Recalled/Assigned: Rasmussen recalled

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Yeah, we had a lot of prospects where people would say "this is a marathon, not a sprint" in defending some of the head scratchers on draft day. I remember one poster suggesting Cholowski was going to be a Norris winning d-man. I mostly just ignore the sunshine blowing, lots of practice over the years.

I agree that Rasmussen is probably best as a 4C when Glendening gets traded. Let him be a 4th line center and net front presence on the PP like Byfuglein used to be for Chicago.
:laugh: There's posters that think stupid shit all the time. There's also posters that denigrate a pick and turn out wrong too, crazy concept, I know.
I think TZE and I were two of the biggest Cholowski proponents on this site and we never said anything like that.

LOL ONE GUY SAID CHOLOWSKI WOULD WIN A NORRIS LOL WHAT AN IDIOT I ALWAYS KNEW HE'D BE A BUST FROM DAY ONE! (equally bad takes)

Last edited:
Reactions: kliq

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
:laugh: There's posters that think stupid shit all the time. There's also posters that denigrate a pick and turn out wrong too, crazy concept, I know.
I think TZE and I were two of the biggest Cholowski proponents on this site and we never said anything like that.

LOL ONE GUY SAID CHOLOWSKI WOULD WIN A NORRIS LOL WHAT AN IDIOT I ALWAYS KNEW HE'D BE A BUST FROM DAY ONE! (equally bad takes)
Looking at the long-term track record, Holland in general and Tyler Wright in particular were awful at drafting and development. But sure, go on with your both sides nonsense.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Looking at the long-term track record, Holland in general and Tyler Wright in particular were awful at drafting and development. But sure, go on with your both sides nonsense.
Both sides nonsense? Saying any kid picked 20 overall will win a Norris or will be a bust on draft day is equally idiotic. It has nothing to do with Holland, Wright, Cholowski, or Rasmussen.

Last edited:
Reactions: wingerdinger

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

I'd love to see the data on this. I remember someone on this board did compile the data, and I'm pretty sure based on where the Wings picked they landed somewhere in the middle. That's not a compliment by any stretch, but your comment is just hyperbolic.

Last edited:
Reactions: lomekian and newfy

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'd love to see the data on this. I remember someone on this board did compile the data, and I'm pretty sure based on where they picked they landed somewhere in the middle. Thats not a compliment by any stretch, but your comment is just hyperbolic.

No way you can call Holland's long term drafting record here bad. It was getting bad towards the end. But overall, not a chance.

Wright is another story... not the biggest fan of that guy. Those 15-17 drafts set this rebuild back. At least he got us Larkin.

Reactions: lilidk and kliq

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
No way you can call Holland's long term drafting record here bad. It was getting bad towards the end. But overall, not a chance.

Wright is another story... not the biggest fan of that guy. Those 15-17 drafts set this rebuild back. At least he got us Larkin.

Are you the one who compiled the date? I seem to remember it being you, but can't remember for sure. I feel like it was you or @BinCookin

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
The only way we will successfully re-build this team with the current lottery structure, is to consistently out-perform the average result of our draft position.

So that is going to factor in to how fans look at these prospects, for better or worse.
That is impossible. That is very hard.
But I like what Yzerman and Blashill are doing. They will just have to work harder to develop players.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
We have 2 players (and one goalie), who have solid numbers. Great for our team but nothing special compared to other top players. Apart from Hronek and Fabbri nobody has put good numbers. If we take away the hot stretch of the home games lately not even Fabbri and Hronek had solid numbers.

We don't have the players. Our core players are not in their prime, the players who are in their prime are not good.

You can't rush this team and players. Every small step forward now will be a big step backwards in the future if Yzerman and blashill speed up the process.

It's not an excuse.
Nobody is rushing Rasmussen.

We rushed him 2 years ago when he clearly wasn't NHL ready. We should have sent him back to junior to learn more of the basics.
But nobody's rushing him now.
He should play in the NHL. If he sucks for a few games, sit him out for a couple games. But enough AHL stuff. Keep him up here, learning and training with NHLers.
Sink or swim time.
The same should have been afforded to Svech last year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Are you the one who compiled the date? I seem to remember it being you, but can't remember for sure. I feel like it was you or @BinCookin

I have shared data compiled regarding the average return from different draft slots. (BLUE BULLET REPORT)

I believe both Bin and Henkka have shared data attempting to gauge the success of teams drafting over different time periods.

Reactions: kliq

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

And? What's your point? Even the people paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to talk about this had him in the late first round. No one was predicting him to be taken in the top 5. And even if he does turn out to be Bobby Orr+Leetch+Lidstrom with a dash of Vladdy, it doesn't negate the fact he likely could have been had outside of a top 6 pick. Me being wrong about him doesn't make you right about anything.

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Both sides nonsense? Saying any kid picked 20 overall will win a Norris or will be a bust on draft day is equally idiotic. It has nothing to do with Holland, Wright, Cholowski, or Rasmussen.

Saying a defenseman with no NHL experience will win a Norris is something, that's for sure.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
And? What's your point? Even the people paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to talk about this had him in the late first round. No one was predicting him to be taken in the top 5. And even if he does turn out to be Bobby Orr+Leetch+Lidstrom with a dash of Vladdy, it doesn't negate the fact he likely could have been had outside of a top 5 pick. Me being wrong about him doesn't make you right about anything.

You are right. He was had with the 6th pick! And nobody had him late first. Most were middle of the first. NHL Central Scouting had him 6th.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
At some point being negative about everything comes back to bite you really hard.

Not really. Its the internet and we are a bunch of random people who by and large have no inside information, formal training, or any other insight other than our own opinions. Yeah, I wasn't happy with the Seider pick, and so far he's looked good at every level that isn't the NHL. That doesn't make the Ras pick a good pick. And honestly its shifting goalposts. Me being unhappy/negative/whatever about Seider doesn't make you right about Rasmussen and the fact you had to shift things that drastically shows you're grasping at straws.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
It's not an excuse.
Nobody is rushing Rasmussen.

We rushed him 2 years ago when he clearly wasn't NHL ready. We should have sent him back to junior to learn more of the basics.
But nobody's rushing him now.
He should play in the NHL. If he sucks for a few games, sit him out for a couple games. But enough AHL stuff. Keep him up here, learning and training with NHLers.
Sink or swim time.
The same should have been afforded to Svech last year.
This was my reply about Zedina. I have no idea how it ended up in Rasmussen thread.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Pretty excited to see what this kid can become if he keeps this up... never going to score a ton but he can be such a beast with his size and speed.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
I'd love to see the data on this. I remember someone on this board did compile the data, and I'm pretty sure based on where the Wings picked they landed somewhere in the middle. That's not a compliment by any stretch, but your comment is just hyperbolic.

I know someone did a really deep dive, but even I was able to illustrate that through draft position, number of picks etc between about 1998 & 2016 Detroit had the worst draft positions both overall and on average of any team in the NHL, and on the back of a few absolute home runs (and Lids still going) were able to sustain their position by fleshing out the roster with some excellent mid round picks. Missed on a few in rounds 1,2 & 3, but actually over a long period, most teams do.

The things that really hurt us were Fischer & Grigorenko being curtailed and none of the late 2000s early 2010s guys from the very end of round 1 & round 2 sustained their development paths beyond junior / college.

To have a Hobey Baker winner, a CHL D-man of the year and OHL (i think?) D-man of the year all turn out to be nothing is pretty rare tbh. Not many actual bad picks (bar Mccollum and a few 3rd rounders), but too few picks and too many that stopped developing at age 20-23.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Thought this was some of the best stuff I've seen from Ras tonight. Looking stronger and more confident.

We can harp on the pick all we want, he certainly wasn't my favorite at #9, but at the end of the day Holland and Wright are gone and Ras is here. Best to get behind the kid.
Yah, that is where we're at. Can't change the past.

What's up with his skating? He looked weird out there the first few games after his recall, and now he looks more normal as far as stance and stride. Still hunched over a bit like he needs a longer stick, but not nearly as bad as the first few games. Having a better stance has made him more stable on his skates, not getting knocked down any more.

Just seems really weird to me because you usually don't see that much of a change in a few games, leaves me wondering if it was just nerves or something in the first few games.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Yah, that is where we're at. Can't change the past.

What's up with his skating? He looked weird out there the first few games after his recall, and now he looks more normal as far as stance and stride. Still hunched over a bit like he needs a longer stick, but not nearly as bad as the first few games. Having a better stance has made him more stable on his skates, not getting knocked down any more.

Just seems really weird to me because you usually don't see that much of a change in a few games, leaves me wondering if it was just nerves or something in the first few games.
I think nerves could be an issue. He's well known for being driven and super serious, so probably puts too much pressure on himself. Svech has had the same issue despite his sunnier demeanor.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Rasmussen's decision making is so slow and it hurts him in every area of the ice.
Everything going to change when his linemates going to be Bergreen and Mastersemone. Love his net front and defensive game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad