Recalled/Assigned: Rasmussen recalled

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
The Wings took Necas to dinner. He was high on their list. They made a huge mistake. That cloud will always be cast over Rasmussen's performance. Or, rather, lack thereof. (2 goals in 24 games? for a guy who can only score goals?)

Honestly, I wish the Wings would trade him somewhere else so we can stop talking about it. Instead, people feel the need to constantly, undeservedly hype up Rasmussen's performance, and people like me feel the need to point out how undeservedly hyped up that take is. And then we get the angry villagers.

You, and others, can stop talking about whenever you decide to.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
This was maybe his best game in his NHL career.
  1. He scored a goal
  2. Finished game +2
  3. Set up Glendenning
  4. Made the cutest/most creative play of the game
  5. Strongest shift of the game, winning FO, created scoring chance, putting a good hit
These are the plays I noticed. He also scored a goal a few games ago, so we will see if he is on a kind of hot streak.
It will also be interesting to see where he goes from here.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
He also played a big role on Staals goal. I am actually not sure if Staal scores or Rasmussen touches the puck. He definitely tries to touch and redirect the puck, he also was hitting the ice signalling Staal to shoot. Both he and Glendenning went to screen the goalie.

Reactions: wings95

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I'm more the kind of guy who overhears somebody saying "Hey, the glass is full! Kinda!" and interjects snidely in a cartoon scientist voice that it is exactly 50% full, and no more.
Well this is a thread created specifically for discussing Rasmussen, so if you're "overhearing" these comments its because you stepped in and planted your ass in the middle of the discussion.

Rasmussen is looking better, but right now I agree with you, Sebrango and with MBH, he still isn't doing anything to consistently get me excited about his future, though I ultimately share the opinion of TZE in regards to this player - with time he can very likely become a really good player for us, a potential force to be reckoned with. Just going to require a good bit more patience.
I've said weeks ago that he's not NHL ready and should be in GR; he's improved a bit since then but I'm still not convinced that he's ready - I don't see it hurting him at this point so, sure, let him stay up.

My main issue with him is still how nervous and hesitant he is when he has the puck on his stick. Its like hot potato and he is in such a hurry to get rid of it. I feel (i hope) it is more nerves and lack of confidence than lacking a head for the game or good decision making. To that point, I really like that Blash is giving home loads of ice time the last few games; if he's got some nerves or hesitancy issues then pile on that ice time until these aspects of the game start becoming routine for him and he can perform them without over thinking or second guessing himself when he has the puck.

I still believe in the big man. Trying not to get too disappointed after seeing so little to be excited about game after game.

Reactions: Leadzedder

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Well this is a thread created specifically for discussing Rasmussen, so if you're "overhearing" these comments its because you stepped in and planted your ass in the middle of the discussion.

Rasmussen is looking better, but right now I agree with you, Sebrango and with MBH, he still isn't doing anything to consistently

When I was watching Tampa highligths, almost after every goal it was Rasmussen who was there at shooting lane or battling against defenceman so the D couldn't do their main job, going after rebounds etc.

Not scoring points, but affecting on goal-scoring as a demolition man.

That's a huge factor in hockey and that's his future job. Pucks will start bouncing in better he gets.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Rasmussen is looking better, but right now I agree with you, Sebrango and with MBH, he still isn't doing anything to consistently get me excited about his future, though I ultimately share the opinion of TZE in regards to this player - with time he can very likely become a really good player for us, a potential force to be reckoned with. Just going to require a good bit more patience.
I've said weeks ago that he's not NHL ready and should be in GR; he's improved a bit since then but I'm still not convinced that he's ready - I don't see it hurting him at this point so, sure, let him stay up.

My main issue with him is still how nervous and hesitant he is when he has the puck on his stick. Its like hot potato and he is in such a hurry to get rid of it. I feel (i hope) it is more nerves and lack of confidence than lacking a head for the game or good decision making. To that point, I really like that Blash is giving home loads of ice time the last few games; if he's got some nerves or hesitancy issues then pile on that ice time until these aspects of the game start becoming routine for him and he can perform them without over thinking or second guessing himself when he has the puck.

I still believe in the big man. Trying not to get too disappointed after seeing so little to be excited about game after game.

I don't know how anyone can be arguing that he should be playing in the AHL at the moment. To me that shows a fundamental misunderstanding of Ras as a player and the game that he plays. Sending him to GR is not going to turn him into some cerebral playmaker who has the puck on his stick for days. That has never been his game and will never be his game. He is processing the game and skating well enough at this point to put the AHL in his rear view mirror for good. That doesn't mean he is guaranteed to be an impactful NHLer, but in this organization, he is clearly an NHLer.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

We don't have a choice but to follow his progress from game to game. The last 5-10 games he has not made any big mistakes, while each game he made at least one good play. This game was maybe his best, but the whole team played like possessed. They matched the bolts shift for shift, it felt like a playoffs game.
I doubt we win with vasilievski in net. Gibson allowed 2-3 softish goals.
I think it is interesting to follow him, Zadina and Hronek.

Reactions: Henkka

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
My thinking with Rasmussen is I hope there’s more. I think that’s a safe assumption for anyone starting out. He won’t be a saviour but he might be a nice piece.

not everyone has to be a first liner. But if one of your 12 forward spots are filled by an effective mature Rasmussen that’s awesome.

better than him not making it. And that’s why people are happy about him right now.

Reactions: 14ari13

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
My thinking with Rasmussen is I hope there’s more. I think that’s a safe assumption for anyone starting out. He won’t be a saviour but he might be a nice piece.

not everyone has to be a first liner. But if one of your 12 forward spots are filled by an effective mature Rasmussen that’s awesome.

better than him not making it. And that’s why people are happy about him right now.

When you're a top 10 pick, not being a third line role player is what is expected. But, he kinda got f'ed by the CHL/NHL transfer agreement. Still can't believe the NHL can't figure out a way to get a rider for top 10 picks so they can leave sooner.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
For a 9th overall pick you think the standard is a 3rd line player and anything above that is a win?

You need a better book.
Well at this point you can't change the pick, so he's hoping for the best. Could be worse considering some of Holland's other picks like Svech, Cholo, Sheahan, and McCollum.

Let me know when you invent a time machine, because I would love to see Necas and Aho on this team.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
For a 9th overall pick you think the standard is a 3rd line player and anything above that is a win?

You need a better book.
Look, I'm all for rooting for Rasmussen now that it appears he's putting it all together, and hoping he can reach some of that potential, but let's be real: it was a terrible pick given who was available and what our needs were (skill). He's the ultimate luxury pick, a quality 3rd liner who feasts on opposing team's bottom sixes and can anchor a role in front of the net on the PP. Passing on Vilardi, Necas and Suzuki at that spot, and bringing in skilled guys with more projectable skill as even strength contributors was incredibly short sighted by Holland. If Ras was the pick, they should have had the presence of mind to trade down and get assets to get him.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Well at this point you can't change the pick, so he's hoping for the best. Could be worse considering some of Holland's other picks like Svech, Cholo, Sheahan, and McCollum.

Let me know when you invent a time machine, because I would love to see Necas and Aho on this team.

No one needs a time machine or hindsight. Everyone knew it at the time that it was a shitty pick.

Obviously everyone wants Rasmussen to do well. If he turns into more than a 3rd liner it isn't a win, it is expected for a 9th overall pick.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Considering it is rare for a 9th overall pick to be a first liner, if Ras is a second liner it is a good pick.

Hmm shall we have a look at the 9th overall picks since 2010

Marco Rossi
Trevor Zegras
Vitali Kravtsov
Michael Rasmussen
Mikhail Sergachev
Timo Meier
Nikolaj Ehlers
Bo Horvat
Jacob Trouba
Dougie Hamilton
Mikhail Granlund

It doesn't seem that rare to me. There are a bunch of top pairing defensemen, first line centers and a mix top of line and top 6 wingers. Then Rasmussen and Kravtsov.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
If he ever becomes better than a 3rd liner, that is a win in my book.

Still a young kid who’s learning how powerful of a body he has. I think his floor is a 3rd liner. I can see him being a top 6 if he continues to make strides in the right direction. I know at the time he wasn’t a popular pick by anyone, but a player of his size who is physically gifted can be a real force to recon with it he puts it all together and develops properly.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Hmm shall we have a look at the 9th overall picks since 2010

Marco Rossi
Trevor Zegras
Vitali Kravtsov
Michael Rasmussen
Mikhail Sergachev
Timo Meier
Nikolaj Ehlers
Bo Horvat
Jacob Trouba
Dougie Hamilton
Mikhail Granlund

It doesn't seem that rare to me. There are a bunch of top pairing defensemen, first line centers and a mix top of line and top 6 wingers. Then Rasmussen and Kravtsov.

Ras is 21 years old

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad