Rate Dubas At The Trade Deadline

How would you rate Dubas' performance leading up to the trade deadline?

• Total voters

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I'll give it a B as well. It's not like any top end wingers really available

Hoffman and Iafallo stayed out

Hall seems like wanted to go to Boston. I hope he can take his luck with him

With Foligno Gally and Nash. I like our bottom 6

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
It will be fun to look at who voted for what. Already seeing some other fan bases voting on the poll, just because they have nothing else better to do.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
- Galchenyuk has been a great fit with that Matthews/Marner line, and I think Foligno will be a terrific fit with Tavares/Nylander, which allows Hyman to drive the third line (and can obviously move up depending on the situation. It’s a great set up. Getting Foligno for similar value to what Mattias Janmark got traded for and arguably LESS than what Sam Bennett got is good business.

I think Dubas nailed the top 6 additions in terms of fit, which means no Thornton or Simmonds there again.

- In terms of depth, I think Riley Nash was a shrewd addition. Won’t be ready for the playoffs and who knows how much he’ll play if any, but he’s a quality depth player to have, in case of injury.

- Ben Hutton is a fine depth add as well. Nothing too crazy to talk about.

- I think Rittich is a solid addition. No quarantine, and he has some solid enough underlying options. I think there’s a strong chance he's extended in the 2-2.5M range to tandem with Campbell next year.

Overall, I’d do an A-. He met all of our needs. Only complaint is the preference to give up our 2nd instead of our 1st in the Foligno deal, but that’s pretty minor, ESPECIALLY with how good our second round drafting has appeared to be under Kyle Dubas (Hirvonen, Robertson, Durzi)

Reactions: stickty111

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Dubas got what he needed.

I'm not sure if anyone better than Rittich was available considering the major convenience of not having to quarantine and even better, on his way to Toronto to potentially be in the lineup tomorrow. I think Dubas really wanted someone the team can (hopefully) rely on to take the load off Campbell down the stretch.

Foligno is what the Leafs wanted. I was very disappointed when Coleman went to Tampa Bay as I thought he'd have been perfect for the Leafs. Any case, of what was available at the deadline he was the best bet for that Dubas wanted. Not going to lose sleep over what is very likely a very late first rounder in a chaotic draft year.

Hutton gives them an experienced d-man so the Leafs aren't throwing Liljegren or Sandin right into a playoff game if there's an injury. Nash and Noesen may never actually play a game for the Leafs unless there's injuries down the stretch or into the playoffs (in Nash's case).

And as others pointed out, no top prospects moved in the process. They have a pretty good collection of them now so being draft-light the next couple of seasons is something they can manage.

Edit (Forgot to mention): Dubas asked on Overdrive about Andersen's status and I found his response pretty telling: Freddie won't be back until the goalie is "150%" ready (I may have gotten the percentage wrong). He did not say anything that I heard about being optimistic it will happen before the season's over or that he'll return at all. In other words, he's been Lupuled. Or Robidas Islanded.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
I’ve seen comparisons to Dubas going full 2015 Alex Anthopolous but I like the comparisons to 2019 Masai Ujiri better. With Foligno being the equivalent to Marc Gasol.

Spargon

May 31, 2019
Easy A from me, as stated filled all the needs without losing anything of major value.

This Dubas praise still makes me feel like I fell into an alternate dimension. Was not very long ago there was so much hate and calling for his head and arguing over this team and it feels like this board has really started to come together. The riff-raff are either quiet, gone or converted.

Reactions: Lumberg and ToneDog

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Since the start of the year we’ve lost Lehtonen, Vesey, Boyd, Barabanov, and Dell, and replace them with Foligno, Nash, Galch, Hutton and Big Save Dave.

We’ve given our stars a solid supporting cast. It’s up to Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander and Mo now.

Reactions: Lumberg

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
A

kept our top prospects over this years magic beans
reinforced our depth in most positions
got another character guy.

now one can only hope hall causes the bruins to falter. with one of the rags or flyers catching them didnt realize they are both only 4 points back of the bs

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
B+

We're a far better team than we were 1 month ago. The Galchenyuk trade was top tier and incredibly good. I am not a fan of Foligno nor the price we paid to get him but he's a fine player and better than what we have.

Every other move was really good though. Hutton, Nash and Rittich give us very good depth.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Solid A
Haven't been this excited about our team in a long time
Foligno is an all-around player and adds lots of jam and will get in the face of anyone taking liberties.

Reactions: ToneDog

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
This is the deepest, most consistent team I have ever seen in the Blue and White. I hope their identity remains committed to a strong defensive team, front to back. Now with more grit, gamers and guys who don't like to lose.

All the additions to this team need to be is exactly what they are. Foligno brings a little extra in that he is a flexible player who does whatever is asked, whatever it takes, to win.

I'm hoping he does in T.O what his dad came close to doing (more closer than it looked, as that team was an underdog all playoffs but played with more heart than any team could muster), as that Cup Final against the Habs, in the 100 years anniversary of the NHL no less, would have been legendary (and Roy would have one fewer ring if it did, heh).

Reactions: Lumberg

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
A.

He has some balls, if nothing else.

There was no holding back. Every move is to win now.

If it fails the next year will be very miserable until next years playoffs roll around, and you've got to respect that. He's all in. Just like we would want the players and coaches to be. In that respect, he is rather leading the way. Do as I do, not just as I say.

He's torn a page out of the strategic management texts. Burn the boats is a main concept. Settle on your direction and go do it. Don't hedge your bets -- and he hasn't.

I don't think there's anything else he could have done to win now. Win or lose, its all on the table.

Go get 'em. GLG!

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Easy A.

Outside of him not picking up your personal pet preference player, there isn't much to complain about here. He's addressed just about every need we could have had, and while it's been beaten to death, we didn't lose any prospects. Not just our good ones, we didn't move any of them.

It's TBD how this team will work together and gel, and who will be in the lineup, but this looks solid to me. This team should have success, and he's given them the best opportunity to do that, in many years.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Made the team better, didn't give up any prospects. That's a win by definition.

I would have liked a bigger swing, but this team is undoubtedly better than it was before the deadline and all future pieces still intact.

A.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Double.

I hope Hutton crushes our opponents as well as he crushed HFboards servers today, sites still on the fritz

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->