Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin Part 2- D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
It's not just his lateral movement thats insanely good. He instinctively reads so well the angle and direction the defenders are coming at him that he's able to swerve right around them.

Reactions: VaporTrail

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
My view on Rasmus is that he has the same "psyche" as Erik Karlsson, in the sense that mistakes, even big glaring mistakes, don't affect him. When Karlsson was a rookie, he could try a deke on his own blue line, get stripped of the puck which led to the other team scoring. His next shift he would try some new deke or risky play, without giving a rats ass about what happened the previous shift.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
My view on Rasmus is that he has the same "psyche" as Erik Karlsson, in the sense that mistakes, even big glaring mistakes, don't affect him. When Karlsson was a rookie, he could try a deke on his own blue line, get stripped of the puck which led to the other team scoring. His next shift he would try some new deke or risky play, without giving a rats ass about what happened the previous shift.

Players like him and Erik, especially at young ages, you allow them to see what they can and can't do at this level. They either stop doing it, learn WHEN to do it to make it effective, or find alternative methods to get the results they desired. You don't reel them in and try to coach them out of their strengths. It's what you also see in franchise guys like Keith, Suter, Letang, Green and good defenseman do and are afforded.

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
It’s a rare unusual play in general, not much to really talk about and it came up in the game thread.

As Jim Bob’s replay shows, it looks like a couple Sabres, Dahlin included thought it hit the Jumbotron.

I doubt it will be a continuous issue.

He needs to play to the whistle then. It looked like he was trying to take the puck out of the air with his stick and the other player got to it first. In that case he *always* needs to take the man. Period. He needs to learn these things.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
When Eichel came into the league or other skilled sabres, I was quick to jump in on threads where other fans were claiming their player was better. With Dahlin, it is different. I don’t really care what anyone says because his skill is undeniable. There is no defenseman in the league I’d rather have (Dallas can keep heiskanen).

All the comparisons being made to other first year defensemen will vanish very quickly as Dahlin puts it all together. He is an absolute treat to watch.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I want to see him clean up his defensive zone play and continue to work on it this year. He gets caught out of position a little too much and it’s been resulting in some GA lately.

Reactions: Doohickie

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I might be wrong here, but it seems like Dahlin has that chance to become the guy on defence for this generation. While guys like Doughty, Hedman etc are really good and probably hall of famers I don’t really think they are going to be talked about all that much as 10-20 years from now. It doesn’t really seem like there are any truly expecptional D in the league right now.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I might be wrong here, but it seems like Dahlin has that chance to become the guy on defence for this generation. While guys like Doughty, Hedman etc are really good and probably hall of famers I don’t really think they are going to be talked about all that much as 10-20 years from now. It doesn’t really seem like there are any truly expecptional D in the league right now.
Norris voters aren't helping in that regard. I don't think we'll see a guy with a voting record like Lidstrom anytime soon.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Norris voters aren't helping in that regard. I don't think we'll see a guy with a voting record like Lidstrom anytime soon.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

No kidding. Recently Doughty won it because the consensus was it was his turn. Can’t fight ridiculous.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
No kidding. Recently Doughty won it because the consensus was it was his turn. Can’t fight ridiculous.

That’s probably because we don’t have a legit generation type D in the game, there’s no Lidstrom, Pronger or Borque in the game. We have a bunch of really good D, but guys like Doughty and Burns only really dominate one side of the ice.

Longbow

Oct 15, 2013
Minnesota

I'm from Lidköping and know they've really struggled to get a team together in the past, including canceling entire seasons for certain teams. So I think what happened was those games were spread out during the year when it was unclear whether they had enough players on the team and it was between being "forced" into playing the clubs greatest player of all time, or forfeiting.

The more outrageous thing is that they appeared to have two U16 teams. One elite team (called U16) and a B-team ( called U16 A, naturally). That is the most Swedish thing I've seen today. "U c, we hav to tms. The 1st tm nd the A tm"

Last edited:

Longbow

Oct 15, 2013
Minnesota

Sorry for double posting but...

The notion of HC Lidköping having talent evalutators is laughable to me. One of my school teacher was the head coach of one of the youth teams. I left the town by the time Dahlin was coming up the system, but we are talking about a 100% amateur system and the fact that they were able to develop Dahlin with that is honestly more impressive than the fact that they may not know (or perhaps they did?) realized what they were dealing with.

Notwithstanding his natural talent - obviously

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg
I'm from Lidköping and know they've really struggled to get a team together in the past, including canceling entire seasons for certain teams. So I think what happened was those games were spread out during the year when it was unclear whether they had enough players on the team and it was between being "forced" into playing the clubs greatest player of all time, or forfeiting.

The more outrageous thing is that they appeared to have two U16 teams. One elite team (called U16) and a B-team ( called U16 A, naturally). That is the most Swedish thing I've seen today. "U c, we hav to tms. The 1st tm nd the A tm"
I'm not from Lidköping, but from what I've read Dahlin simply loves to play the game so I guess he didn't mind to play some extra games. He rented the ice rink on his own to play during the summer, right?

Also the teams are clearly named HC Lidköping U16 and HC Lidköping U16 2, the "A" is that Dahlin was an alternate captain. Here are the rosters for the U16 and U16 2 teams for the 14/15 season: U16 / 15 Division 1 | stats.swehockey.se U16 / 15 Division 2 | stats.swehockey.se

Why did I feel the need to go through old U16 rosters just to prove this? I have no f***ing idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino