Recalled/Assigned: Rasmussen recalled

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
That was also in the clutch-and-grab days when overrated plugs like Holik were allowed to waterski off the backs of skilled players.

Holik scored 30+ goals five times and 40+ points nine times on top of being one of the best defensive centers in hockey in a 6'4'' 230 lb frame. If Rasmussen is as good as Holik we hit that draft pick out of the park.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Yea idiots Larkin only had 53 points in 71 games as the #1 option on the team. Bo Horvat had way more, 53 points in 69 games. What a silky stud in comparison. Totally different tier of player.

Horvat also had 10 goals in 17 playoff games and was 59% in faceoffs for playoffs. But yah let's just ignore those facts and call it even :thumbu:

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
Ras @ his peak = Bobby Holik lite maybe? Joel Otto? Hanzal? Handzus?

Not Mick Jagger.

Hopefully he'll remain reasonably affordable if he hits his ceiling, unlike Holik.

My hope is that Rasmussen can approach the level of Anders Lee. Big, hulking winger that can dominate around the net and bury goals from in tight. Lee was 25 years old before he became a full-time NHLer, so Ras isn't too far behind, by comparison. IIRC, Lee was also a C earlier in his career, but perhaps not at the NHL level.

Now, the odds aren't in Ras' favour to become that kind of player, but I think that player still fits reasonably well in his prime-level range of outcomes.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Holik scored 30+ goals five times and 40+ points nine times on top of being one of the best defensive centers in hockey in a 6'4'' 230 lb frame. If Rasmussen is as good as Holik we hit that draft pick out of the park.
Holik and Arnott were never offensive stars as other stars, but they won 2 cups.
If I remember right Arnott, Sykora and Elias were the most productive line at the times.
Anyhow, my point is that even if Rasmussen can't be a good offensive star, maybe we can hope that he can be as effective as Holik, though it might be a toll order.
I just hope he develops and becomes a very good player for us.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
AMEN. I think some people are expecting prime Lindros when they think of what Rasmussen will become lol!

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
You mean 20+. He never reached 30 goals.
AMEN. I think some people are expecting prime Lindros when they think of what Rasmussen will become lol!
You should check the facts before you write.
Lindros was the next one, the most hyped player last 25 years.
Holik was 10th overall. His career would not look as good had he played on other teams. NJ were perfect for him. Had he played on any other team and did not win the cup, 90% of fans would not remember him.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
You mean 20+. He never reached 30 goals.

You should check the facts before you write.
Lindros was the next one, the most hyped player last 25 years.
Holik was 10th overall. His career would not look as good had he played on other teams. NJ were perfect for him. Had he played on any other team and did not win the cup, 90% of fans would not remember him.
Comparing Holik to Rasmussen and being disappointed is expecting prime Lindros.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Must be nice to have another center on your team that can put up 66 points in 68 games and 18 points in 17 playoff games.

Except Horvat led the team in goals, ice time for forwards, faceoff %, scores a SHG and tied for game winning goals. But yah it was all the "other" center lmao

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Except Horvat led the team in goals, ice time for forwards, faceoff %, scores a SHG and tied for game winning goals. But yah it was all the "other" center lmao
Horvat would have to be blowing larkins doors off to consider him even slightly better. Consider Larkin gets the prime treatment every night because there is no othe player to worry about defending. In Vancouver that’s Peterson, so horvat gets to play against weaker competition.

considering play style is similar but statistically Larkin has a slight advantage while being more of a focus of othe teams defensive game plans, I don’t see how you can possibly say horvat is better. Seems odd. I guess you could just bring up a 10 game playoff sample size again.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Dylan Larkin Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Bo Horvat Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

You can actually look this up, and the stats are slightly in Larkin's favor. In 60 less games and 1 less season he has one less GWG, 1 less SHG and yes Horvat has spent some of that with far more help in his lineup.

Again I like both players a ton, I wouldn't trade Larkin for Horvat.

One thing I wish he would improve on is the stupid penalties, that is a clear difference. But yeah very comparable and I do think Larkin is slightly better.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If I'm a coach and I have to choose to shutdown Boeser/Pettersson or Horvat/Pearson, I'm choosing Boeser/Pettersson. Weird that Horvat's point totals have improved since the moment Pettersson stepped on the ice for the Canucks. He takes pressure off of Bo Horvat.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Dylan Larkin Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Bo Horvat Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

You can actually look this up, and the stats are slightly in Larkin's favor. In 60 less games and 1 less season he has one less GWG, 1 less SHG and yes Horvat has spent some of that with far more help in his lineup.

Again I like both players a ton, I wouldn't trade Larkin for Horvat.

One thing I wish he would improve on is the stupid penalties, that is a clear difference. But yeah very comparable and I do think Larkin is slightly better.
We wouldn't be nearly so critical of Larkin if we had another similar caliber or better center to pair with him in the top 6. In a similar fashion to Hronek this season, he's been asked to do a little bit more than he's really capable of and with far less support than he needs to succeed, although we've seen much better versions of Larkin that have not looked nearly so overwhelmed than he has this season.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Back on topic, it was nice to see Ras being a bit more assertive and adventurous in the last handful of games. He doesn't look great, but he's stopped being a passenger, and does scare the opposition at times when he gets near the net.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Holik, J Staal, Arnott I think are solid in what I hope Ras becomes. I don't think he is going to ever be an offensive dynamo but I think he could be that dominant shutdown 3rd line center that also helps out on the PP. He has really solid awareness in front of the net. Is a pretty good skater and I think could be excellent at faceoffs given the practice. Those type of guys are huge come playoff time. If the Wings can get a true #1 or at least another Larkin level center and then have Ras as the 3rd line center, we have the potential to be a matchup nightmare.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad