Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin Part 2- D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
the awkward moment when you get an accomplishment and realize your partner did it younger than you.

What’s so crazy is I expect him to get a 4 point game this year.

One of those nights were the rushes are productive and he gets a transition assist or two.

This kid is gonna break 50 this year. It’s sick.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
He needs a bit more mustard on his shot. The release is quick enough but once he gets a harder shot more will squeeze through, and more rebounds will be there to bury. Not complaining. He is exceeding my expectations immensely, but his point totals will go up when he builds strength and translates it into his shot, like Sam did. Went from muffin to more than adequate rather quickly.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
He needs a bit more mustard on his shot. The release is quick enough but once he gets a harder shot more will squeeze through, and more rebounds will be there to bury. Not complaining. He is exceeding my expectations immensely, but his point totals will go up when he builds strength and translates it into his shot, like Sam did. Went from muffin to more than adequate rather quickly.
He certainly could improve his shooting - especially if he's working the right side of the PP and giving them the 'Kurcherov' option.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I just read that Dahlin's favorite artist is Kendrick Lamar, and my respect for him increased tenfold.

Reactions: Slangston

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Crazy, but I had to google who he was. I'm not a R&B or rap fan.

You have gotten old. I used to know who everyone was, even if I didn’t like the style.

Now, the news comes on and Ariana Grande gets referenced and I’m look who? And why is this person on real news?

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Shooting power is the easiest thing to fix too. We got something special here.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
You have gotten old. I used to know who everyone was, even if I didn’t like the style.

Now, the news comes on and Ariana Grande gets referenced and I’m look who? And why is this person on real news?

Yeah, probably right. I remember something Colin Cowherd said years ago: as you get older, your interests become narrower and deeper. You don't have time, but the time you spend, you spend well.

I used to like soccer, baseball, and basketball as a kid. Now, I couldn't tell much about any of those sports. I know who the major players are, but to the depth I know hockey and football, there's no comparison.

Same with pop culture. My music interests narrowed. Movie interested narrowed. I read a lot and stay up on world events. I, also, have no time for the latest pop culture news. Insignificant what the Princess of England thinks of a dress an actress wore. Just don't care. It's not news.

TheStorm

Sep 15, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA
I hope I never lose interest in finding new music. Music and hockey are like the two things that mainly bring me joy nowadays. I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I didn't have Death Grips and Arial Pink in my life.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Yeah, probably right. I remember something Colin Cowherd said years ago: as you get older, your interests become narrower and deeper. You don't have time, but the time you spend, you spend well.

I used to like soccer, baseball, and basketball as a kid. Now, I couldn't tell much about any of those sports. I know who the major players are, but to the depth I know hockey and football, there's no comparison.

Same with pop culture. My music interests narrowed. Movie interested narrowed. I read a lot and stay up on world events. I, also, have no time for the latest pop culture news. Insignificant what the Princess of England thinks of a dress an actress wore. Just don't care. It's not news.

Hundred percent. As my expertise went up, my width of knowledge decays. And once you live enough it’s hard to care about the new way younger people express the life you have already lived.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Dahlin if he plays the entire season will possibly take over 2nd place for points by an 18 year old dman. Ekblad actually only scored 29 points as an 18 year old (29 in the first 50, turned 19 then scored 10 in the last 32)

Season is not even half over and he is already in the top 10 for points by 18 year old dmen. And he did not get going offensively until a month or so into the season.

Dahlin is absolutely a generational player. There has not been a dman this good offensively as an 18 year old in 35 years. Add the entire package and Dahlin will be a guy who plays 27 minutes a night and scores 65+ points year in and year out.

I think 12 x 8 is looking very likely for him. Who would have thunk 5 years ago that at Xmas 2018 we would own not only a superstar 100 point two way center but a generational soon to be best dman in the entire league.

The scary thing is there is an astronomical jump for high end dman from their first year or two until they hit 20, 21 and year 2-3. Doughty, Karlsson etc... if Dahlin ends up a 45 point 21 minute a night dman at 18 even as soon as next year he may have a top 10 Norris type season.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
I'm in awe of how well he's able to avoid contact from opposing players. He seems to sense when contact is coming and able to contort himself in a way to minimize it. If he ever gets caught with a solid open ice hit, I will be shocked.

His on ice awareness of where people are is off the charts. Once he gets more familiar with how quickly NHL players closer the gap... watch the f*** out.

BeTheBallDanny

Oct 30, 2013
I'm in awe of how well he's able to avoid contact from opposing players. He seems to sense when contact is coming and able to contort himself in a way to minimize it. If he ever gets caught with a solid open ice hit, I will be shocked.

His on ice awareness of where people are is off the charts. Once he gets more familiar with how quickly NHL players closer the gap... watch the **** out.

This. So much this. He has made some of his most miraculous plays in the D zone when he singlehandedly handles forecheckers and begins the transition out of the zone. It’s absurd that an 18yo is doing it.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Continuing this moment of OT-ness: my son has discovered sport fandom and has dragged me with him into some of his interests. He outstrips me in non-hockey related things - lacrosse of all varieties lately - but he has really challenged me with regard to hockey. He'll come up and ask what I think of a prospect or soon-to-be draftee who I have flat out have no memory of.

As for pop culture, I've been that way most of my life. I don't know who these people are and don't f***ing care.

Coming back to Dahlin, it's impressive that he's hit 20 points so soon and if the rest of the team starts having an offensive up-tick, he'll likely pick up even more points in the 2nd half of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad