Recalled/Assigned: Rasmussen recalled

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
And an absolute terror all over the ice. Good luck with him and Seider on the ice at the same time
Rasmussen I feel has vastly improved his work ethic and skating as well doesn't shy away from the physical play. Really pleased with his progress since getting called up. Made a great play on Erne's goal tonight.

Reactions: mantha39

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Rasmussen I feel has vastly improved his work ethic and skating as well doesn't shy away from the physical play. Really pleased with his progress since getting called up. Made a great play on Erne's goal tonight.
Still needs to get stronger on his skates, but I loved the way he shielded the puck on that play. The other assist showed hockey IQ, he knew exactly where Zadina was.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Rasmussen 0.32 points per game. Heating up.

Vilardi 0.38 points per game. Cooling down.

Not much to celebrate for, but not much difference.
Necas was the guy I wanted and the one we missed out on a bit here. That said, I think Rasmussen is starting to show what he can actually be. Big guy, tough to handle around the net, I think he will be a major asset for us especially when we add a d-man with a knack for getting pucks on net for rebounds/tips.. (Seider).

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
2 strong games in a row for Rasmussen. 2 assists and both were a beauty.
Erne pointed at Rasmussen straight away as it was easy a slam dunk for Erne.
The other one was also as beautiful as he knew where Zadina was.
He was 2nd in icetime only behind Larkin.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
So Rasmussen should hit 100 NHL games by the end of the season. Do people view him as a top 2 center? Top 2 winger? Bottom 2 center? I think he's probably best served as a middle 6 winger.

Reactions: 14ari13

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
I'd like for them to continue to keep him at center even if that means he only ever tops out as a 3rd line shutdown center with Powerplay specialties. I think his length will be a nightmare to deal with in matchups both in the center of the ice and along the boards on a forecheck. He just needs to add some muscle so he's both harder to move and is a little quicker, and learn how to win draws consistently. He should be picking Glendening's brain non stop.

From what I've read on him, he seems like a hockey junkie and I'd like to think he will continue to grow year in and year out. The "bigger guys take longer to develop" adage seems to be true with him but it's fun seeing him gain confidence. I hope that's what management is grilling into him, is that he needs to be a driver not a passenger. Hoping the two assists from last night are a glimpse of what is to come. He used his size on the first one and his smarts on the second one. Still wish we had Necas but this might work out just fine.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I think it's pretty clear he is a center moving forward.

He has played much better down the middle than on the wing since he's joined the pros and he has all of the qualities to be a really valuable piece down the middle. Still can't believe how effective he was last night... if he can do that every night we have ourselves a gem of a player.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Unless we bring in someone like Nugent-Hopkins, Wennberg, or Danault this offseason, I'd give Rasmussen the inside track for the 2C role next year.

Worst case scenario he can't elevate his game, we lose games in a good draft year, and we have a clearer idea of what Rasmussen is going forward.

Best case scenario, he rises to the occasion and proves himself as a bonafide NHL center. Even if not a legitimate ~40-60pt 2C, maybe a strong 3C and powerplay option like others have mentioned.

I'm not going to put any labels on Rasmussen right now, but I'm excited to see him continue to improve.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
So Rasmussen should hit 100 NHL games by the end of the season. Do people view him as a top 2 center? Top 2 winger? Bottom 2 center? I think he's probably best served as a middle 6 winger.

I think it is difficult to assess the players as the team is very bad now.

The team is so bad that they all have to focus on defence, this is at expense of offense, but at this stage that is how it is.

I do not think Rasmussen has the goalscorers touch to be a winger. Can he develop to be a solid 2nd line center is too early to say.

I think Yzerman and Blashill have more or less made up their mind on Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi and Fabbri. Obviously they thought that AA and Mantha were going to be too old when the team is ready to compete so they traded both.

Now they focus on Zadina, Hronek and Rasmussen.

I believe Yzerman and Blashill wait a bit with Chalovski and Lindstrom.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I thought everybody was labeled as "Helm with hands". A basic rite of passage once you officially stick with the big club.

But seriously, I hope the kid continues to play well and develop his game.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I thought everybody was labeled as "Helm with hands". A basic rite of passage once you officially stick with the big club.

I love helmer, but he could never make the assists Rasmussen made last night. They were almost datsyuk like assists.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Helm = speed

Not really Raz' strong point. Vrana is the next Helm with hands.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Helm = speed

Not really Raz' strong point. Vrana is the next Helm with hands.
People are missing the joke, even though I used the subsequent phrase, "but seriously".

I know that Rasmussen is nothing like Helm, hands or not. I was just making fun of the use of that label in the past (Larkin).

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
He’s so good around the net he only really needs to be serviceable in the other zones to be a contributor. That jam in front of the net is what this team is missing. Muck it up, occupy space and defenders, keep plays alive. I like that he understands his role too. Hoping he can be a more complete version of Holmstrom

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Middle six winger is a pretty optimistic prognosis for Ras around here. I still think it's too soon to know and would simply suggest patience, but it's nice to see a sliver of positivity toward him around here instead of all the moaning.

I still think he's got a lot more to do and I still think most wings fans will be satisfied or even happy with this pick, (miserably so among some who have been labeling him a failure for so long).

I find it amusing that so many Rasmussen posts come with a side mentioning of who you wanted us to draft instead (not you RtJ). Almost never see that in the Seider or Berggren posts.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
People are missing the joke, even though I used the subsequent phrase, "but seriously".

I know that Rasmussen is nothing like Helm, hands or not. I was just making fun of the use of that label in the past (Larkin).

People take these discussions way too seriously. We need to joke and have fun.

Middle six winger is a pretty optimistic prognosis for Ras around here. I still think it's too soon to know and would simply suggest patience, but it's nice to see a sliver of positivity toward him around here instead of all the moaning.

I still think he's got a lot more to do and I still think most wings fans will be satisfied or even happy with this pick, (miserably so among some who have been labeling him a failure for so long).

I find it amusing that so many Rasmussen posts come with a side mentioning of who you wanted us to draft instead (not you RtJ). Almost never see that in the Seider or Berggren posts.

I hope that every prospect will reach and surpass his potential. I know most of them won't, but I am a fan and hope for the best.
I simply think that Yzerman and Blashill have decided to develop Rasmussen, Zadina and Hronek and that those 3 get the most opportunities now.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
missed the game, going purely on how the clips looked.

those 2 assists on the goals vs carolina are big boy points. if he can make plays like that 2 of every 3 nights roughly, then ill gladly admit i was wrong.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
missed the game, going purely on how the clips looked.

those 2 assists on the goals vs carolina are big boy points. if he can make plays like that 2 of every 3 nights roughly, then ill gladly admit i was wrong.

If he plays how he did tonight 2 of every 3 games he will be a star. He was dominant all over the ice. Making things happen in the offensive zone constantly and was great breaking plays up in the neutral zone. And he beat Slavin for both goals.

Reactions: mantha39

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Hmm rass is still very up in the air for me. He’s shown some nice stuff but it’s so few and far between. He’s feet have improved immensely, but it’s telling when I still think they need to improve a lot. I don’t buy the argument I see a lot that he gets “bullied” and plays like he’s 5-10, idk where that’s coming from. But at the same time I also think the “dominant around the net” take is overblown too. Personally I often find myself underwhelmed at his net front play.

I still don’t know at all what to think. But I’m hopeful. Watching interviews of him since the day he was drafted, he seems extremely driven and professional. I imagine he can get there, and he’s a hell of a canvas to craft a hockey player out of.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Hmm rass is still very up in the air for me. He’s shown some nice stuff but it’s so few and far between. He’s feet have improved immensely, but it’s telling when I still think they need to improve a lot. I don’t buy the argument I see a lot that he gets “bullied” and plays like he’s 5-10, idk where that’s coming from. But at the same time I also think the “dominant around the net” take is overblown too. Personally I often find myself underwhelmed at his net front play.

I still don’t know at all what to think. But I’m hopeful. Watching interviews of him since the day he was drafted, he seems extremely driven and professional. I imagine he can get there, and he’s a hell of a canvas to craft a hockey player out of.
Good assessment.
It will be interesting to see if he can build on on it.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
Interesting quote about Ras from Bultman in his article on The Athletic today: "The Red Wings see him as a matchup center in the mold of Carolina’s Jordan Staal, and Rasmussen shows moments to indicate he could add a bit of offense on occasion." Bultman obviously has contacts in the org so framing it as the "Red Wings" perspective and not his personal one is interesting. I guess which version of Jordan Staal he's referring to is up for interpretation.

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad