Rasmus Dahlin Vs Elias Pettersson going forward?

Which player do you take going forward and why?

• Neutral fan take Rasmus Dahlin

Votes: 196 39.2%
  • Buffalo fan take Rasmus Dahlin

Votes: 45 9.0%
  • Buffalo fan take Elias Pettersson

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Neutral fan take Elias Pettersson

Votes: 150 30.0%
  • Vancouver fan take Elias Pettersson

Votes: 97 19.4%
  • Vancouver fan take Rasmus Dahlin

Votes: 9 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
For now Ill go with Pettersson. I fully respect anyone picking Dahlin.

For now though I would build around a 1c rather than a 1d, and based on this poll it does not seem like a "who would you add to your team" type thing, so yeah.

I absolutely reserve the right to change my mind, as both players seem like they are going to be studs, so it would not shock me if Dahlin winds up being better in the long run.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Well RD is two years younger than EP so not really a fair comparison.

supposed generational 1OA vs let's wait an see it's only been 10 games/omegalul what a reach the Canucks left Glass and Vilardi on the table to take Pettersson at 5, it's closer than you'd think

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I haven't seen enough of Dahlin yet to really judge him, but I would keep EP on the Canucks for now. He's been so impressive that even if Dahlin becomes a Lidstrom level defenseman, I can see a scenario where Pettersson is still better, since I believe elite centers are more valuable than elite defensemen. He's also just so fun to watch, and I doubt Dahlin, or any defenseman really, can provide that same entertainment level as a fan

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I haven't seen enough of Dahlin yet to really judge him, but I would keep EP on the Canucks for now. He's been so impressive that even if Dahlin becomes a Lidstrom level defenseman, I can see a scenario where Pettersson is still better, since I believe elite centers are more valuable than elite defensemen. He's also just so fun to watch, and I doubt Dahlin, or any defenseman really, can provide that same entertainment level as a fan

Uhhh if Dahlin becomes a Lidstrom level D man you'd be crazy not to trade EP for him. Lidstrom is up there with the greatest D men of all time. He has 4 cups, 12 time NHL all-star, and 7 Norris Trophies (tied for most all time with Doug Harvey). And you think EP will be better than that? You are basically saying you think EP will be one of the greatest players to ever play the game.

Just to clarify I don't think Dahlin will ever reach Lidstrom levels.

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Uhhh if Dahlin becomes a Lidstrom level D man you'd be crazy not to trade EP for him. Lidstrom is up there with the greatest D men of all time. He has 4 cups, 12 time NHL all-star, and 7 Norris Trophies (tied for most all time with Doug Harvey). And you think EP will be better than that?

Just to clarify I don't think Dahlin will ever reach Lidstrom levels.

You misunderstood. The point wasn't that if he becomes a Lidstrom level defenseman I definitively take Pettersson over him still. The point was that while he may have the potential to be the best defenseman of his generation, I think Pettersson has the potential to be right there or better, so it's not a case where Dahlin's potential is too great not to take a chance on.

Lidstrom was an amazing defenseman, but his legacy is based on his tremendous consistency. He was not usually regarded as on the same level with the top couple centers in the league on a season by season basis. In suggesting that Dahlin might be Lidstrom-level, I meant more as a prime as the best defenseman in the league, not necessarily that longevity and consistency. That's where I'm suggesting Pettersson has that potential. If he becomes a top 2-3 center in the league, like a Forsberg or even a Datsyuk, both of whom he often gets compared to, there's a case to be made for taking him over the best defenseman, the same way I would have taken them over Lidstrom at their best.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
You misunderstood. The point wasn't that if he becomes a Lidstrom level defenseman I definitively take Pettersson over him still. The point was that while he may have the potential to be the best defenseman of his generation, I think Pettersson has the potential to be right there or better, so it's not a case where Dahlin's potential is too great not to take a chance on.

Lidstrom was an amazing defenseman, but his legacy is based on his tremendous consistency. He was not usually regarded as on the same level with the top couple centers in the league on a season by season basis. In suggesting that Dahlin might be Lidstrom-level, I meant more as a prime as the best defenseman in the league, not necessarily that longevity and consistency. That's where I'm suggesting Pettersson has that potential. If he becomes a top 2-3 center in the league, like a Forsberg or even a Datsyuk, both of whom he often gets compared to, there's a case to be made for taking him over the best defenseman, the same way I would have taken them over Lidstrom at their best.

I don't see much a point in continuing to debate this because I am not going to change my mind and I don't think you are either. I will just say you are vastly underrating Lidstrom if you would take Datsyuk over him just as you are vastly overrating EP if you think he will be better than a D man who has 7 Norris'. Can't have a debate with someone who thinks EP will be Crosby level or better.

"even if Dahlin becomes a Lidstrom level defenseman, I can see a scenario where Pettersson is still better"

Reactions: TMLeafs17

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I don't see much a point in continuing to debate this because I am not going to change my mind and I don't think you are either. I will just say you are vastly underrating Lidstrom if you would take Datsyuk over him just as you are vastly overrating EP if you think he will be better than a D man who has 7 Norris'. Can't have a debate with someone who thinks EP will be Crosby level or better.

"even if Dahlin becomes a Lidstrom level defenseman, I can see a scenario where Pettersson is still better"

You still seem to be applying career value to Lidstrom which I said I wasn't doing. It's his consistency and longevity that make him so high in all time lists. Datsyuk was better than Lidstrom at Datsyuk's peak, or at the very least it was a reasonable argument. Lidstrom is far ahead in his career due to the aforementioned consistency and longevity. Make those even for both and Datsyuk would have a case to be ahead for career.

I never mentioned anything about Crosby. That's you projecting based on the Lidstrom's career ranking, which, as I said, once again, I wasn't using. I also never said I think Pettersson will be better than Lidstrom, and it's amusing you would suggest that before contradicting yourself with my quote that says "can envision a scenario", which clearly suggests it's not a likelihood. And more amusing still when you bring up 7 Norris trophies, when, for the (5th?) time, I clarified my words of "Lidstrom-level" to mean more of a peak/prime than the consistency that pushes him ahead all time.

Perhaps you're too hung up on Lidstrom. You can replace him with Karlsson if you like. Or Pronger. Or any other great blueliner of that ilk. Lidstrom wasn't significantly better than either at their bests. So take away the consistency and just look at the capability. Is there an argument for taking a top 5ish center over that level of defenseman? I think so, depending on the players. For most of league history, I would take at least a couple centers over the best defenseman. And can Pettersson be at that level? I think there's about as much chance as Dahlin.

Last edited:
Reactions: LemonSauceD

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
You still seem to be applying career value to Lidstrom which I said I wasn't doing. It's his consistency and longevity that make him so high in all time lists. Datsyuk was better than Lidstrom at Datsyuk's peak, or at the very least it was a reasonable argument. Lidstrom is far ahead in his career due to the aforementioned consistency and longevity. Make those even for both and Datsyuk would have a case to be ahead for career.

I never mentioned anything about Crosby. That's you projecting based on the Lidstrom's career ranking, which, as I said, once again, I wasn't using. I also never said I think Pettersson will be better than Lidstrom, and it's amusing you would suggest that before contradicting yourself with my quote that says "can envision a scenario", which clearly suggests it's not a likelihood. And more amusing still when you bring up 7 Norris trophies, when, for the (5th?) time, I clarified my words of "Lidstrom-level" to mean more of a peak/prime than the consistency that pushes him ahead all time.

Perhaps you're too hung up on Lidstrom. You can replace him with Karlsson if you like. Or Pronger. Or any other great blueliner of that ilk. Lidstrom wasn't significantly better than either at their bests. So take away the consistency and just look at the capability. Is there an argument for taking a top 5ish center over that level of defenseman? I think so, depending on the players. For most of league history, I would take at least a couple centers over the best defenseman. And can Pettersson be at that level? I think there's about as much chance as Dahlin.

Dude I said I am not going to debate further. You've taken a position I deem unreasonable and added qualifiers to your argument after the fact to distort your original comment. Just let it go.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Dude I said I am not going to debate further. You've taken a position I deem unreasonable and added qualifiers to your argument after the fact to distort your original comment. Just let it go.

So you've made assumptions that were incorrect, which any further explanations are dismissed as distortion because you've made up your mind on what my original comment was about? Yea, you're right, there's no sense debating you.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
So you've made assumptions that were incorrect, which any further explanations are dismissed as distortion because you've made up your mind on what my original comment was about? Yea, you're right, there's no sense debating you.

Thank what you'd like EP > Lidstrom

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Gotta love the box score watching “ainec’sers”

I've never heard someone describe Pettersson as a Box Score type of player before.

Every analyst I have heard describe him has said he is dominating on a crappy team
Ray Ferraro, McKenzie, Dreger etc etc etc have all said he is must watch because he is simply FUN, and it has nothing to do with his gaudy point totals.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I love Pettersson, been staying up to watch his west coast games, but I always take the 1a defensemen.

I also think Pettersson is going to be injured a lot in his career. He has no fear and for someone as slight as he is, that is not necessarily a good thing.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Dahlin has been good so far as a rookie. EP has been dominant as a rookie so far. I'd take him without question.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
I love Pettersson, been staying up to watch his west coast games, but I always take the 1a defensemen.

I also think Pettersson is going to be injured a lot in his career. He has no fear and for someone as slight as he is, that is not necessarily a good thing.

One dirty hit does not mean he is going to be injured a lot. Even last year, he played in the SHL - a men's league. He was healthy throughout the entire year...

If I was starting a franchise today, I go with Pettersson. I just think that finding a #1 centre is so hard, and Pettersson is sure as hell playing like one. That's not belittlement to Dahlin; it's just that I think they're even but the fact that Pettersson is a centre, and I don't think you need a stud #1 to win the cup (Although it makes it a hell of a lot easier) but you do need a #1, all-star level centre.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Dahlin is a beast will be a 1d. Still not on the same level as EP

I just said he will be one day. Dmen take longer to mature and he has way more responsibility then EP out there, in that position. EP has been a lot better but not by leaps and bounds. (Remember I’ve watched both and they meet Saturday afternoon) He’s been ridiculous for sure (EP) but to say they’re not on the same level after four weeks of hockey is dumb.

I've never heard someone describe Pettersson as a Box Score type of player before.

Every analyst I have heard describe him has said he is dominating on a crappy team
Ray Ferraro, McKenzie, Dreger etc etc etc have all said he is must watch because he is simply FUN, and it has nothing to do with his gaudy point totals.

I’m not even talking about Petterson. I’m talking to the people “box score watching” with dahlin to make irrational judgments.

Buffalo is also a crappy team. And I’ve watched both players this year? Have you?

Colour me shocked hose tsn anchors are going haha for the hottest rookie in the league on a Canadian team one because it’s true and two to sell hope and get people watching (the latter isn’t even matter of opinion it’s fact, it’s broadcasting 101)

Those same “credible” announcers were saying the same things and more about dahlin for a full
Year? What’s your point? They’re both great and they’re both hyped. But because dahlin has just five points in 15 games as an 18 year old dman he’s clearly not in the same realm.

The Petterson story is terrific and he’s made Canuck games watchable for me. But let’s see how he handles oh I don’t know, a week of adversity he hasn’t even had a slump yet. There are so many tests still left for the king and we all know Canucks fans have wanted their next naslund-Sedin for a long time and not looks like you got it. It just doesent mean he should be sitting on a throne and is “too good for the league.”

Barzal, Matthews and even Boeser last year were all extremely impressive. Of course Connor, Jack, laine, but I’m sure most people waited a month before saying he’s better then the number one overall pick who’s been called generational “franchise changing “ for the last two years.

Or have certain Canuck fans forgot about their year long falling for dahlin tank nation threads? He’s been impressive as hell and it’s special. It really is. But he’s not in a different tier after four weeks of play as Rasmus Dahlin of all people. The fact he’s been more impressive is a testament to show truly good Elias is. However some people are getting really Carried away.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad