I found out Folignos injury was known to all parties. Now its a C at best. Would rather have had a top four defenceman.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Nash was a good move. We just didn’t advance enough to get him play time.
Hutton was a depth move bc Bogo got hurt and if there is another injury it will either be TL and most likely Marincin playing in the Top 6.
Big Save Dave was brought in bc of Andersen as we really don’t want to have Hutch as backup in the playoffs esp since Campbell seems a bit injury prone.
Nick was a good pickup, as long as we make it deep into the playoffs.

Can’t blame Dubas for those moves bc nobody in the World can predict that Marner will be a no show after being 4th in the league in scoring and AM only scored ONE goal after winning the Rocket.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
In general, paying a 1st for a rental rarely is worth it... Especially for a depth guy like Foligno. It was a bad idea from the start, barring Foligno being a complete gamebreaker (which he has not been for 5+ years).

He made some moves that went against his philosophy and they all blew up in his face hard. The moves that worked out well (i.e. signing Brodie) were following his original philosophy. He tried too hard to find intangibles and ended up just having guys with no skill and his top guys sucking anyways.

The belief here was that we were a couple pieces away from being a real contender, so I understand why he made the move for Foligno. If not us, someone else would've paid that price for him. You generally have to over-pay at the deadline to take a shot at the cup. He was brought in to basically be Hyman 2.0 for the top 6. He had that random hamstring injury in the season and then in the playoffs. We lost in the first round obviously, so was it worth giving up a 1st ? No. Then again if 34/16 played the way they are capable of playing, we don't lose the 1st and we actually have a chance to make a deep run.

The value of the 1st rounder vs Foligno has been determined by the play of our top 2 forwards. It wasn't so much that the deadline deals blew up in his face, it was his two 11m dollar guys not showing up that blew up in his face. Had those 2 shown up, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now. We'd be talking Leafs/Jets. I still think he had a good deadline, this one is on the players. He re-tooled and gave them the best supporting cast we've had since I've been watching the Leafs. Everybody did their jobs. The defence was great, Campbell was phenomenal, the 2nd line was dominant, Spezza was especially good and the bottom 6 came to play. It was the top line that ultimately cost us the series, and injuries.

My conclusion. The deadline was good, the supporting cast was great, Marner/Matthews/Keefe were an F. They need to take responsibility here and I hope they all learn from it. We can talk about Galchenyuk/Dermott giveaways in OT, those were brutal, but if our top line had shown up in either of those games, that game never goes to OT in the first place.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
He did well. Keefe should of built around Nash/Spezza for all defensive zone starts. Instead Matthews was our go to for everything and he got burnt out by game 5

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The belief here was that we were a couple pieces away from being a real contender, so I understand why he made the move for Foligno. If not us, someone else would've paid that price for him. You generally have to over-pay at the deadline to take a shot at the cup. He was brought in to basically be Hyman 2.0 for the top 6. He had that random hamstring injury in the season and then in the playoffs. We lost in the first round obviously, so was it worth giving up a 1st ? No. Then again if 34/16 played the way they are capable of playing, we don't lose the 1st and we actually have a chance to make a deep run.

The value of the 1st rounder vs Foligno has been determined by the play of our top 2 forwards. It wasn't so much that the deadline deals blew up in his face, it was his two 11m dollar guys not showing up that blew up in his face. Had those 2 shown up, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now. We'd be talking Leafs/Jets. I still think he had a good deadline, this one is on the players. He re-tooled and gave them the best supporting cast we've had since I've been watching the Leafs. Everybody did their jobs. The defence was great, Campbell was phenomenal, the 2nd line was dominant, Spezza was especially good and the bottom 6 came to play. It was the top line that ultimately cost us the series, and injuries.

My conclusion. The deadline was good, the supporting cast was great, Marner/Matthews/Keefe were an F. They need to take responsibility here and I hope they all learn from it. We can talk about Galchenyuk/Dermott giveaways in OT, those were brutal, but if our top line had shown up in either of those games, that game never goes to OT in the first place.

Other teams can pay huge prices for rentals. Does not mean we should. It rarely ever works out, and Foligno was worth a 3rd or 4th round pick at the very most for what he brings on the ice. The rest was overpaying for intangibles and grit.

Only 3 of the last 10 Cup Winning teams gave up more than mid-round picks to acquire rentals (if they did anything at all) and there are not many more teams added to that list if you include Cup Finalists.

Foligno was never going to be the difference between us winning and losing, and then as you said, it really is up to our core guys or some weird bounces going for us more than against. He is not a core player, or even a high end role player, and hasn't been for a long time. He was never going to be Hyman 2.0, and if that is the expectation, he was set up to fail.

This year was a unique year because of expansion, so rentals more sense than other years, but spending assets on rentals is never a good idea unless they are nothing assets for depth guys or you are getting an amazing deal. Overpaying for rentals is a recipe for failure.

That Foligno trade was the first move I felt like had any kind of major consequence that Dubas truly messed up, and I was not wrong. Unsurprisingly, there were a lot of people who liked it even though they hated a lot of Dubas' other moves.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
I find it amazing how everything dubas does is apparently good - great for his fan club and yet we still keep losing.

They thought kadri for kerfoot and barrie was a massive win.

They thought sparks over mcback up made sense.

They thought we had an amazing team going into 2019-2020 lol

They think his signings are fine.

They say his trade deadline deserves an A.

Yet here we are with 3 first round loses (1 where we didn't even make the actual playoffs).

These same people detest lou and most think he's a terrible gm. Yet for the last 3 years, the islanders have won at least 1 series each year and are still fighting for the cup while we are once again golfing.

Its almost like they have a hard time separating facts and reality from emotion.

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Dubas filled in the holes unfortunately he was fooled by their regular season. Clearly he has not built a team capable of making a deep run. Played scared in another game #7 and folded once their goalie gave up a soft goal.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Tdl moves are fundamentally always evaluated by their impact in the playoffs..and following that, the front office opened themswlves up for a fair amount of justifiable criticisms given the amount of picks spent and ultimate lack of impact by the guys expired (especially the biggest move with Folingo).

There was still a reasonably sound logic for most of the moves. Replacement depth would have been needed if the team had gone on a longer run. Folingo was also the only "expensive" piece but the team (on paper) had need of another heavier forechecking/defensive presence in the top 9.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
I find it amuzing how everything dubas does is apparently good - great for his fan club and yet we still keep losing.

They thought kadri for kerfoot and barrie was a massive win.

They thought sparks over mcback up made sense.

They thought we had an amazing team going into 2019-2020 lol

They think his signings are fine.

They say his trade deadline deserves an A.

Yet here we are with 3 first round loses (1 where we didn't even make the actual playoffs).

These same people detest lou and most think he's a terrible gm. Yet for the last 3 years, the islanders have won at least 1 series each year and are still fighting for the cup while we are once again golfing.

Its almost like they have a hard time separating facts and reality from emotion.
- Kerfoot is better than Kadri
- He brought in Campbell
- Muzzin
- Tavares
- Brodie
- Galchenyuk
- Mikheyev

You don't trade a Calder Cup goaltender to keep a backup. He made the right decision at that time by keeping Sparks.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
34 and 16 lost us the series and cost us a deep run. Period.
I agree, but I still stand by Taylor Hall would have been better than Foligno regardless of injuries.

1. We had enough 'grit' 'intangibles' IMO
2. We KNEW Montreal as going to clog up the neutral zone and try to win a coin-flip game, so IMO adding elite talent should have been the move

I don't really have an issue with Rittich, Nash or Hutton.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Dubas filled in the holes unfortunately he was fooled by their regular season. Clearly he has not built a team capable of making a deep run. Played scared in another game #7 and folded once their goalie gave up a soft goal.
Everyone was fooled by 34 and 16.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I agree, but I still stand by Taylor Hall would have been better than Foligno regardless of injuries.

1. We had enough 'grit' 'intangibles' IMO
2. We KNEW Montreal as going to clog up the neutral zone and try to win a coin-flip game, so IMO adding elite talent should have been the move

I don't really have an issue with Rittich, Nash or Hutton.

Rumors say Hall forced a trade to Boston. He was never coming here. If anything Dubas missed on Bennett.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
Rumors say Hall forced a trade to Boston. He was never coming here. If anything Dubas missed on Bennett.

That was actually debunked in this piece:

"Leading up to the deadline, there were a couple teams that were interested, I'm not going to say who they were, but if it would have worked out, I would have gone there," he said. "I wasn't just holding out for Boston. I was eager to join a playoff team. I was eager to join somewhere that had good culture, and where winning was sustainable. Because I was looking for somewhere I could re-sign, not just the 20 games to end the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad