Rate Dubas At The Trade Deadline

How would you rate Dubas' performance leading up to the trade deadline?

• Total voters

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
How would you rate Dubas' performance leading up to the trade deadline?

I think Dubas has done an excellent job addressing all the deficiencies on our roster and adding quality depth at our most vulnerable positions. He paid a premium for a significant addition in Foligno, but overall, this the best position we've been in going into the playoffs in about 20 years.

Discuss.

PeeBee78

Sep 18, 2009
T-Dot!
Lot of great adds here at the deadline to a solid core. I hope the team can "gel" in time. I also hope we have enough sandpaper for the playoffs.....hard to tell!

Tampa feels like the team to beat (maybe Colorado as a dark horse....).

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I think you can only really rate him relative to the teams around the league and what the market was. I hate the Foligno trade on its surface, but he was the 2nd best player moved and by far the most highly valued forward. He also added some good depth. He recognized the position the Leafs are in and went for it as best he could, so I don't think you can give him less than an A

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Definite A.

Leafs needed a top six LW, depth D (would have preferred two L&R) and depth G. Dubas acquired all of it.

Hes also set the leafs up nicely this summer to move in multiple direction should they fail in the playoffs.

Mentat

Sep 19, 2020
A-

Dubas adressed all our needs in a physical defensively responsable top6 winger, back up goalie, 4th line center and defensive depth. Even if we overpayed for Foligno AND traded almost all of this season´s draft picks, we lost no roster players and/or prospects in the process. A win in my book.
This was the year to go balls to the wall, since the draft is going to be a crap shoot and we have a solid chance to make out of the Division thus getting a real shot at the Cup.
Dubas delivered. Now it´s time for the boys to do the same.

Last edited:

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
B+/A-

Didn't overreach, continues to use LTIR as a tool, added depth at every position. I would've liked a more capable addition in net than Dave Rittich because as solid as Campbell's been I don't think for a second he's 100% healthy and the playoffs are a slog, but who knows what was actually available.

Reactions: BayStBullies

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Would have preferred a consistently mediocre back-up instead of a feast or famine Rittich but it's hard to complain about the roster we should have if we stay healthy. We should have enough ammo for another big addition next year without having to deplete our pipeline of ELC talent, especially if our mid-range prospects like Kral and Niemela take another step forward.

A-, would be an A+ with Ullmark or Oleksiak as our goalie/D upgrades assuming they came at reasonable pricetags.

The Blueprint

Dec 4, 2018
A+ mark for Dubas. I know fans have been frustrated with this guy for certain trades and contracts...

...But from where I'm sitting he's one of the best GM's in the league.

-Locked up young core
-Surrounded with complimentary skillsets
-Completely revamped our Blueline
-Depth for days at all positions
-Fully stocked prospect cupboard
-Not afraid to make big splashes at deadline or offseason

What a breath of fresh air.
No more glaring weaknesses for multiple seasons in a row with zero attempt at fixing the roster like the last few we had....

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Voted B, but I'd have it somewhere around B+/A-. I think we overpaid a touch for Foligno, but overall I'm happy with the deal and I think he's the kind of player who will justify the overpayment. A deep playoff run and we're going to forget all about that pick. Elsewhere, we made nice cheap additions to add depth to every position. Real happy with Rittich too. Doing all of that while keeping our prospects is some nice work.

To get an A I would have wanted to see a real swindle of some sorts, another "wow" factor, or keeping the first in the Foligno trade, but I guess that's me being a difficult grader. Ultimately, results in the playoffs are what will determine the success of this deadline, but for now I'm happy. Good job Dubas.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Voted B, but I'd have it somewhere around B+/A-. I think we overpaid a touch for Foligno, but overall I'm happy with the deal and I think he's the kind of player who will justify the overpayment. A deep playoff run and we're going to forget all about that pick. Elsewhere, we made nice cheap additions to add depth to every position. Real happy with Rittich too. Doing all of that while keeping our prospects is some nice work.

To get an A I would have wanted to see a real swindle of some sorts, another "wow" factor, or keeping the first in the Foligno trade, but I guess that's me being a difficult grader. Ultimately, results in the playoffs are what will determine the success of this deadline, but for now I'm happy. Good job Dubas.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
A

It would have been an A+ if he somehow kept the first in the Foligno deal. I don't see how that would have been possible but if he found a way then that would be A+. It's hard not to like everything about the roster moves today and leading up to today.

Galchenyuk - Awesome gamble. Korshkov doesn't want to play in AHL, so we had to get value from him. Gally has shown he might be a top-six fit. Low risk, high reward.

Nash - He gets lost in this as I think some people think this is a Horton/Clarkson LTIR cap-magic play...it's not. We got this guy to play 3rd or 4th line centre for us, or maybe 13th forward in the playoffs. Great veteran pick-up and creative way to do it. Low risk, high reward.

Foligno - Was he the best playoff-type performer that changed teams this week? I think so, and we got him. Yes, we paid to get him...the 1st seems to be the price for this category of player...you could argue that Palmeiri might be better right now (didn't want to come here) and Savard seems a rung below. Nice work.

Noesen - Can't decide if that was a SJ cap dump or taxi-squad usefulness for us.

Rittich - I loved this deal. Acquiring him means we can keep Andersen on the LTIR and therefore could add the other pieces we did, it also means we can keep Andersen there to get healthy for the playoffs (should we need him), it also means we can rest Campbell more down the stretch and get/keep him healthy for the playoffs. We also now have a legitimate number 3 goalie for the playoffs...this is a need every once in a while. Rittich coming from Canada and avoiding quarantine is also a bonus. I think he is playing for us tomorrow night. Oh yeah, he has a higher save percentage this year than Carey Price.

Hutton - Better than the other 5/6/7 based on the price and the fit. I wanted Oleksiak (didn't move), Kulikov (higher price) or Gudbranson (we did better) for this need. I like Hutton and maybe he even re-signs as depth next year if we lose Dermott in the expansion draft and feel we have the need.

...also to be considered is that we moved Barabanov and give him a shot at NHL ice-time. Same thing we did with Lehtonen. Players notice this sort of classy move and remember it when deciding where to sign as UFA.
We gave up a lot of draft picks. We have a young team, that drafted a lot of players last year and our window is now. Nice work Dubas!

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
A-

He checked all the boxes within the confines of the salary cap and we didn't lose any of our roster players or best prospects. That is not an easy task. I had heard we might lose Robertson, Sandin, Lily or Amirov, so he did well in keeping our best prospects.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
A+

He went for it

That’s all you can really ask of him. It’s up to the players and coaches now.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

Statsman1

Oct 31, 2014
A+....

Cannot say he overpaid for Foligno when he wouldn’t have gotten him for any less. Got some D and a great backup to Jack. What else could we ask for?

Just win, baby!

Reactions: Eric bungay

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
upload_2021-4-12_14-53-9.jpeg

Reactions: LeafSteel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad